DC Direct Re-releasing Batman Black & White Mignola Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome. I missed the first one and it looks like the only differences is the highlights on the belt and the symbol on the chest. Bought!

You were using Hot Toys as an example in your post. Not this. Nice try though. :wink1: :lol

i'll go with your definitions for both Hot Toys & this statue. If a variant is not a re-release, then this statue, like all of Hot Toys' releases, is not a re-release. this statue is a 'variant.' agreed?

so why are there cries of foul against this 'variant' of the Mignola statue?

why are there some that claim this 're-release' (or variant, as you define it) diminishes the value of the original statue?

if i call all of Hot Toys' battle-damaged,dx,2-in-1,etc. versions of previous releases 'variants' instead of 're-releases', would that make it all better?
:wave

i'll go with your definitions for both Hot Toys & this statue. If a variant is not a re-release, then this statue, like all of Hot Toys' releases, is not a re-release. this statue is a 'variant.' agreed?

so why are there cries of foul against this 'variant' of the Mignola statue?

why are there some that claim this 're-release' (or variant, as you define it) diminishes the value of the original statue?

if i call all of Hot Toys' battle-damaged,dx,2-in-1,etc. versions of previous releases 'variants' instead of 're-releases', would that make it all better?
:wave

Not really. You'd still be wrong. :dunno :lol

and you're still missing the point.

That if some people had gainful employment and weren't collecting off of a chore-based allowance while living with mommy and daddy, there wouldn't be any whiny posts about needing re-releases because they would've been able to buy them during the first release? :huh

I'd argue that it's worse with HT, because the new figure is always better and more desirable. With this re-release I fill no need to own both and the original still has some value. Whereas with HT, the originals completely lose any secondary market value when the upgraded one is released.

I'd argue that it's worse with HT, because the new figure is always better and more desirable. With this re-release I fill no need to own both and the original still has some value. Whereas with HT, the originals completely lose any secondary market value when the upgraded one is released.

:nono Do a quick ebay search for "Hot Toys Dark Knight 1." :wink1::lol

That if some people had gainful employment and weren't collecting off of a chore-based allowance while living with mommy and daddy, there wouldn't be any whiny posts about needing re-releases because they would've been able to buy them during the first release? :huh

Yes, its such a crime that not everyone is the same age and some people might not have been old enough to be gainfully employed, had to pay for college, other financial obligations, etc. at the time of the initial release.

God damn it people!!! Why can't you all have been born the same year Nam was?

Yes, its such a crime that not everyone is the same age and some people might not have been old enough to be gainfully employed, had to pay for college, other financial obligations, etc. at the time of the initial release.

God damn it people!!! Why can't you all have been born the same year Nam was?

There're things I've had to pass on because I wasn't there when it was released. At that point, I ether do one of two things. I either save up and buy it, or I accept not owning it because there's no feeling of entitlement just because I want it. :huh

There're things I've had to pass on because I wasn't there when it was released. At that point, I ether do one of two things. I either save up and buy it, or I accept not owning it because there's no feeling of entitlement just because I want it. :huh

I totally agree with you on the entitlement thing. Especially in this day and age, people think they're owed something when they're not. I've had to pass on plenty of things in the past when I couldn't afford it. And when I was on the position to afford certain things, I accepted the fact that certain things (DX Bats) were close to 3x the original MSRP and I'd have to pay if I wanted one.

I'm not necessarily agreeing with the whole reissue thing, but I see it from both points of view, and there sure seems to be a lot of talk from both sides of the aisle.

I personally don't mind that they are re-releasing this, I just think there should have been a little more done to distinguish it from the original...just the base, symbol and belt shadowing detail being different isn't really enough, IMO, to maintain the collectability of the original.

Now I'm all for more fans getting this but like Nam said, these are collectibles and they inherently should have an expectation of some type of exclusivity long after the piece is out of production...but like others have stated, these companies aren't really following that paradigm.

BUT, I have to say I haven't seen HTs practice of doing variants diminish the value of the originals too much. Maybe V1 Joker and a few others but not with the Batman stuff or the Predator stuff or the Iron Man stuff. But that's just talking from a strictly monetary sense. I think it does, in a way, diminish it's collectibility/exclusivity.

batcompu, you come off as one who does not collect Hot Toys figures.

they re-release variant/updated/battle-damaged/repaint/dx'd versions of previouse releases ALL THE TIME.

you get accustomed to it.

Lol if I don't collect them what are they doing in my collection ;)
I have everything from TDK that HT released.
And There never has been a re-release just better upgraded version like the DX but they where completly different from the others.

You could indeed make the police officer look like a better v1 Joker but thats a option not a re-release.

But I think you heard that enough already

Huh. All this time and I never realized that collecting was a competition. Well, I guess I've been playing the game wrong. Silly me. I always thought it was about collecting things that we like for aesthetic value or fun.

Who says it's a competition but when something is realy rare and you did a lot of trouble to get it apart from the money it has cost then it isn't nice if some time later is just availible again for everyone.

Then for me the statue I could be proud of is gone to just a statue.

Indeed almost looks like you read my mind :wink1:

If you are talking from the value standpoint, I agree. Though Nam is right that TDK V1 is worth quite a bit now, imagine what it would be worth if there were no DX Batman? Probably twice that. But I see HT's behavior this way--they are making significant improvements to their figures when they do a newer version. I want the best figure possible in my collection, and if an older version no longer holds up, then I have no qualms of getting rid of it for a newer version. I appreciate the fact that HT gives us the option! When a collectible essentially gets another production run with very minor tweaks equivalent to a "running change," then the value of the original goes down purely due to increased supply. And though its value might not drop as much as if, say, Medicom produced vastly superior updates to their Naked Snake RAH figures, you're still stuck with a collectible that has decreased in value (relative to what it could have been without the newer version), but without being given something new worth picking up as an update.

Lol if I don't collect them what are they doing in my collection ;)
I have everything from TDK that HT released.
And There never has been a re-release just better upgraded version like the DX but they where completly different from the others.

You could indeed make the police officer look like a better v1 Joker but thats a option not a re-release.

But I think you heard that enough already

I've conceded that Hot Toys' variants are not re-releases. That being said, this new Mignola Batman statue is a VARIANT, and NOT a re-release, correct? If so, then the comparison with Hot Toys' variants and this Mignola Batman variant is a valid one. Variants are variants. If you're not bothered by Hot Toys variants, then why be upset about this Mignola Batman variant? BTW, I'm glad to hear you're a Hot Toys collector too. :clap

Who says it's a competition but when something is realy rare and you did a lot of trouble to get it apart from the money it has cost then it isn't nice if some time later is just availible again for everyone.

Then for me the statue I could be proud of is gone to just a statue.

I think you're statue is STILL rare. This variant of your statue is just that - a variant. It's has a different chest emblem and a different base. That makes it a variant, and NOT a re-release. So people still can't buy the statue, which you worked so hard on acquiring, at just any store. It's not available again. A variant of the statue is.

I think you're statue is STILL rare. This variant of your statue is just that - a variant. It's has a different chest emblem and a different base. That makes it a variant, and NOT a re-release. So people still can't buy the statue, which you worked so hard on acquiring, at just any store. It's not available again. A variant of the statue is.

Yes it's a variant but for the most people they are the same (only real collectors know the difference)

I just wish they even made more changes to it then they did now.
With a complete different looking Mignola I didn't have trouble at all.
It just looks too much the same for being a real new statue instead of a re-release.

Oh man just found this today, im sooooo pumped!

i found out about the first one years after it sold out and way before i realized i was a collector lol.

Am i the only one that liked the original better, i thought the first symbol looked better on him?
...oh well beggars cant be choosers

Why is there so much reasonable discussion on this topic?

Why isn't there more ranting about how DCD sucks because the original won't go for $500 on eBay anymore?

:D

Back