DC Direct Re-releasing Batman Black & White Mignola Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The statue or re-releasing it?

re-releasing.

The staue itself is great but it's already made a few years back.

When DC doesn't know how to make great new statues just quit the line.

I think when you wanted a B&W Mignola then you had to buy it when it was released the first time.

I didn't buy it then so I have bought it later on too.
And not for the very expensive prices they are going on eBay.
When you have patience you will get it for a right price.

But now everybody can get it again and ok it's a variant but not with enough changes if you ask me.

When DC goes trough like this every statue thats special because it's sold out will have a re-release with some little changes.

And then whats the fun of collecting.

bm_bw_mignola_variant.jpg
StatueCollection3012.jpg

They both are great but I prefer the original release's logo and base .

Now I want both.:(

I think when you wanted a B&W Mignola then you had to buy it when it was released the first time.

That's an easy position to take when you already own the statue, but those of us that weren't able to pick it up originally feel differently. In my case, I was still a broke college student at the time. I didn't have the petty cash to devote to buying statues, and by the time I did it was already sold out and rare. I've occasionally scoured eBay for it over the years, but I've never seen it going for a price I'd be willing to pay for a statue that size.

There's no point in getting upset at DC Direct for re-releasing something you own. Yes, maybe it diminishes the resale value, but you've had plenty of time to sell it over the years if resale value was your primary concern. I understand if you're upset that you paid more than MSRP for yours on the secondary market, but that's just the risk you run with collecting. You never quite know if a company will re-release a statue or put out a superior version down the road.

Just be happy you've had this piece in your collection all this time, and be happy other collectors are being given a second chance to own it.

That's an easy position to take when you already own the statue, but those of us that weren't able to pick it up originally feel differently. In my case, I was still a broke college student at the time. I didn't have the petty cash to devote to buying statues, and by the time I did it was already sold out and rare. I've occasionally scoured eBay for it over the years, but I've never seen it going for a price I'd be willing to pay for a statue that size.

There's no point in getting upset at DC Direct for re-releasing something you own. Yes, maybe it diminishes the resale value, but you've had plenty of time to sell it over the years if resale value was your primary concern. I understand if you're upset that you paid more than MSRP for yours on the secondary market, but that's just the risk you run with collecting. You never quite know if a company will re-release a statue or put out a superior version down the road.

Just be happy you've had this piece in your collection all this time, and be happy other collectors are being given a second chance to own it.

These posts in high-end collectible forums always make me laugh. Complete lack of respect for limited edition collectibles until something they own is re-released and they start ranting about it. :monkey1

Lol I paid even less then retail price for this statue and I bought it on eBay a few years after is was released for the first time.
So everybody sold it for about 250$ and I bought it for 45$.

It's just patience some times.

the re-releasing of statues just stops the fun of collecting.

because the sold out statue that somebody was waiting for months to show up in his price range just is availible for everyone.

When somebody is realy proud they managed to get that very special statue and then it's re-released it's not a very special statue anymore.

So al the trouble you did to get that statue is for nothing.

So whats the fun of collection if everybody just can buy the special statues again like its a bag of dogfood at the supermarket.

quit whining b/c you're broke. I'm sick & tired of people _____ing and complaining about the aftermarket prices of the hot statues

Pay to play. I missed out on the doom EX when it was retail. Did I _____ & moan over it being almost $2K?

No

I waited for 5 F'n years so I could be able pay that price someday and I did. I own it now

Last edited:
I can empathize with collectors who are upset about value being affected by something like this. . .even moreso than with this, with Medicom who have actually re-released extremely rare chase variants as commonly available figures! But, I don't collect for the investment value, so this kind of thing doesn't really bother me personally.

quit whining b/c you're broke. I'm sick & tired of people _____ing and complaining about the aftermarket prices of the hot statues

Pay to play. I missed out on the doom EX when it was retail. Did I _____ & moan over it being almost $2K?

No

I waited for 5 F'n years so I could be able pay that price someday and I did. I own it now

:nono Hey now, you try collecting that ____ on a weekly allowance! :tap

batcompu, you come off as one who does not collect Hot Toys figures.

they re-release variant/updated/battle-damaged/repaint/dx'd versions of previouse releases ALL THE TIME.

you get accustomed to it.

Just my opinion, but from a "collector's" standpoint I think the HT "re-releases" are more justifiable than what Medicom does (and what DC Direct seems to be doing here). HT usually gives you something wholly new, that improves on previous releases in multiple ways. DX Joker, DX Jack Sparrow, DX Batman (excluding the oil, of course), 2-in-1 Superman, Mark II Iron Man all being examples. Medicom is the laziest of all, because their figures might be exactly the same apart from a date stamp (mostly Kubricks, but they've done it with RAH figures as well).

batcompu, you come off as one who does not collect Hot Toys figures.

they re-release variant/updated/battle-damaged/repaint/dx'd versions of previouse releases ALL THE TIME.

you get accustomed to it.

Name a single figure that's been "re-released" by Hot Toys. But before you do, consider that variants are not re-releases, neither are any of the other types you've listed. Even the DX figures are substantially different from prior versions of figures. A perfect example of a re-release would be Medicom's Zombie Snake which was a Winter Festival exclusive but re-released as a general release for their MGS line. HotToys has NEVER done this. Maybe spend less time trying to be condescending and more time researching? :huh

yeah, i agree about medicom. the other thing they do is omit a particular part of an item in the re-release; case-in-point: the extra cowling & stickers for 1:6 Kaneda's Bike.

but, hey, what can you do, right?

back to the topic - i'm not missing out this Mignola Batman statue again.

... But before you do, consider that variants are not re-releases...

so this statue isn't a re-release. it's a variant, right?

so why are people upset over this VARIANT?

the re-releasing of statues just stops the fun of collecting.

because the sold out statue that somebody was waiting for months to show up in his price range just is availible for everyone.

When somebody is realy proud they managed to get that very special statue and then it's re-released it's not a very special statue anymore.

So al the trouble you did to get that statue is for nothing.

So whats the fun of collection if everybody just can buy the special statues again like its a bag of dogfood at the supermarket.

Huh. All this time and I never realized that collecting was a competition. Well, I guess I've been playing the game wrong. Silly me. I always thought it was about collecting things that we like for aesthetic value or fun.

It's fun to have something like this in your collection and know that it has appreciated. And I'm a bit bummed that they are re-releasing. But since I had no intention of selling mine, it's really no skin off my nose.

And that's why, kids, that collectibles will never make you rich...

I own the original and I'm not "upset". I think its a cheap money grab by DCD but it doesn't upset me. I think they should have done something more substantial to make it a variant...maybe be the first B&W statue they colored or something like that.

I'll still get this to complete the set...always loved Mignola's work on Batman ever since I saw the "A Death in the Family" covers.

It amazes me how people get their panties in a wad when something is re-released. How does this new statue in anyway lessen the enjoyment you've gotten out of owning and displaying this in the past 5 years? If you just wanted to flip it to make money, there are many more things I can suggest investing in the make a profit. I paid almost $500 recently for a DX Bats, and to me its worth every penny. If Hot Toys announces tomorrow that they'll be re-releasing the exact same figure, I wouldn't be upset in the least. If anything, I'd be glad because then I'd buy another.

DC Direct sees a sure-fire seller in releasing this variant, and last time I checked, they were in the business of moving product and making money.

Back