DC Direct Lex Luthor 13inch

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just saw the figure at my local comic shop yesterday, but all I could afford buying was the newest $10.00 Corgi Batmobile :( . Anyway, I guess I've finally gotten over the shock of the large DCD body (I have Supes and GL), and despite of it, Luthor looked very appropriate in his silver age outfit. The sculpt looked really cool, with clear, penetrating eyes lending a look of authority about Luthor without the need for a frown or scowl, finishing off the figure's formidable and impressive appearance. Afterall, he was a muscle bound person just like any other key character in a comic book!

I just finished watching Superman the Movie on DVD, which reminded me of the Lex Luthor figure I had when that movie came out:
luthor12.jpg

I guess Gene Hackman, Luthor's then-trademark duds, and Mego's MO to give villains a skinnier body than the heroes (a Brando-esque Jor-El was buffed like Supes, wheras Zod was slight-bodied like Luthor) resulted in a curious combination. Sadly, I ended up modifiying my Luthor figure into the Unknown Soldier with some Liquid Paper and a marker.

Last edited:
Darklord Dave said:
The DC 13 are the only collectibles I don't get mail order because I have to have them the same day. So after work I tottle down to Golden Apple where I've gotten all the others on release day, including the very popular Superman. But they were SOLD OUT! I was so perturbed I didn't pick up the few token books I'd selected.

Guess it's mail order after all...

Love the Apple! Used to live in the hood, two blocks south of Melrose but yeah, their inventory for figures is understandably tight with only so much shelf space so I'm not surprised.

I had to resort to eBay for Superman and the Batman Begins figures, but was able to get Green Lantern and Superman Returns from online stores. Now I have them all pre-ordered from CornerStore, except for Shazam...just can't bring myself to get him. I would highly recomend CornerStore if you're looking to go the mail order route. They have great pre-order prices and seem to get the figures out really quick, I got my Lex from them yesterday.

100_0738.jpg

If you want any kind of customer service and/or timely delivery - don't go with DCBS - I know some people swear by them, and the prices can't be beat, but it's not worth the headaches.

And did you see the new head on Shazam Rockabilly? He's shaping up as my favorite of the bunch.

creecher said:
It may not suit you, and I don't know how shipping compares, for you Rockabilly, but check out DCBS https://www.dcbservice.com/

Those are some pretty good prices, but CornerStore has been good to me. To me if a company or person treats me good, I'll do business with them even if they are a little higher.

Nice pic there Rockabilly!! The DC 13" line has become one of my favorites!

Darklord Dave said:
If you want any kind of customer service and/or timely delivery - don't go with DCBS - I know some people swear by them, and the prices can't be beat, but it's not worth the headaches.

And did you see the new head on Shazam Rockabilly? He's shaping up as my favorite of the bunch.
I haven't seen the new head and to be honest that had nothing to do with me not getting him in the first place. It was more the fact that I have no idea about the actual character himself. I'll probably end up getting him anyway, usually when I collect a line I end up becoming a completist.

I received my LEX Friday from ALTER EGO COMICS, and I'd definitely recommend Marc & Co. if you want to pre-order the upcoming releases. Great prices, and unbelievable service: the figure was released Wednesday, and I had it 2 days later! I have all the announced releases pre-ordered, and I'll second what Dave says about the CAPTAIN MARVEL/SHAZAM figure: with the new head sculpt, I think it'll be my favorite of the bunch.

Darklord Dave said:
Would you care to elaborate on what problems you might have had Dave, or are eluding to? I have only experienced their delays.

I have to agree with you Rockabilly. Stick with them. A regular customer should be given special care. I am glad you are happy with them.

Thanks for the pics Rockabilly. Man I can not wait to get this figure on Tuesday. I don't care what anybody says I love DCD's 13'' line as much as SST Star Wars's line. Both are the main points in my collection.
Rockabilly, I feel the same way about buying stuff. My LCS has always been good to me for the past 7 years. While at times I feel like pre-ordering online for certain things, I can't bring my self to do that to Ken and Russ.

They won't ship until about 2 weeks after something's released. They will cancel items in your order and not tell you about it, which can be frustrating if it's sold out by the time you find out they aren't sending it.

Thanks Dave, duly noted.

I have only purchased three of the 13 inch figs so far, so I guess if they cancelled one, I would know because my whole shipment would have been cancelled. That hasn't happened, fortunately. I wonder if they look after their overseas customers better than their locals to avoid more messy problems. If anyone has any further comments I would appreciate any feedback.

I do think this line stands out from the rest of my collection, not just because of its out of step scale either, and even though the cut joints look terrible under tight super hero costumes.

Thanks for the pics!! Lex looks good. :)

I still haven't bought any of the DCD 13" figures. The scale problem really is a turn off to me. The few Medicom figures I have just look horrible cause of their scale problem but a 13" figure would look really bad IMO. Too bad cause I'm a diehard DC fan. :monkey2

I might bite on the Batman and Two Face figures though. I'm too big of a Batman fan to pass those up. What to do???? :confused:

I've had trouble with DCBS as well. Almost missed out on the DCD 13" Green Lantern because of them. I preordered the figure, but they didn't receive enough stock to cover their preorders, and I was in backorder limbo for over a month. I'd gotten fed up prior to then, but they don't allow you to cancel orders. So I was in a bind. Luckily they finally cancelled and I found one in stock for a less than ideal price.

I'll never use them again.

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I got bored the other day and decided to throw the Deluxe 13" Superman Clark Kent suit on Lex. I personally like it better than the 70's battle suit, but I'm thinking about changing the head over to a Hot Toys body, then finding a better suit. Just thought I'd share:

DSCN2425.jpg

Thats cool...President Luthor! I really would like to focus more on the line, but I've missed out on enough that I feel catching up would be a pain. I have the original GL though, so I wouldn't have to worry about that one.

Thats cool...President Luthor! I really would like to focus more on the line, but I've missed out on enough that I feel catching up would be a pain. I have the original GL though, so I wouldn't have to worry about that one.

Really he's the only pain! GL is the hardest to find. The Supes version 1 is easier to get ever since the second one came out, and I think a lot places still have the majority of them in stock.

That Lex looks pretty cool, BTW!

Back