Day of the dead (remake) trailer

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im not trying to bash it (im a huge fan of dawn of the dead remake) but this trailer does make the movie look bad.. they should've spent a little more time on it. and only a couple of the remakes listed earlier are worth watching twice.:D i dont want to start a debate or pissing match... but most of those movies should've been something entirely on their own as most remakes should.

hairlesswookiee said:
im not trying to bash it (im a huge fan of dawn of the dead remake) but this trailer does make the movie look bad.. they should've spent a little more time on it. and only a couple of the remakes listed earlier are worth watching twice.:D i dont want to start a debate or pissing match... but most of those movies should've been something entirely on their own as most remakes should.

I also will not get into a pissing match .. I admit up front, many remakes fail to recapture the magic of the old, or introduce enough new to warrant their existence. But I couldn't disagree with you more vehemently about the movies I listed "not worth watching twice." Hell, other than 2 or 3 I added for filler :lol , I own 12 on DVD and have watched them more than twice. To say classics such as The Thing, The Fly, Scarface, Evil Dead 2, etc. aren't worth watching twice is just silly.

hairlesswookiee said:
... but most of those movies should've been something entirely on their own as most remakes should.

And that sums up the opinion of most of the posters to this thread ... its not the original Day of the Dead, so it must suck. Well, I am willing to give a movie a chance ... just because some suit named it after a famous movie in hopes of cashing in ... doesn't mean the movie can't be good. Hell, half my house is covered in various Star Wars posters, statues, figures, etc. But if another sci fi movie was to come out named Star Wars, I would give it a chance to be a good movie before decrying it awful. However, I doubt George's lawyers would be so kind :lol

P.S. And if you thought about typing a smart comment about the Special Editions ... well, a couple hundred people over the last 10 years have already beat ya to it... try to be original next time :rotfl

DouglasMcc said:
While that's true in many cases, lets not forget:

The Wizard of Oz (1939) - Movie trivia time ... it WAS a remake of an older film.

The Thing (1982)

Scarface (1983)

The Fly (1986)

Evil Dead 2 (1987) - Sorry, ignoring the minor changes to the story ... this was, is, and will forever be, a higher budget remake of Evil Dead 1.

Cape Fear (1991)

Meet Joe Black (1998)

The Thomas Crowne Affaire (1999)

Vanilla Sky (2001)

Lord of the Rings (2001) - okay, this one is cheating, but Peter Jackson's masterpieces were better than the cartoon version :rotfl

Ocean's Eleven (2001) - I will take Pitt and Crew over the Rat Pack .. oh, blasphemy :lol

The Ring (2002)

Solaris (2002)

The Italian Job (2003)

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)

King Kong (2005) - More heresy I know, but I prefer the new version .. even if Jack Black does annoy the hell out of me with his role.

The Longest Yard (2005)

Okay, I could keep going, but you probably stopped reading by now. But all of those remakes were at least as entertaining as their original (and some were better). So, being a remake, doesn't guarrantee a crappy movie ... it may drop the film off at Crap U ... but not every one attends classes :lol

The Fly and The Thing are the only 2 there I agree that are better or as good. The rest suck. Remakes suck. But again, that's just me (especially Texas Chainsaw and the Ring, the originals are gods among movies, the remakes are Hollywood dribble, again jut me though.)

That looked pretty bad IMO.

Why did they even bother calling it Day of the Dead? It looks like it has nothing to do with the original Day of the Dead. The plot is completely different. Where's the military bunker? For the record, almost, if not all, of the original DOTD's outside scenes were filmed during the day.:monkey3

DouglasMcc said:
But all of those remakes were at least as entertaining as their original (and some were better). So, being a remake, doesn't guarrantee a crappy movie ... it may drop the film off at Crap U ... but not every one attends classes :lol

I disagree. That's just your opinion not fact.

Some of those movies were as entertaining as their originals but not all. Remember though, that's just my opinion. It's not a fact which is what you are basicly saying about your opinion.

The films you did mention at least kept the basic plot intact. This film shows no evidence that it relates to the original in any way.

I like the trailer but I do not see it as a remake. It has very few elements form the original. So I will see it on its own merits. Personally I love zombie movies and I do not expect them to be cinematic masterpeices. Give me some gore and some good chase scenes and I am happy.

DouglasMcc said:
Did any of the Halloween movies other than 1,2, and H2O actually occur on Halloween?

Well, actually.... Yeah, all of them actually.... :lol

Not meant as an evil jab... just stating the truth.

But this trailer DOES look pretty bad IMO... The movie could turn out to be much better in the end, but so far not so much. But as always I reserve full judgement until I see the finished film.

My only concern is the "fast zombie" trend that has swept over the horror industry. NOLD and it's brethren were excellent movies with loads of suspense and pacing that work IMO.... And Resident Evil (the original game) proved to me that slow bumbling zombies could make me jump. AND that they could still be horrifying....

It's reasons like this that make me want to devote my life to making scary movies, if only to save the genre from being sullied over and over again. :D

Bonehead15 said:
That looked pretty bad IMO.

Why did they even bother calling it Day of the Dead? It looks like it has nothing to do with the original Day of the Dead. The plot is completely different. Where's the military bunker? For the record, almost, if not all, of the original DOTD's outside scenes were filmed during the day.:monkey3

I disagree. That's just your opinion not fact.

Some of those movies were as entertaining as their originals but not all. Remember though, that's just my opinion. It's not a fact which is what you are basicly saying about your opinion.

The films you did mention at least kept the basic plot intact. This film shows no evidence that it relates to the original in any way.

I realize the above is just my opinion. Heck, this is an internet forum ... its full of 2 things: bullsh#t and opinions ... and sometimes its hard to tell the difference :D But I still think my opinion is a valid. Plus, the more I read the comments here, the more I see the same thing parroted: "It doesn't look anything like Day .. man it sucks." Well, consider 2 things: you have seen 2 minutes of what will more than likely be a 90 minute movie. That trailer was cut/produced by someone outside the film's inner circle .. someone in marketing probably. I have seen countless movies that looked nothing like they advertised. Just look at the recently released Man of the Year. Trailer painted it to be a happy feel good comedy. It was actually a rather thought provoking drama with comedic overtones. Whos to say the same thing isn't happening here? Who's to say the bunker isn't there (although that might be a stretch)? There really is no telling until we see the actual movie. And second, I think a lot of people have misconstrued my message. I admit upfront, this movie could easily suck. In fact, I am willing to say there is a good chance it will. However, all the comments I have seen so far amount to "well, it looks completely different from the original Day, so it sucks." That might not be the case. Just because some idiot in marketing named it that to cash in on Romero, doesn't mean it has to suck. That' my main point here.

Well, if anything... I DO understand your opinion here and it's actually very warranted in this case. :D

I never judge a film by the trailer.... But it can make me feel scared about the movie, just not 100% for good or bad.... Not until I see the entire Atrocity....or Masterpeice... :lol

Still....this time I think it's the former and not the latter. But really I can't say for sure...

DarkArtist81 said:
Well, actually.... Yeah, all of them actually.... :lol

Not meant as an evil jab... just stating the truth.

But this trailer DOES look pretty bad IMO... The movie could turn out to be much better in the end, but so far not so much. But as always I reserve full judgement until I see the finished film.

My only concern is the "fast zombie" trend that has swept over the horror industry. NOLD and it's brethren were excellent movies with loads of suspense and pacing that work IMO.... And Resident Evil (the original game) proved to me that slow bumbling zombies could make me jump. AND that they could still be horrifying....

It's reasons like this that make me want to devote my life to making scary movies, if only to save the genre from being sullied over and over again. :D

Okay, I know I shouldn't question you ... especially with your avatar and all ... but I did some more research. 3 occured on Halloween (forgot about it because no Micheal) and that excrement of an extended Busta Rymes music video happened on Halloween. But I do not remember anything that connected 4 or the "Druid Slayer" 5 to occuring on Halloween. I could be wrong, but nothing sticks out in my mind.

From a realistic perspective (yeah, kind of stupid to call a Zombie chat realistic LOL), I think the movies/games should contain a mixture of slow and fast zombies. I see no reason why the recently dead shouldn't still be capable of running at normal human speed. There tendons and muscles haven't had time to atropy, and the rigor mortis could be counteracted to a large degree early on by the condition itself. However, the long dead (the grave diggers if you will) wouldn't be able to Jesse Owens sprint. There muscles and tendons should already be worm food to some degree depending on age.

The Dawn remake didn't upset me, because the majority of the zombies were people who died in the chaos ... recently dead. In fact, the only part that irritated me was the notion that Zombies wouldn't be interested in the dog, since it wasn't human. Sorry, an unthinking killing machine is going to see that live dog as a walking meat tray. But overall, I like the first remake.

P.S. That brings up a good question Ving Rhames was in the Dawn Remake. Now, he is appearing in the Day remake. Is it suppose to be the same character ... possible set before the Day remake? Because, if not, I think its stupid casting. Not because of his action ... he's an intense guy ... just shy of the likes of Sam Jackson and Larry Fishburne. But, many of the people who go to see this will be fans of the first remake. Won't it confuse/irritate them ... especially seeing as how its so recently in their minds. I do wish someone would clear that up.

Well, actually... I just watched part 4 and am now watching 5 again... both occur on Halloween as well... but they don't factor into the story as much as in the other films. But it's kind of a mainstay for those films... they have to have Michael, the day has to be Halloween or the 30th.... and there must be a heroine to confront him.

Every film has done so... even H3....minus Myers and the heroine. :lol

If there is ANYTHING I know... it's Halloween...

Great, more Turbo Zombies. Thank you 28 Days.

I hope Ving is playing the same character before the events of the Dawn remake. When you watch the suturing scene, be aware that the nurse they used accidentally sewed the wound appliance to Mr. Rhame's arm during the filming of the scene. Talk about concentration!

It's gotta have Dr. Tongue and Bub, or it's not Day of the Dead!

JAS

Why do they mess with the originals! Leave them be! I dont need the same movie but updated for younger audience. I am just so sick to death of it, is it so hard to create new films from ones own mind? The studios practiacally live on remaking films. Maybe it'll be entertaining but I can just watch the original.
This isnt just about this film, Im just generally annoyed at all the crap that is churned out today, the majority remakes.
I'm not disputing there are some superb remakes but they are few and far between.
GUess we'lll see how it turns out.

Better not mess with Bub, he's too much of a zombie gem to screw up. Same with Flyboy, but he was safe.
DouglasMcc its just my opinion though.:cool:

...just checked the trailer and I cannot wait for it to come out :devil Looks great, IMO.

Back