Darth Vader life-size Bust--PREORDER NOW ON PAGE ONE!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Darth Vader life-size Bust

Yep, you guys are right..its canon to ROTJ...actually, maybe ROTS is the only version that has a real chain..now after looking through a slew of pics, its become more apparent.

Last edited:

Someone commented, I think Gino, that there was a hook on the chest armor to help hold the cape in place to make things easier on Prowse, maybe the chain change was to help lighten things as much as possible, don't know how old he was for ROTJ, would think he was still strong, but I never had to work hours and hours in that suit, so even the strongest may grow weary :lol

ANH_HD_vader04.jpg

This pic from ANH clearly shows its the same stamped metal piece as seen on the ROTJ cape.

I've never been into 1:1 busts, and I've been drooling over the possibility of eFx TIE's (Fighter, Interceptor, and eventually a Bomber) ever since the Interceptor was announced, and there's no way I'll let anything get in the way of those. They are my favorite starfighter designs in all of science fiction/fantasy and to miss out on replicas of them, of that high a quality, would be something I could never forgive myself for.

But seeing this...it's sooooo awesome.

I completely understand that and if I had to choose I would pick the TIEs over this but I think I can swing everything. Especially with the lack LOTR announcement to preorder.

For me, it started with Maul, it wasn't so much that it was a 1:1 bust, it was just an amazing piece depicting one of my all time favorite characters in film, so I got that, and once I saw it in person, my brain immediately got spinning as to what other Star Wars characters I'd like to see done this way (at the time I don't think any other film I like was getting 1:1 treatment so I only thought of Star Wars).

I can understand exactly where you're coming from with Maul. I was 4 when I saw Star Wars in the theater in 1979, and Darth Vader has been one of my favorite characters in all of fiction (really only rivalled by Batman).

Still, a piece of this caliber is more than I've ever considered including in my collection. The size alone is humbling, but fathoming the price is like trying to visualize a lightyear. It's astronomical compared to a 1:6 figure, or even a PF. Working myself up to being able to conceive of affording eFx ships was daunting enough (and I'm still not really there yet).

The worst part is that I am just as high on the fact that this collectible now exists, and all of the ineffables are becoming tangible limits that demand to be surpassed. Man, do I want this. It's one of those things that you've always wanted, but were too mired in the restrictions of the here and now to imagine was viable.

This is a good day to be a Star Wars fan.

I completely understand that and if I had to choose I would pick the TIEs over this but I think I can swing everything. Especially with the lack LOTR announcement to preorder.

I wish I could say the same. I only have Lando and the Sandtrooper in line for Star Wars figures, and those won't get cancelled. I have Stormshadow ordered, but after seeing Duke, I want to get fully into the Joe line. The Dead is pulling me back, and the Hot Toys DX Joker and TDK Batman are just as irresistible.

In all seriousness, I only need one kidney. :monkey1

I hear ya, the first collectible I broke money barriers with was the MR ROTS LE Obi-Wan Saber, I felt bad spending almost $400 for it, but I'd wanted one of the 1:1 sabers for so long and loved the look of Obi-Wan's ROTS saber so much, I pulled the trigger while I could, rather than chase down eBay prices.

Maul bust was actually almost a goof at first. He came out right around when I first go into Sideshow buying, so he was a Wait List item when I gave it a shot, and lucky for me, turned out an opening came up, and when I was faced with spend or don't spend, my Maul fandom silenced any rational thought and I just bought it :lol

Really though, even though I have 5 life size Star Wars pieces, though one was because I could get it quite discounted, I only pulled the trigger because each one really meant something. I passed on Bossk, Greedo and Ackbar. I'm not a PF or 1:1 or anything specific type of collector. I'm primarily 1:6 because of the fun I have with them and the affordability, but I'm open to any piece that captivates me and if it would really mean a lot to me, I'm willing to spend the money.

This Vader, if I can keep the order, will be the most expensive non-necessity item I've ever bought in life, but the emotional feelings I will get from having it, and the personal value I place on what it is, make it worth every penny for me. I don't believe in posessions being true happiness, I have a lot and there's still gaps in my life they won't fill, but I do think there is a certain level of happiness you can get from them when it connects you to something in your heart, which Star Wars is, and anytime something can do that for me, I'm willing to spend money on it.

If I had room to display this -- and the cash to buy it with -- I'd get it. The likeness to Shaw isn't there but it's a terrific head sculpt nonetheless.

I think 2 things are throwing the likeness, 1) the skin tone looks healthy, not as pale, at least from these photos, and 2) the emotional expression.

I've never seen Sebastien Shaw outside of ROTJ, and in that, we got 2 emotions, sadness and joy, so we only really know what his face looks like in those expressions, same for sculptors.

The bust has a very determined expression on it, we have no basis to compare with, we don't know how Shaw looked if he made that kind of face, so because of that, it looks like it isn't him, but it may be a really good likeness if we had a context to put it with.

I love the portrait, the detailing, it's really well done, I might have liked it even more with an emotion like when Luke pulls the mask away, but it's still a really great Anakin reveal head.

I was spoiled with the first high end pieces I scored. I got my ANH MR saber for $140 shipped. I got my Code 3 TIE x-1 Advanced for $100 shipped.

I'm a 1:6 collector too, and I'm pretty content with it. I have select statues, but they're accents; not a focus. If I go for this, it will be a lot like jumping off a cliff with wings made of wax and mattress feathers. :D

I've got just the thing for you... :D

Jesus.

That's just plain mean. Starting bid $900? :sick

Yup, everything I get outside of 1/6 is because it's so nice in my eyes I make an exception.

To date, Darth Maul is my only PF, I only own 2 Star Wars dios, with the new one lined up to be my 3rd, and then I have a few life size busts and the Salacious Crumb 1:1, everything else Star Wars is 1/6, from Sideshow.

I used to be a big GG mini bust collector, my first high end collectibles, but with thier quality decline, character/pose choices and all, I've become very selective, haven't gotten one in well over a year with only one on order, Hoth Luke, because I really like it, though now he'll be on the cutting block for Vader :lol

No down payment required = Everyone orders

Everyone orders = Higher edition size

Higher edition size + cancellations = More supply than demand

More supply than demand = Less likely to hold value over time

+ A better opportunity for a fan to get the piece at a discount.

-theropod

+ A better opportunity for a fan to get the piece at a discount.

-theropod

I'm not really hung up on the ES but I would prefer that the ES wouldn't be so large that quality control suffers as a result. Once that happens price becomes quite a moot point.

The exclusive stand is cool, but will get the regular. The outrageous shipping costs, 19% VAT tax and customs taxes will make avoid ordering this directly from Sideshow...

BTW is the head able to rotate or stays at this angle?

2mz07zd.jpg

This thing is truly amazing. I have no interest in 1:1 busts, but it's really a must have. The inside of the mask is detailed. The Anakin portrait needs to be removed to put the helmet on. That was the only way they could do it and not make his head look funky. The exclusive stand is so you can display the Anakin portrait and have the mask top and dome sitting seperate.

Interesting. So a stand is required to display the Shaw head and helmet separately. Maybe I'll find a non-SS type of stand for the helmet.

You guys just have to pay an extra $50 for the exclusive. I'll probably have to fork out $450 for the exclusive! Shipping my 1/6 Ex Vader was already $60! Can't imagine how much this would come up to! :monkey2:monkey2

I know what you mean I live in EU too :monkey2:monkey2

Someone must have messed with it when I was around. It does sit and look right. Not like in my pics.

Back