Darth Maul 12" Image Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey no worries. This is the kind of necroposting we LIKE!!!

Great shots there...especially the second one!

Hope you guys still do, because this is a SUPER necropost!
My explanation is that I got one for Christmas, and I had a few pics I wanted to share, but suspected there was already a photo thread for him. Took some searching, but I finally found it here! So here's the first pic. There is some slight photoshop work on his right arm (the left side of the pic) to add a little more red light from his sabers. I also color corrected the red lighting (courtesy of a red lightbulb) to be more red, because it turned out yellow. I also combined 2 pics together (one for the light from each saber blade) and made the background completely black. Oh yeah and I made the lightsaber effects! :lol
Enjoy!

maulcopy.jpg

Any thread that pertains to the Sideshow 1:6 scale Darth Maul figure is automatically exempt from any complaints of necroposting.

And I like that shot.

Any thread that pertains to the Sideshow 1:6 scale Darth Maul figure is automatically exempt from any complaints of necroposting.

And I like that shot

Oh, thanks!

You guys were so quiet before I thought people had stopped paying attention to this thread!

not my best work, but I'm trying to whip up another cool shot, should be done soon... :D

Hey DarthNeil, how'd you do Ep1 Kenobi? Did you do the custom headsculpt yourself? And also what did you do for the white Jedi outfit? Looks to me like a set of bleached Qui Gon robes :D

I'm thinking of trying to do a Kenobi to go with my Maul sometime soon...

EDIT: on second thought, his outfit looks like Hasbro... is it?

Hey DarthNeil, how'd you do Ep1 Kenobi? Did you do the custom headsculpt yourself? And also what did you do for the white Jedi outfit? Looks to me like a set of bleached Qui Gon robes :D

I'm thinking of trying to do a Kenobi to go with my Maul sometime soon...

EDIT: on second thought, his outfit looks like Hasbro... is it?

The hs is one of the lucky ones from sunoch (limited quantity) and the paint job is from the immortal hands of Darren C... and yes, the robes are from the Hasbro release with some slight SSC adjustments (but they'll do for now).

Oh thanks!

I have the Hasbro Ep1 Obi, now I know his clothes can be used!

For my sculpt I think I'll get a Clonobi and give him a shave...:lol

(or rather recast the head, cut the beard off the recast, then resculpt the missing parts and mold/cast that, then paint it...)

Oh thanks!

I have the Hasbro Ep1 Obi, now I know his clothes can be used!

For my sculpt I think I'll get a Clonobi and give him a shave...:lol

(or rather recast the head, cut the beard off the recast, then resculpt the missing parts and mold/cast that, then paint it...)

The Hasbro robes work fine-- just make sure to get a SSC belt (with accessories).

Great pic katkuru.

Please tell me I didn't spend an hour and a half ruining my favorite figure...

FILE0541.jpg

FILE0538.jpg

FILE0539.jpg

FILE0540.jpg

I know it's been done before, and much better too. I forget who used an enterbay body for their Maul, but it looked awesome. Had no extra bodies, so just used Maul's original one. And yes, in the interest of time, I did skimp on the arm tatoos... and no I didn't do the back either...

Last edited:
So is anyone gonna tell me "Yep, you ruined Maul... that's just terrible" or "no... I wouldn't call it ruined exactly..." or anything? If nobody responds to me, how can I tell that I'm not just being ignored?

hmm... perhaps I am... :lol

So is anyone gonna tell me "Yep, you ruined Maul... that's just terrible" or "no... I wouldn't call it ruined exactly..." or anything? If nobody responds to me, how can I tell that I'm not just being ignored?

hmm... perhaps I am... :lol

being totaly honest here... it looks like you rushed it a little? the concept is good, the attempt is good, But the paint looks a little... goopy?

Some tips to help you make it better.

Take the head off the body, strip all the paint on the body off, using what you learned from this attempt, Start over.

Use artists tape, and carefuly mask off the areas you want to paint. vut the tape with an x-acto blade, so it's lines are as strait as you can make them.

Paint slowly, carefuly, and thin your paints down tremendously. Paint in layers. 10-20 thin coats will go on much smoother, and look much MUCH better than 1 thick coat.

you might also want to consider using some primer to help the paint stick to the smooth plastic of the body.

if you don't mind doing it, , sanding might also be an option to help the paint adhere. paint sticks better to a rough surface.

Once finished, GENTLY AND CAREFULLY pull off the artists tape, then spray the body with a sealant.

Hope that helps, and remember NOTHING is ever perfect on the fitst attempt. it takes revisions and revisions, and revisions.

being totaly honest here... it looks like you rushed it a little? the concept is good, the attempt is good, But the paint looks a little... goopy?

Some tips to help you make it better.

Take the head off the body, strip all the paint on the body off, using what you learned from this attempt, Start over.

Use artists tape, and carefuly mask off the areas you want to paint. vut the tape with an x-acto blade, so it's lines are as strait as you can make them.

Paint slowly, carefuly, and thin your paints down tremendously. Paint in layers. 10-20 thin coats will go on much smoother, and look much MUCH better than 1 thick coat.

you might also want to consider using some primer to help the paint stick to the smooth plastic of the body.

if you don't mind doing it, , sanding might also be an option to help the paint adhere. paint sticks better to a rough surface.

Once finished, GENTLY AND CAREFULLY pull off the artists tape, then spray the body with a sealant.

Hope that helps, and remember NOTHING is ever perfect on the fitst attempt. it takes revisions and revisions, and revisions.

Hmm.. well I don't need to strip it off, cuz it's acrylic (comes off when you scratch it enough with your fingernail).... and also I'm afraid the boil and pop method or whatever may damage Maul (if you didn't know already, these stupid SS heads are NOT easily removable)...

These designs are SUPER intricate, and I couldn't really recreate them by masking them off with tape very easily...

Also it wasn't 1 thick coat... it was two thick coats! :lol seriously

The reason I used acrylic is because I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep the tats or not... one day if I decided "oh, well you know what, this was a stupid idea" (or if I was so scrapped for cash I had to sell him one day) I could just scrape them off with no damage to the body whatsoever.

Also, the tatoos are supposed to be black his skin is supposedly red, but the body was already black, so I painted the negative of his tats in red. The other problem with that is that the body is shiny, so the black parts in his tats are shiny when they should be matte

If I ever get another better body (maybe an enterbay:naughty), I'll definitely spraypaint a masked off area of the chest red (after spraying whatever body it is black) then work the details in in black and seal it like you said. I'll prolly recast his head and paint the recast myself (I'm getting the hang of painting eyes, might actually work out well), then stick it on the new body.

For now, he's lumpy maul :lol

thanks for the advice tho! :D

So, everybody, which figure (Medicom/Sideshow/or other) do you think comes closest to the movie, Darth Maul?

(Sorry, don't have time to read all posts)

Back