Darth Maul – STAR WARS Mythos Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Darth Vader (Mythos) Statue

I just don't wanna pay $350 for a statue thats going to be worth $250 or less. Once these collectibles start losing value its over. Like the SS/Weta stuff. Once that line got over produced and lost value everyone get rid of their stuff.

I think the SS/Weta line died because SS began making far better products. The SS/Weta Line was nice but had some awful looking character faces that looked nothing like the actors.

Plus it's proof that the LOTR films are still no Star Wars saga ;):lecture

Sideshow better buy a bigger warehouse or hand out more $100 gift cards at Comic-Con this year.

I think the SS/Weta line died because SS began making far better products. The SS/Weta Line was nice but had some awful looking character faces that looked nothing like the actors.

LOTR films die out quickly. They don't have staying power in the market. Refer to Clerks 2 analogy.

If you are collecting to make money then don't buy, if you are collecting to enjoy the piece I don't see a problem, I'd never buy a car if I felt that way, very few things in this world gain value, I buy things to enjoy them, if once I've enjoyed them I get back what I paid or more then its a bonus.

I collect to enjoy making money to buy cars.

I think Gammy is an amazing piece, finally doing the species justice @

I know... I keep telling myself that I don`t need it but today I went to a LCS and almost pulled the trigger , it´s quite impressive in person. But sadly I have to pace myself or else I´ll be penniless for Ben, Boba, Dark Rider of Mordor an possibly Sauron :gah:

LOTR films die out quickly. They don't have staying power in the market. Refer to Clerks 2 analogy.

I love the LOTR films. I even love the Hobbit. But for whatever reason I don't care about having any collectable from this line. I use to have the SS/Weta Sauron and has was cool to be sure. IMO it's still the best LOTR item out there until SS releases the new Sauron. I tried owning the Golum PF and had that for about a week. Just something lacking in the LOTR characters. I like them but there just is no R2 -D2, Han Solo, Luke, Vader, Fett, Jabba, Yoda, etc.....

LOTR just lacks the cool factor somehow for me. Now it could be because I saw the SW films when I was very young and the LOTR films when I was much older. But I have found that the LOTR films have started to loose a bit of something. I still think FOTR is still a great film. I really think TTT was never all that good and ROTK has not aged well for whatever reason. I did really enjoy the Hobbit but that could get old soon also.

ANH and TESB are number 2 and 3 on my all time list and they are still as easy to watch today as they were when I first saw them when they were first released. I also still enjoy ROTJ but without question it is the weakest one. I really have no use for the PT.

But SW is >>> then LOTR

Comparing old style fantasy adventure to science fiction action movie separated by 30 years of fandom.

:cuckoo:

Is Jaws your favorite film?

Blah! I hate it.

Comparing old style fantasy adventure to science fiction action movie separated by 30 years of fandom.

:cuckoo:

There is some truth with what you said. But SW fandom was there from day one and it stuck. LOTR has nothing even close. I also would not really call SW true Sci Fi. It is more Fantasy then Sci Fi. Futuristic fantasy would be a more fitting title. But hey, I understand, It had spaceships, so It's Sci Fi.

I also made the comparison because no other trilogy of films really comes close to having that sense of aw and wonderment that SW had.

Now don't get me wrong. My original statement was said more as a Joke but I am always amazed at how no film has had the lasting power that SW has had as far as collectables go. I am guessing that 30 years from now LOTR collectables still won't be all that huge.

I remember a big debate on another site with all of these AVATAR fans trying to say that it was the next SW and it was going to be bigger. Needless to say that while it did make a ton of money. Most people have seem to forgotten about it.

Blah! I hate it.

There is some truth with what you said. But SW fandom was there from day one and it stuck. LOTR has nothing even close

3rd best selling novel of all time...... 6th highest grossing film of all time ......(above the Phantom Menace)....:stick

Not sure if comparing Avatar to LOTR was serious..... :gandalf

As for the popularity of collectibles, Star Wars is a kids movie. Lord of the Rings always had a darker tone with a more concentrated cast of characters.

I love both, but I don't really compare them to each other. You can't get the Bezerker Uruk statue for under $1500 these days nor Lurtz. Not many Star Wars PF's could fetch that. Both series are lovable in their own way.

What's a Lord of the Rings? Do they have laser swords? ;)

Don't get me wrong, LOTR is epic. I would watch that trilogy over the SW prequel.
But nothing. Will. Ever. Touch. The Classic SW Trilogy. Ever.

FYI, the Greivous will be pre-cyborg, so maybe not what you might be expecting.

yeh isn't it based off this image of Greivous?:
WarrenFu.jpg

great pics maverick, your saber looks like it tilts the other way to mine?. Mine tilts down on the left side and raises up on the right. where it looks like yours raises up on the left side and goes down on the right. if you know where i mean.

That to me is a great image and model for a piece of any kind. But I feel it fits into this line perfectly.

3rd best selling novel of all time...... 6th highest grossing film of all time ......(above the Phantom Menace)....:stick

Not sure if comparing Avatar to LOTR was serious..... :gandalf

As for the popularity of collectibles, Star Wars is a kids movie. Lord of the Rings always had a darker tone with a more concentrated cast of characters.

I love both, but I don't really compare them to each other. You can't get the Bezerker Uruk statue for under $1500 these days nor Lurtz. Not many Star Wars PF's could fetch that. Both series are lovable in their own way.

So what you are saying is that 30 years of fandom comment you made does not really matter since the LOTR books have been around far longer then the SW films ;) ;)

Was not comparing Avatar to LOTR. At least that is not what I intended.

I think SW Pf would fetch a higher price if there wasn't a million other SW items one could get. LOTR film based collectable are more rare and thus the value should go up on amazing pieces such as the Bezerker PF.

I am not denying LOTR popularity. It just does not seem to have the grasp on pop culture like SW has.

Last edited:

6th highest grossing film of all time ......(above the Phantom Menace)....:stick

Domestically SW and TPM (blah) kick ROTK butt.

Adjusted for inflation Domestic

Star Wars is Number 2
Empire is 12
Jedi is 15
TPM is 16
ROTK is 52

Of course none of matters Avatar and Titanic are number 1 and 2 :gah::cuckoo::slap

However I did not mean for this to turn into SW vs LOTR. The comment I made was for the SW fans. I would never post it in the LOTR thread.

My point had more to do with the collectables and how many LOTR items have not been able to hold their value.

I believe another factor is the existing characters in SW vs the characters in LOTR. In LOTR we don't get to know the bad guys, Sauron is cool but we don't know much about him, neither they talk a lot lol and they appear in the movie for a few minutes (not many one on one epic fights). And the "heroes" IMHO aren`t as likable as the ones in SW (no offense Frodo/Sam).

Also star wars is always expanding and one gets to know better the characters through the EU. I love LOTR but when it comes to figures/statues one of the first reasons I buy them is because of the character itself. Nevertheless I´m craving for the Dark Rider of Mordor, that is a badass statue.

The thing about collecting SW and LOTR might be seen from another point of view too. SW is sci-fi (ok: space opera, fantasy, whatever) involving futuristic weapons, armors, ships and aliens, and LOTR is a fairy tale, very cool nevertheless, but involving classic metal armors, swords and horses - and some dragons & monsters.

You can always get a real life sword or even a real knight armor or helmet (not replica), used in some war in the world, and thus have something above just a movie prop. But with SW you can only get a replica since there is no such thing as functional lightsaber or space fighter (yet).

No one in his right mind will ask you if the lightsaber you have works like in the movies, but with a LOTR sword you might be asked if it does. And your answer should be that it doesn't, because clashing a replica LOTR sword to a real life sword might show something not encouraging for the LOTR sword owner.

Anyway both SW and LOTR are great, indeed the LOTR books are older than SW, but the impact over the world will always be SW's strong point.

The contracted ended between Sideshow and Weta. That's why the line died.

Depends on if you're a fan of The Lord of the Rings or not. SW for me has a much higher chance of dying out than The Lord of the Rings. These films are still very popular. Its just easier I think to maybe get into SW since they're by nature a more simple material than The Lord of the Rings. Are we really going to use Clerks 2 as the hard evidence of truth? :lol

There is some truth with what you said. But SW fandom was there from day one and it stuck. LOTR has nothing even close. Now don't get me wrong. My original statement was said more as a Joke but I am always amazed at how no film has had the lasting power that SW has had as far as collectibles go. I am guessing that 30 years from now LOTR collectables still won't be all that huge.

Fandom for The Lord of the Rings has been around for quite some time. It started with the books and has continued through the movies. I think the lasting power depends on what you're a fan of. SW has been turned into every kind of collectible (they've been action figures around since the 70's) while The Lord of the Rings has stayed statues (and only been around for 12 years). Some of the most expsensive pieces from the SSW series are worth more than any SW statue I've seen in the last 10+ years. In the end I don't care if its huge or not. I just want great items representing the ficitional universe I loev the most.

As far as holding value the old action figures have but most of the newer stuff has fallen into the same hole as most items put out. They might start off hot but eventually fall off. Star Wars wise its the vintage stuff that has really held its value and for The Lord of the Rings its been stuff like The Balrog, Cave Troll, etc that have really stayed well above. I can tell you that there is more than that though which goes for above retail on ebay. So both have their highs and lows in that regards.

I just figured I'd kick in some POV from a different perspective. :lol

I believe another factor is the existing characters in SW vs the characters in LOTR. In LOTR we don't get to know the bad guys, Sauron is cool but we don't know much about him, neither they talk a lot lol and they appear in the movie for a few minutes (not many one on one epic fights). And the "heroes" IMHO aren`t as likable as the ones in SW (no offense Frodo/Sam).

Also star wars is always expanding and one gets to know better the characters through the EU. I love LOTR but when it comes to figures/statues one of the first reasons I buy them is because of the character itself. Nevertheless I´m craving for the Dark Rider of Mordor, that is a badass statue.

Get into the universe more. There's a lot of info for you to explore.

Last edited:

The thing about collecting SW and LOTR might be seen from another point of view too. SW is sci-fi (ok: space opera, fantasy, whatever) involving futuristic weapons, armors, ships and aliens, and LOTR is a fairy tale, very cool nevertheless, but involving classic metal armors, swords and horses - and some dragons & monsters.

You can always get a real life sword or even a real knight armor or helmet (not replica), used in some war in the world, and thus have something above just a movie prop. But with SW you can only get a replica since there is no such thing as functional lightsaber or space fighter (yet).

No one in his right mind will ask you if the lightsaber you have works like in the movies, but with a LOTR sword you might be asked if it does. And your answer should be that it doesn't, because clashing a replica LOTR sword to a real life sword might show something not encouraging for the LOTR sword owner.

Anyway both SW and LOTR are great, indeed the LOTR books are older than SW, but the impact over the world will always be SW's strong point.

I just want to stress that I do love LOTR. FOTR is in my top 10 of all time. My fav. characters in the films tend to be flawed Boromir, Thorin, and King Théoden. ROTK is still in my top 20 and I really loved the Hobbit and I am looking forward to the next two films. So other the TTT I really don't have anything again LOTR.

I Love all the ancient armor and swords. So for me it has more to do with the characters who are all good but not great. Thus the reason I don't care to own any LOTR items.

I agree 100% about the bad guys not being all that interesting.

I Love all the ancient armor and swords. So for me it has more to do with the characters who are all good but not great. Thus the reason I don't care to own any LOTR items.

I think that's the key. For someone like myself and others who are fans of Middle-earth there are lots of great characters. Star Wars has three great characters Obi-Wan, Vader, and Yoda. The rest are just good at least for me. That being said I enjoy both with one obviously being a bit higher on the scale. :lol

For the record I have this on order because this item is going to be all kinds of awesome. :rock

Back