Darkseid Premium Format Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. Thanks for the run down. It's very interesting to read the progression. I would kind of understand if the price increases with lower runs, but for the runs that do 2000 - 5000+ I would have thought it would be cheaper. I'm not comfortable paying more than what I already have for my Batman PF, Superman PF, Green Lantern PF and now my Wonder Woman PF. If they keep going up I don't think I can keep it up for multiple preorders, maybe if it's only the one or stretching at 2 at a time. I'm not loaded with cash by any means but I do what I can. I'm hoping just to hold out and finish the Big 7 set and I'll be happy. Darkseid would be a fantastic addition but I will count on hopefully winning the competition to get him haha

I also think they are charging more for these reasons:

1) competitors charge more (XM)
2) people are going to by them anyway
3) they see what the resale goes for on their older items, why not cash in on it. "If buyers are going to pay $2500 for Doom on Throne we can certainly sell something new for $600!"
4) they can always offer coupons, bonus points, or free shipping to entice people if it is not selling well and people will think they're getting a big savings

I also think they are charging more for these reasons:

1) competitors charge more (XM)
2) people are going to by them anyway
3) they see what the resale goes for on their older items, why not cash in on it. "If buyers are going to pay $2500 for Doom on Throne we can certainly sell something new for $600!"
4) they can always offer coupons, bonus points, or free shipping to entice people if it is not selling well and people will think they're getting a big savings

XM does charge more but you also get a lot more from them. Full casts, elaborate bases, a ton of switch out parts, killer paint apps, low edition sizes, and unheard of QC. I don't mind SSC charging more but give us solid statues with great paint apps and stellar QC. I always thought SSC should establish a premium 1/4 fully sculpted line. I would pay SSC more for the kind of quality and low ES XM puts out.

When it all comes down to it for me, I'm only buying these Justice League member statues because it's coming from Sideshow. If someone else were putting these out I would be buying them there. The QC issue should be something of great importance, not overlooked and just "accepted".

XM does charge more but you also get a lot more from them. Full casts, elaborate bases, a ton of switch out parts, killer paint apps, low edition sizes, and unheard of QC. I don't mind SSC charging more but give us solid statues with great paint apps and stellar QC. I always thought SSC should establish a premium 1/4 fully sculpted line. I would pay SSC more for the kind of quality and low ES XM puts out.

See and this is where I don't agree. I honestly don't think 1/4 scale statues are worth much more than $400 at retail, solid or not, paint apps or not unless the figure itself is larger than the average at that size. Hulk I get it, Thanos, Darkseid, Doomsday, Lobo...I get all that. But I don't get paying $660+$150-$200 in customs and shipping for a 1/4 scale statue that processed. Low ES just means they didn't run as many as they could have off the factory line. And as for elaborate bases, that's debatable. Even when Sideshow tries to charge me over $400 I usually slap some rewards points down just to get it under that mark so I don't feel like I'm getting hosed.

There will come a point when they just charge too much at this scale. Much like I refuse to pay the $80 for Batman black and whites, I always find them cheaper, usually much cheaper I always find a way to get average size 1/4 scale statue for $400 or below, and when the day arrives where I can't, then I guess I just stop buying. Luckily for me Sideshow does their rewards program, otherwise it'd be much harder to do.

I don't like it when a company charges me a premium price just because their competitor is charging that same premium price. The statue has to be worth the price. If their competitor adds value to the statue and justifies their price, then I expect the same added value and justification from SSC.

And as a customer, it's up to me to say "NO" and not buy the statue when the premium price is not justified.

I don't like it when a company charges me a premium price just because their competitor is charging that same premium price. The statue has to be worth the price. If their competitor adds value to the statue and justifies their price, then I expect the same added value and justification from SSC.

And as a customer, it's up to me to say "NO" and not buy the statue when the premium price is not justified.

Uh, same price? Not quite.

See and this is where I don't agree. I honestly don't think 1/4 scale statues are worth much more than $400 at retail, solid or not, paint apps or not unless the figure itself is larger than the average at that size. Hulk I get it, Thanos, Darkseid, Doomsday, Lobo...I get all that. But I don't get paying $660+$150-$200 in customs and shipping for a 1/4 scale statue that processed. Low ES just means they didn't run as many as they could have off the factory line. And as for elaborate bases, that's debatable. Even when Sideshow tries to charge me over $400 I usually slap some rewards points down just to get it under that mark so I don't feel like I'm getting hosed.

There will come a point when they just charge too much at this scale. Much like I refuse to pay the $80 for Batman black and whites, I always find them cheaper, usually much cheaper I always find a way to get average size 1/4 scale statue for $400 or below, and when the day arrives where I can't, then I guess I just stop buying. Luckily for me Sideshow does their rewards program, otherwise it'd be much harder to do.

I'm not suggesting SSC start pricing all of their 1/4 pieces at a premium. They can still offer their PFs with questionable QC at the standard $400-$430 range for normal sized characters and keep pumping these pieces out by the thousands. Business as usual. However, I'd still like to see an ultra premium line. A fully sculpted 1/4 line that has solid casts, impeccable pant apps, and low edition sizes. I would pay more for that. Many collectors would. That's a fact. Just look at all the peeps scrambling to get their hands on XM merch. For collectors that want business as usual or don't want to spend more $$$, they can pass on the ultra premium pieces and wait for the standard mixed media PFs with cheaper pricing. It's a win-win for all parties involved.

I have long advocated SSC dumping the COM line (which SSC has openly admitted doesn't sell well) and transforming it into a relevant 1/4 fully sculpted ultra premium line. I'd pay a reasonable premium for these pieces. Many of us would.

I mean movie version, is that included in DC line

Yeah, I figured you were talking about the movie version. I just collect comic based statues so I'm thrilled to have an awesome 1/4 scale Supes in my collection. Please keep in mind that EVERY company has some duds in their lines. SSC has done a great job at keeping the duds to a minimum with the DC line. Far more many good pieces have been released than bad ones.

By the way, WELCOME to the forum Briareos! It's good to have you aboard.

I'm not suggesting SSC start pricing all of their 1/4 pieces at a premium. They can still offer their PFs with questionable QC at the standard $400-$430 range for normal sized characters and keep pumping these pieces out by the thousands. Business as usual. However, I'd still like to see an ultra premium line. A fully sculpted 1/4 line that has solid casts, impeccable pant apps, and low edition sizes. I would pay more for that. Many collectors would. That's a fact. Just look at all the peeps scrambling to get their hands on XM merch. For collectors that want business as usual or don't want to spend more $$$, they can pass on the ultra premium pieces and wait for the standard mixed media PFs with cheaper pricing. It's a win-win for all parties involved.

I have long advocated SSC dumping the COM line (which SSC has openly admitted doesn't sell well) and transforming it into a relevant 1/4 fully sculpted ultra premium line. I'd pay a reasonable premium for these pieces. Many of us would.

I would go for a Premium line but I doubt SS would do it, people who would by the regular ones would QQ that theirs doesn't look as good as the premium versions even though they would know that they cost more...

Darkseid looks pretty cool but you know he will be hollow and his base is pretty basic, other then maybe a extra COH for the EX I doubt they will offer any other switch outs.... Overall it's a pretty simple looking statue.... I think $600 is probably a little high considering the QC you get with it, but Unforntantly I don't have another option so I'll probably buy him...

If XM ever got the DC license my SS DC Collection would quickly go up on Ebay... Even though SS Superman PF looks good I would much prefer a fully sculpted one over the Pajama Version..

I would go for a Premium line but I doubt SS would do it, people who would by the regular ones would QQ that theirs doesn't look as good as the premium versions even though they would know that they cost more...

Darkseid looks pretty cool but you know he will be hollow and his base is pretty basic, other then maybe a extra COH for the EX I doubt they will offer any other switch outs.... Overall it's a pretty simple looking statue.... I think $600 is probably a little high considering the QC you get with it, but Unforntantly I don't have another option so I'll probably buy him...

If XM ever got the DC license my SS DC Collection would quickly go up on Ebay... Even though SS Superman PF looks good I would much prefer a fully sculpted one over the Pajama Version..
$600 for a hollow statue would be a total rip-off. I don't sense Darkseid will have any part hollow.

I said "That I've bought". The only Man of Steel I own is this one

52330ae919fe3f8b565fa44f68a8e4cd.jpg

And hes perfect.

$600 for a hollow statue would be a total rip-off. I don't sense Darkseid will have any part hollow.

Don't be so sure. Apocalypse is hollow as can be. Hell, even his head was hollow. The Hulk MAQ and Rhino COM...also 1/4 pieces that are hollow. Solid casts are a thing of the past with SSC. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Darkseid turns out to be an eggshell piece...even at $600 a pop.

Back