Dark Knight: The Boy Wonder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
I'm surprised this wasn't posted already. All Star Batman and Robin was entertaining to a degree but the fact it was unfinished I thought was a great metaphor for the storytelling...anyway here we go:

batman_retarded.jpg

​DC's big news out of Wondercon this weekend (for me, at least) is that psycho-iest of the psycho Batman tales, Frank Miller's All-Star Batman -- you remember, the Batman that A) asked Robin if he was retarded, b) had rough sex with Black Canary on a filthy pier, and C) painted himself yellow to meet Green Lantern and also drank lemonade -- is coming back. The series will receive six more issues, which won't even start coming out until 2011.

But my favorite part is this: so remember how DC's All-Star series was supposed to be the ultimate, most iconic version of these characters? And Grant Morrison's All-Star Superman was, but Frank Miller's Batman had him running around Gotham City, cackling to himself how awesome it was being Batman, which is totally entertaining but not at all how Batman should act? Well, DC has retitled the series Dark Knight: Boy Wonder, and -- apparently -- decided that this is part of Miller's Dark Knight Returns universe. While I'm baffled at the colon (surely a comma would have better better) I'm even more baffled by DC shoehorning this ridiculous tale into the Dark Knight world. Yes, The Dark Knight Strikes Back is also bat____ insane in much the same way as Miller's All-Star Batman, but The Dark Knight Returns isn't, and thus you now have one ridiculous Batman universe with a small island of sensible storytelling in the middle. Look, DC, just let this one go. All-Star Batman is a massively entertaining, horrible Batman story unto itself.

This Series was Terrible, the Art was good but the writing was Awful, it's like Miller all of the sudden hates the Batman character and is writing him terribly on purpose or something

It was always complete OTT nonsense. It entertained me purely for that reason (plus the art of course) but as a Batman story it sucked massively. The one thing I don't get though, considering ASB&R is now part of the Dark Knight universe - ____ Grayson was portrayed with some sympathy in this series but his non-appearance in The Dark Knight Returns and subsequent trashing in The Dark Knight Strikes Again points towards Miller hating the character.

I enjoy Miller's work for the most part but I think with this series he is having a big laugh at the expense of his readers, I couldn't get past the 3rd issue so I doubt I'm going to give it a go again.

If I need to read Miller I'll go back to his Daredevil run, Ronin, or Batman Year One.

Evan

The one thing I don't get though, considering ASB&R is now part of the Dark Knight universe - ____ Grayson was portrayed with some sympathy in this series but his non-appearance in The Dark Knight Returns and subsequent trashing in The Dark Knight Strikes Again points towards Miller hating the character.

It might be the focus they were looking for to continue the series. We might see why ____ was treated the way he was in TDKSA. Honestly the series began to feel really unfocused the closer and closer to the "last" issue we got.

Miller's work in the 1980s was amazing, but his more recent stuff is not readable, IMO. Not his fault. It just happens when folks get older and have less drive/inspiration. Look at Metallica. But I would disagree with any who say his work on Daredevil, Wolverine, and the Dark Knight Returns is over-rated.

That stuff is better than 99.99% of what we get in comics nowadays.

I didn't care for the Dark Knight Returns. Clearly I missed out on something with it because I know its massively popular, but it did absolutely nothing for me. I had the same reaction to Arkham Asylum.

As for this...all I can say is one day I'm going to dress up as Batman and walk around saying, "I'm the goddamn Batman."

I didn't like it at first, but I accept it for what it is, a different take on the character. I was really starting to enjoy it when they pulled the plug, I wanted to see in what direction he was taking the Joker.

This story is so awesomely ridiculous. I don't understand how people don't find this entertaining. People get way to caught up in continuity.

Bingo. And with just what I'm reading about Morrison's contrived mess in the Batman continuity...how could you not welcome a change of pace?

God. I love Morrison but his recent Batman trek all leading up to the Return of Bruce Wayne, requires flow charts, Advil and a pad and paper to figure out.

God. I love Morrison but his recent Batman trek all leading up to the Return of Bruce Wayne, requires flow charts, Advil and a pad and paper to figure out.

I agree. Sometimes it is like immense tangents that come back together and break off again. It is interesting though and good work none the less IMO.

That doesn't sound good. Batman and Green Arrow are the only things I read from DC. Sounds I am going to have a difficult time when I finally catch up once the TPB's are back...

I've gotten to the point now where I don't read anything until it becomes a trade and everytime I read something I take it as a stand alone story that is someone's artistic representation of a character. I threw continuity out the window a long time ago. If I ever buy an individual anymore it's purely for the artwork inside.

ASBAR (All Star Batman & Robin) is jack ____, plain and simple. ASBAR is without a doubt the dumbest, most irresponsible thing DC ever did with Batman. It's even more ridiculous that this piece of ____ has now been retconned on company orders to fit in with The Dark Knight Returns. TDKR was supposed to be the future of the DCU after everything went to Hell in a handbag. It was serious and deserving of the praise heaped upon it. But with The Dark Knight Strikes Back and now this fiasco, the world of TDKR has been just about ruined. Grant Morrison's All Star Superman will now be the ONLY All Star title that anyone will ever remember simply because it was superhero storytelling at its best and boldest. Nothing like ASBAR at all.

I agree. Sometimes it is like immense tangents that come back together and break off again. It is interesting though and good work none the less IMO.

Morrison's crazy but I love him none the less. His 10 issues on Batman and Robin have been epic, especially the first six which showcased Jason Todd. As the Return of Bruce Wayne gears up, it's going to be interesting to see if we get a wonderful piece of storytelling on par with All Star Superman or something bat____ crazy like RIP.

Back