Dark Knight: The Boy Wonder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I enjoy it,it is apparent that Miller is taking a satirical look at the character,possibly even poking fun at his own work,my friend and comic book retailer even went s o far as to say "it's Marv in a batsuit"

There are rumors of All Star Green Lantern, Flash and Aquaman in the works as well. Even one of an All Star Justice League.

I am glad I give up comic about 15 years ago because of all the craps they are pushing out and seems like they didn't stop since! Unless Neal Adam return to draw Batman, I am in but will wait for the graphic novels. Btw, I do agreed that Miller is way over-rated piece of turd!

I actually think Miller's All-Star Batman is closer to a realistic portrayal of a vigilante than most fans would like to admit. The All-Star Batman was just terribly written, but the core concept of Batman being a sociopathic control-freak who feels entitled to act in any way he sees fit is a legitimate interpretation of the character in my opinion.

After a while, I began to realize what Miller was saying was that without each other, Bruce Wayne and Richard Grayson would have spun out of control. They needed each other to become the BATMAN and ROBIN we know and love. The final scene in the graveyard was quite moving.

The second DK could have been great if Miller had a good inker and colorist. The rushed look of the art could have been corrected by a great inker, and Lynn Varley's "Photoshop for beginners," was just plain embarrassing.

Alright so the infamous issue with Batgirl dropping the c-bomb...that was part of the unfinished volume 2 I'm guessing? Can't find anything but vol 1 on Amazon.

I actually think Miller's All-Star Batman is closer to a realistic portrayal of a vigilante than most fans would like to admit. The All-Star Batman was just terribly written, but the core concept of Batman being a sociopathic control-freak who feels entitled to act in any way he sees fit is a legitimate interpretation of the character in my opinion.

Batman is not the Punisher.

People have a natural right to self-defense. They delegate that right to a government so as to prevent subjective enforcement. If the government fails at it's job, the people retain the right to defend themselves. Any man who takes it upon himself to become a model of human perfection for the purpose of doing what the police are too corrupt and/or incompetent to do is a rare breed worthy of the highest admiration.

Batman rules. Feminist social theory blows. :monkey1

Any man who takes it upon himself to become a model of human perfection for the purpose of doing what the police are too corrupt and/or incompetent to do is a rare breed worthy of the highest admiration...Batman rules. Feminist social theory blows. :monkey1

:confused: I'm not sure how the proposition that someone who dresses up like a giant bat to beat criminals with his bare hands (to paraphrase Lucius Fox) may be a bit mentally unbalanced is a "feminist" theory. I would call that common sense. Imagine someone doing this in real life, like your neighbour, most of us would deem them a total nutter.

After all Batman does not live in Somalia or the USSR where civil society is completely non existent, or alternatively disfunctional. He is a product of a kind of metropolitan political corruption that may have been plausible circa 1939, but is increasingly dated in today's reality. Batman really lends himself to an extreme interpretation is all I am saying. There are in contrast a lot of well-adjusted superheroes. Peter Parker is a good counter-point to Bruce Wayne.

It just sounded like the classic feminist dismissal of a driven man. :dunno

Gotham is not a real city. It's pure abstraction. Its crime is through the roof and no one is capable of dealing with it other than Batman. It seems simple to me. I don't understand how that necessitates a vigilante like Bruce Wayne be sociopathic, obsessive complusive, and generally unhinged. I think he would have to be very much the opposite.

Don't say mean things about Batman. It makes me grumpy.

I wouldn't read it for it's "realism", because no, I wouldn't want that Batman in continuity.

The benevolence of Batman is what makes him appealing. Take that away and yes, he becomes Frank Castle or a s#$%ty Image character from the early 90's, or a sociopath.

Luckily Bruce Wayne isn't.

I wouldn't read it for it's "realism", because no, I wouldn't want that Batman in continuity.

The benevolence of Batman is what makes him appealing. Take that away and yes, he becomes Frank Castle or a s#$%ty Image character from the early 90's, or a sociopath.

Luckily Bruce Wayne isn't.

This.

not too short.

I think miller is a hack. He's a one trick pony and pretty one dimensional. That being said, I really digged dark knight returns and some sin city ____ when I was in my early teenage years. His take on bruce is only grasping out a few of the things about the character that hold to be true over time...and the rest he just fills in the blanks with..yeah, like marv in a batsuit.

Have you tried reading the dark knight strikes again? Batman pushing 65 is making out with a 15 year old girl. Sounds like frank miller to me.

So much unnecessary dialogue in both those batman novels too...All the news casting and political and social commentary might have hit really well in a cold war 1980's America but now it just seems to be completely obvious and silly to me. It's like telling a joke everyone already knows.

Have you read that batman:black and white vol. 1 story, "legend." read that instead.

Eww, Batman making out with a 15 year old girl? Sounds like I can safely strike that off my to read list. :lol

I agree that it may be more realistic for Batman to be sociopathic, and that is a legitimate take on the character for an alternate Batman universe. But it doesn't fit in with the character we know and love. And its even worse if this is supposed to be the quintessential (I don't remember the actual word used for what All Star is supposed to represent) Batman.

Back