D.ick Tracy SDCC exclusive by Shocker Toys

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vader

Super Freak
Reaction score
From https://www.shockertoys.com/news.php?article=47

Tribune’s D.ick Tracy attends San Diego Comic-Con this year as exclusive Black and White action figures brought to you by Shocker Toys. This is a first for D.ick Tracy to appear as hyper-articulated action figures in creator Chester Gould’s black and white comic strip style. The world’s most famous detective will be available in two limited run action figures. Both will be available on-site at San Diego Comic Con, with the standard issue B&W version also available to non-attendees at www.shockertoys.com/store.php. The B&W variant figure, which features D.ick in his trench coat with a Tommy gun will ONLY be available on-site for a lucky few at Comic-Con.

I have the Shocker Toys Maxx figure and the actual figure is a lot better than the proto pics were. He's fun as a toy, but doesn't really compete with today's standards for sculpt and paint. I would say if you're a Tracy fan it might be worth it for you. I like Maxx enough that I would pick up another must-have character from the line but I defintely won't be impulse-buying any based on the aesthetics.
Michael let me review Maxx over at MWCToys if anyone is interested - https://mwctoys.com/REVIEW_042709b.htm

The are garbage!!
Those are hidious....

Care to explain why?
Also these were paint tests you can be sure the finished figures are perfect in every way. As far as the 90's figure comment I do not remember them being so articulated back then. I think most of the crits are based on our rep and not our toys which is a shame as we have come so far in the past few months. As we have said about IS1 the toys will speak for themselves.

I think his face isn't there. He needs the sharp features, particularly that nose that looks like he was squished flat with a sledge hammer. As it stands, it looks like a mix of more "realistic," curved features along with the stylized, pronounced lines and too squinty eyes reminiscent of the old comic strip, and I'm not sure that that works as well as choosing one style over the other and going with it. Personally, I would prefer something more like the old comic strip, similar to the Mez-Itz. The hat also seems to sit a bit awkwardly. But apart from that, I don't think they are all that bad, just perhaps not the best representation of ^^^^ Tracy, IMO.

I wouldn't mind a ^^^^ Tracy figure... but the trench coat being the limited edition is unfortunate.

If later released in color I might get one.

Thank you for the feedback karamazov80

I think you are right about the mix of two styles but when we first made him 3-D it looked very akward and then the factory gave it a more human look when cleaning it up which may have caused the problem.

My feedback for you, besides the figure not looking good, are the black lines around the belts and buttons on that jacket make the figure look even cheaper.

My feedback for you, besides the figure not looking good, are the black lines around the belts and buttons on that jacket make the figure look even cheaper.

Again why dosen't the figure look good?
As for the black lines it was to mirror the line art of the newspaper strip some may like it some may not. We didn't want a plain b&w figure but something a bit different.

It does't look a thing like D!ck Tracy. The sculpt, the flow of the joints, it just doesn't look good. Like something from the mid 90's or a customized Marvel Legend.

I think his face isn't there. He needs the sharp features, particularly that nose that looks like he was squished flat with a sledge hammer.

I'd have to agree with that... if not for the hat and coat he wouldn't really be indistinguishable.

I actually like the black lines. NECA did the same with their comic Turtles and I love the way it looks.
I think that the biggest problem is the quality of the sculpts in the proto images. I know it's important to get pics out ASAP but it seems that Shocker products change more than most companies from proto to production. There's a roughness to the sculpt that I think people are responding to.
I'm a huge Maxx fan and I would have bought Maxx regardless because there is so little product. But the truth is I wasn't excited at all about the figure until I held the smokey Maxx variant in-hand at NYCC. The prototype images I had seen before that were not impressive. While the finished product does have some issues, it's a hell of a fun figure. I imagine the Tracy figure will look much better in-hand too but the images just don't sell it, IMO.

Back