Customs costs and problems for Foreign Collectors

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shipping to the Netherlands isn't as expensive as most of the examples posted above. Customs and postal services is mostly about 1/3 of the entire worth of the package (shipping included). So it doesn't even reward itself to go bargain-hunting online, because you'll end up paying the same amount in the stores here anyway. Only statues that aren't available here are worth it.
Since the merch stores also have to deal with Customs, the prices here are mostly the same as the American prices are, only with a euro sign behind it.

Sending to France using USPS Priority let you bypass safely the custom.
I have bought hundred of statue from US seller without needing to pay anything.

However, if you use USPS express or any other similar express service (DHL, UPS, FedEx) you have a good deal of chance to pay something like 30-40% of taxes and yes the tax includes the shipping.

I order some stuff from the US and it costs me quite a bit some times to ship it to Canada. I try to ship most of my stuff using USPS, but some times I can't avoid UPS which adds a lot of duty charges.

I buy mine off a dealer in the US and then get it sent with value marked below the tax point.......job done.
Except if I want an EX version :banghead

I buy my EX directly at Sideshow. I was only made aware recently the Fedex does not always use the harmonized code that Sideshow provides. On Sideshow the harmonized classification started with a "9" while Fedex started with a "3" WTF was my first response. I had my work shippers checked the 2 codes. Sideshow was a tariff free while Fedex was not. I end up paying an additional 6.5% tax, so I end up paying 18.5% on taxes plus I had to pay thY stupid $10 vat handling fee! After finding this out, I looked at all my past invoices. Somehow Fedex made almost 75% error & costing me hundreds of dollars! Because of time frame, I was not able to get back my money. I don't know what the harmonized codes in Europe are, but u may want to check it! Don't let Fedex tale advantage of u because of their mistakes. Check both Sideshows & Fedex invoice & make sure it is correct!

Something a bit off-topic, but still fits here.

Just got my military uniform and my new shoes.

The uniform was delivered by the mailman.

I paid 50 euros because it was in a shipment that had drugs along them.
AND I paid another 25 because they had to scan it, and so on.

My shoes, which are regular converse shoes.

I paid ANOTHER 25 euro for frigging customs.

I had to wait 16 days for both packages to go through customs. 16 days.

This crap pisses me off.

Something a bit off-topic, but still fits here.

Just got my military uniform and my new shoes.

The uniform was delivered by the mailman.

I paid 50 euros because it was in a shipment that had drugs along them.
AND I paid another 25 because they had to scan it, and so on.

My shoes, which are regular converse shoes.

I paid ANOTHER 25 euro for frigging customs.

I had to wait 16 days for both packages to go through customs. 16 days.

This crap pisses me off.

I completely understand what you are saying.

They even add the shipping costs to have a higher total to calculate the taxes ...

I have a good one as well. Im in Australia and the shipping isnt to bad for most items but.... In May i recieved shipping notice for my predalien bust. I was all excited to recieve it and the day it was supposed to be delivered it never showed. Several days later i recieved a phone call from fedex telling me that i needed to pay a customs fee which was fine as the value was over $1k AUD. They let me know that it was $350 AUD which was for a number of things and one particular one was $139 for FedEx's handling and inspection charges. I explained to the lady on the phone that it would be fine to email me an invoice to pay the duty and customs fee and they would be paid within 2 days as i had to move funds around to cover it.

The next day i recieved another call from FedEx which i missed as i was at work and the different time zones in Australia as they wanted a call before end of trading hours demanding the payment by this time as well. So pretty much it was to late by the time i got the voice mail. So this got me annoyed and i frantically rang FedEx trying to get them and no answer as they were closed. I called the next morning asking what was going on and to tell them that it had been paid. So in the end i recieved the bust and all packed up and not even opened for inspection which i was glad but curious as to being charged for inspection. I thought it was all over......

So then on the 2nd of July i recieved a letter from FedEx's Lawyers demanding that i pay the $139 for the "inspection" and handling of my bust or legal action would be taken within 72 hrs. So i called the lawyers and had to produce proof that i paid this to FedEx 2 months ago which i did and all i recieved was we will have to investigate this further and try and resolve the situation in the accounts dept.

So to quote nine " This crap pisses me off!! "

Not only were they rude but to threaten to take legal action against me for a PAID invoice made me instantly see red!

Norway have the same problem, or I am just unlucky. Recently bought a True Type slim, loose from US and paid 30-40$ for the package shipped. After a few days after he shipped it I got a message that it has reached Norway and will be sent to the custom department.
After three months I got another message that they had lost my package in their warehouse, but found it again. After another two weeks it arives at my post office. It was sent as a gift so it shouldn't cost that much after customs, but I had to pay 450 NOK (70$) to get it out.
I got another package incoming and its a HT cannibal Jack. This weights alot more and got more value. So I calculated it and maybe need to pay around 2000 NOK (around 320$) which is BS :mad:
Luckily it was sent 2 months ago so maybe there will be 2-3 more months before it gets thru customs so I can raise money.

Guys...I get realized as Canadian. But if I got stuck paying hundreds of dollars for 1/6 figures (and I mean on top of the $100s they already cost). I would probably try hard to find another hobby. How do you guys justify the costs?

I completely understand what you are saying.

They even add the shipping costs to have a higher total to calculate the taxes ...

That is what pisses me off too. For example if having an item that costs $100 and shipping is $50, they add taxes for $150. :slap:gah:

I live in Canada and order from the US a fair bit. All I can say is that it's pretty inconsistant and hit and miss. It also depends on the shipper and the info they provide. Here's 2 examples;

Got a Sideshow Vader 1:1 bust last month from a US online store which I paid $1150 for, and didn't have one penny more to pay when it got to my door.

Then a week later I received my HCG Alien bust in which the seller wrote the value lower at $450 from it's original $999 and I had $160 to pay when it got to my door.

I also found out that it's clever to write the value lower that it should be, got HT Davy Jones today and the sender put the value at $5 instead of the original $125. I didn't had to pay anything for customs.

I also found out that it's clever to write the value lower that it should be, got HT Davy Jones today and the sender put the value at $5 instead of the original $125. I didn't had to pay anything for customs.

They do that for me too but it's a dangerous game since the insurance on the package goes with the value they put down. So if it's broken when you receive it, they only pay for the indicated value. In your case $5.

Something interesting regarding packages sent from EU to USA (and maybe from other countries to US - just ask for info at your postal office). I sent a Christmas present to a friend of mine in US and the package was sent November 17th, and I was worried why the delay since another package I sent to Canada arrived fine more than a week ago. And the package for my US friend is still in the Romanian Postal Customs because of this:

coletjaxxpostaromana2b.jpg

Translation:

As a result of your request sent by the Romanian Post website, we inform you that during the period 11/18/2010 to 12/08/2010 considering tighter security measures on the relationship with the United States, due to terrorist attack alert, it is no longer accepting any presentation sending mail (mail of letters, parcels or EMS) to the USA with a weight equal to or greater than 0.453 grams. For items which have already accepted the presentation on 17.11.2010 and 18.11.2010 to receipt of the notice of restriction, they will be kept in balance to alert including termination - 08/12/2010 or until receipt of new information.
Thank you for understanding

I talked to the ladies at my local postal office and I've been told that US government extended the restriction period to January. And that this measure applies to most of the EU countries excepting packages sent with SkyPak or other carriers - but you need to ask first. So the Christmas package will arrive to my friend for Easter :(

Japan Post: Regarding Temporary Suspension of acceptance of USA-addressed postal items carried by aircraft

Japan Post Places Restrictions on Shipments to the United States

November 12, 2010

Japan Post Service Company (Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo-to, Representative Director: Shinichi Nabekura) has announced that, due to the elimination of air transportation of postal items over 453 grams (16 ounces) in weight following the airport security enforcement recently put in place in the USA to counter possible terrorist threats, acceptance of these postal items will be suspended for the time being from November 17, 2010.
We will make a relevant announcement if or when the situation changes.

Details from ebay.com.au

***Australia Post surcharge for packages to the United States***

24 November 2010 | 11:04AM EST

Due to additional security measures, Australia Post have advised that articles over 453g and all Express Courier International and Express Post International services will be subject to an additional $9 security surcharge and may face transit delays of up to 48 hours.

International post regulations for each country can be found on Australia Post’s website here and any enquiries regarding the surcharge should be directed to Australia Post.

eBay is currently waiting for further news regarding the surcharge, however sellers are recommended to avoid using calculated shipping on items that ship to the US as the shipping calculator is not currently configured to include the surcharge.

Regards,
The eBay Team

https://www.dhs.gov/ynews/releases/pr_1289237893803.shtm

Back