Customs By Z Hot Toys (and other...) Display Build and Collection Display!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zildjian

Freakzoid
Reaction score
So.... my journey begins to a proper display for my growing collection of Hot Toys, Sideshow figures, and various other collection pieces. I am building a custom display case using the IKEA PAX systems and will chronicle the journey to completing here.....

The start.....

IMG_1604.JPG
IMG_1606.JPG
IMG_1608.JPG

Basic 78" Wide, 79" Tall, 22" Deep Pax units to begin.....

Im also building my own cases. Im keeping it really really simple with just 2x4s and acrylic.

Do you have a plan with the cases you have? Gut them, connect them, paint them? The other issue i have is making sure the shelves are all the same height but can accomodate the biggest piece (Hulkbuster in 2016).

The other issue was depth. The tumbler is 19" and jabba's throne is 18.5. Big stuff really eats up the space.

The other issue was depth. The tumbler is 19" and jabba's throne is 18.5. Big stuff really eats up the space.

These babies have fully adjustable shelves as well as being 22+" deep!

I will have more pics this evening hopefully!

Very interesting using the wardrobe system as an over all "cabinet", the depth sounds great for Jabba and the Tumbler. I will be watching with interest as I really am not in love with my Jabba set up at the moment, and the right table seems to be hard to find.

Ok... so here are some updates.... When I went to order the custom cut acrylic panels I noticed that there were going to be large black holes left on the door frames where the cross beams were eliminated, and being hyper OCD I needed a way to cover them up. So, I though of tin tame, electrical tape, even screwing thin aluminum sheets to the frames. None of that would work perfectly. Then I found iron on black wood veneer strips. These are used to finish the edges of wood shelves etc.

Black Melamine 7/8" x 50' Edging - Wood Veneer Edge Banding - Amazon.com

This worked perfectly. All I did was iron them on to the inner face of the door frames and they stuck like mad.

IMG_1628.JPG
IMG_1629.JPG
IMG_1630.JPG

Next it was on to final assembly of the original cabinet set up. Once I got the 80" wide cabinets up and assembled, I noticed I had exactly 30 1/2" on the right for another cabinet. Well Ikea carries a 29 1/2" wide cabinet! Bought.....

IMG_1635.JPG
IMG_1643.JPG

Then it was on to the wiring of the 12 light bars....

IMG_1632.JPG
IMG_1634.JPG

Now it is just custom modifying the door for the 30" wide cabinet, ordering the acrylic and we will be done.

That looks pretty good. But with everything else being white, i wouldnt have opted for the black/brown cabinet.

That looks pretty good. But with everything else being white, i wouldnt have opted for the black/brown cabinet.

What else is white? Are you talking about the room? It is a tan, with a tan carpet (being replaced by cork soon) with dark brown accents throughout. Also, the white cabinets looks cheap.

Good call on the third cabinet. I'm OCD on things being somewhat symmetric though. Do you think about moving the skinnier one to the middle?

Good call on the third cabinet. I'm OCD on things being somewhat symmetric though. Do you think about moving the skinnier one to the middle?

Can't, the way the 2 on the left are constructed are done so in a way to allow the sliding door feature. If I put the skinnier cabinet in the middle, there would be no sliding doors.

Back