Custom Fireflys

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the skinny bod on your Firefly Joe, it suits his character imo.
The gaiters look alright, but the stock Firefly radio pouch should be moved to someplace less out in the open. I think Sideshow screwed up on the scale of that pouch a bit.

Has anyone tried removing the gray panels from Firefly's BDU and modified the hood to be a standard collar yet?
Buying another BDU and painting the head to match would be easier, but it might look pretty cool modified.

I like the skinny bod on your Firefly Joe, it suits his character imo.
The gaiters look alright, but the stock Firefly radio pouch should be moved to someplace less out in the open. I think Sideshow screwed up on the scale of that pouch a bit.

Has anyone tried removing the gray panels from Firefly's BDU and modified the hood to be a standard collar yet?
Buying another BDU and painting the head to match would be easier, but it might look pretty cool modified.

You can remove the grey (I thought they were black) panels from the uniform with an exacto knife, by cutting each loop individually very gently. You can then run an iron on top of those gaping holes, and they should swell shut.
Just be careful when you do all of this. As far as modifying the hood, I just wouldn't It looks very cool in my opinion.:yess:

You can remove the grey (I thought they were black) panels from the uniform with an exacto knife, by cutting each loop individually very gently. You can then run an iron on top of those gaping holes, and they should swell shut.
Just be careful when you do all of this. As far as modifying the hood, I just wouldn't It looks very cool in my opinion.:yess:

Personally I like Firefly the way he is. I'll wait for the eventual second version Sideshow might someday do for the original FF.
I was just wondering if anyone else has done it and what it looks like.

I've heard of a tool called a seam ripper that might do a better job at removing the stitch from the panels.

Personally I like Firefly the way he is. I'll wait for the eventual second version Sideshow might someday do for the original FF.
I was just wondering if anyone else has done it and what it looks like.

I've heard of a tool called a seam ripper that might do a better job at removing the stitch from the panels.

Like everybody else in the beginning, I too did not like what they came up with. I even considered ripping off the black parts. But now, it's my favorite figure I own, and it remains untouched. I absolutely think it is the most creative figure (in the line) they have come out with so far. I just wish they would take more risks like this one in the near future. I am a huge 80's GI Joe fans, and grew up on it, but I honestly think that a more modern version of each figure would be pretty amazing. I was bummed out about Firefly not being like the old one I knew back in the day, but I got over it.
Keep the aesthetics of the original, but take a look at what is out there now. Just like they did with Firefly. Even with the black mask, he looks awesome. I did opt for the camo head though.
But like you I too would maybe like to see what he looks like without the black panels.

Like everybody else in the beginning, I too did not like what they came up with. I even considered ripping off the black parts. But now, it's my favorite figure I own, and it remains untouched. I absolutely think it is the most creative figure (in the line) they have come out with so far. I just wish they would take more risks like this one in the near future. I am a huge 80's GI Joe fans, and grew up on it, but I honestly think that a more modern version of each figure would be pretty amazing. I was bummed out about Firefly not being like the old one I knew back in the day, but I got over it.
Keep the aesthetics of the original, but take a look at what is out there now. Just like they did with Firefly. Even with the black mask, he looks awesome. I did opt for the camo head though.
But like you I too would maybe like to see what he looks like without the black panels.
Yep I agree completely.
I thought I wouldn't like the black mask but it made his head really stand out. It matches well with the black panels.
But he's got the camo head on. Sideshow did such an amazing job matching the paint to the costume that I had to display it.
It's tough, but I like both the original and the update. Personally, I prefer them to stick with the original design as much as possible. Dusty is a good example; very close to the original, but without the black colored shoulder straps, belt, and boots, I feel he's lacking something. Easy fix there but I just wish SSC included them.

As cool as FF is, I think Beachhead was that much better. :dunno

It's just an opinion. Beachhead is awesome, but I just thought it was just like the old design. They took a serious risk with the Firefly design, and I (personally) think it paid off.
I understand why people don't like him though. I just don't agree.:gah:
A great many of those who initially did not care for the figure have come to like it.

It's just an opinion. Beachhead is awesome, but I just thought it was just like the old design. They took a serious risk with the Firefly design, and I (personally) think it paid off.
I understand why people don't like him though. I just don't agree.:gah:

I think that is where we disagree. Most of us prefer the "old" design. FF as a figure looks cool, but to me its just not FF. I think is has to do with the color scheme they gave him. Colors should have been darker. There no way a saboteur would have used such bright colors. He looks as though he is working a snow job (No pun intended). He looks more like an ice viper than FF, well to me anyways. Like you said its just an opinion.

I have only been collecting Sideshow Joes for about a month, but this thread inspired me to try a Firefly custom. He needs a lot of work, I tried to use extras from stuff I already have. I plan to add as I go along. I don't like the Sniper head sculpt, I hope I can find an spare Cobra Trooper or Firefly, but I am not going to pay a fortune! I am holding off painting the head until I find one I like better.

customfirefly.jpg

Back