Custom Bases for Hot Toys Figures (Jack Sparrow Base finished, interests list)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REVdioramas

Freakzoid
Reaction score
CUSTOM BASES FOR HOT TOYS FIGURES
Cheers form italy!

I'm a collector and I have a passion: creating dioramas. I've tried not to work on commission, trying to create my personal line of dioramas, to give these creations the dignity of an official product.

Unfortunately, I don't like to work with low quality material as polystirene, but only with wood, metal and other pure materials.
This is basically because I think that if you buy the best action figures on the market they deserves the best display!

Even if it's just the beginning, my line has a discreet success, more in my country than around the world, but it's a start, and I'm proud of this.

Talking with a friend i discovered that not all the collectors have the necessary space and money to display one of my dioramas, and he suggests me to create an other line of bases for Hot Toys figures, less expansive and with the dimension of a base of a HT DX figure.
So, besides my bigger dioramas, I'll create a line of custom bases, higly detailed and with the same care I have when I work on bigger projects. I'll also try to contain the price under 55 EUR, third of the price of a diorama.
I'll weep this page always updated, hoping to see one day my works in your incredible collections.

BASES LIST
1 - Captain Jack Sparrow FINISHED
dsc02848c.jpg

dsc02849hf.jpg

dsc02850w.jpg

dsc02851cg.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Custom Bases for Hot Toys Figures

List of interested for Jack Sparrow HD Base
Price: 50 EUR
Shipping: all over the world with EMS or Ordinary international Shipping. Price depends on where you want me to ship. To help you, I can make combined shipping if you live in the same state with an other buyer.
Set includes:
- one wooden base
- one wooden crate
- one wooden and metal barrel
- one big treasure map
- one little treasure map
- one little money bag
- one big dirty bag
- 5 copper coins

List of interests:

Last edited:

My first curom base is dedicated to Captain jack Sparrow, one of my favourite figures.
Here is some pics of something I'll include in every set: two old different maps, and 5 copper coins hand-cutted.

20120927180345.jpg

20120927181108.jpg

20120927185504.jpg

wow,great dioramaa i love ur work :clap:clap:clap

nice to meet you :)

Thanks man, the two pictures of the first post are from my dioramas collection.. just posted there to let you see my way of working. Last three pictures with maps are from the WIP of my first base. This evening I'll post some new shots! I'all also make a list of interest, so if you are interested I'll sign your name!

Are you planning any other specific bases after Jack's or just open to suggestions at the moment?

Sure, if this product will be successful I will product other specific bases, I plan to make bases for Sweeney Todd, the future Cat Woman and others... suggestions are welcome!
Sparrow is one of the most beautiful and famous Hot Toys figure, I hope my base will be successful!

And here you have tony!
Some pictures of the barrel and some shots of the objects you will receive with my base: maps, money, a little bag! it misses some objects I'll produce tomorrow.
Cheers!

20120929082900.jpg

20120929082839.jpg

20120928151919.jpg

20120928151901.jpg

I would love to see a proper Freddy Furnace environment. Great work.

There are so many dioramas I would love to see and a very little time to realize them all! Aniway your idea is really good for a diorama in detolf dimension!

Thanks Georgie, just learned the meaning of kudos!!! I've always loved creating my own objects, and when I discovered Hot Toys the idea of dioramas was just like a firework!
To be honest with you, I think that my work are good, not the top of the top but a good compromise between materials, dimensions and the money I ask. You can clearly see that no one is interested: on sideshow freaks I've sold just one diorama (Bruce Lee). Luckily here in italy I have a bigger success: my works is included in two of the largest store of the country and this is a great pride for me. After seeing that there are tons of GREAT artist that sells here TONS of products in just a heartbeat, I'm really curious to know if it's my work that is not good enough, or my prices that are too high (my diorama of bruce lee took 35 hours of work and considering the materials I ask about 7 dollars per hour) or people is simply not interested in dioramas as much as they are in other products. it would be great to understand this, because, believe me, I'm not as interested in money as I am in seeing my objects in your collections. It's true that I can keep my collection on only with the money I gain from my wooden works, but it's not a shame, it's a reason to realize better things and to do the best for every diorama I make.
For some days I tought that the idea of creating smaller diorama-bases with the best materials and my best attention to details was great, but I'm afraid that it would be only "an hole in the water", as we say in Italy. Aniway, this not scares me, I'm proud of the single copy I've sold here. it's always better than nothing!
I apologize for the monologue,
REV

A few years back I met a customizer at a toy show who made awesome dioramas suitable for WWII figures. They consisted of a corner of a building and some sidewalk suitable for a single figure, to a two-story building side suitable for multiple figures.

The dioramas were very well detailed and very reasonably priced. As a matter of fact, compared to the work put in to it, I felt he was giving them away.

He had plenty of people stopping by his booth admiring and praising his work, but he sold very few. He said he had trouble selling them and asked me if I thought his prices were too high. We came to the conclusion that very few people have the space for large dioramas. Most collectors rather fill a shelf with multiple figures than with a large base and maybe two figures.

I bought a few to try and sell on my site. It took me over a year to sell them. One of the problems I had was, even though the price of the dioramas was reasonable, due to the size, shipping was expensive, especially overseas.

I'm not sure how you offer your dioramas, but if they can be shipped in pieces and put togther buy the customer, that can cut down on shipping costs.

I think you're dioramas are great. I think you just have to keep showing them in different places until you find the right customers.

Best of luck.
Eric

Your work is awesome!

I think you would do well with a Batcave diorama that was designed to fit in a detolf.

First of all, I want to thank you all for your opinion and for the suggestions for next dioramas.
I perfectly agree with MisterToyNyc, it's an hard market, due to dimensions and prices. But I don't pretend to sell a diorama every day, it would loose its precision and prestige.
This is basically why I decided to spend some time realizing this smaller bases, that will be about 16x16 cm, as the base of a Dx Character. I hope that, obce it will be finished, the work will be appreciated and will have a bigger diffusion on the planet!
As you say, my dioramas are planned to be completely mounted and unmounted in no more than 5 minutes. For my bases there will not be any problem shipping. I know that shipping is expensive, but I can ship more than one if interested people live in the same state!
Maybe tomorrow I'll finish te prototype, let's see how it goes!

This is awesome!Keep up the good work!Looking forward to seeing more!

Back