Current state of Comics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The current state of comics-ecclectic as usual. Nothings 100% perfect across the board at any company. A hodge-podge of good books at both.

The New Avengers has been amazing but painful since the arcs are so long to get pay-off. Just the same, I'm missing my classic avengers. Glad marvel claims to have something up their sleeves for that. She-Hulk and Thing are very fun books.

I'm also a long-time DC fan. LOVING the Green Lantern re-vamp. Following Infinite Crisis- but my verdicts not in yet (and it really should have been by now). Despising the planned one year later jumps. Not only do most seemed uninspired, I am getting very burned out on them (gimmick wise), not just from DC, but comics doing it over the years in general. It's just giving me an excuse to cut ties with DC across the board except for my few favorites, when normally I read a lot.

I agree that there are very little redeeming qualities for All Star Batman. Frank Miller is STILL riding high on his Dark Knight Returns, Sin City and Daredevil runs. For some reason, he is still considered a good writer. I just don't understand what the big deal with him is.

Infinite Crisis has been an entertaining read so far. I'm interested on where it's all going. Marvel...well, I just don't see a clear picture of where everything is headed. IC seems like a more cohesive crossover as Marvel's House of M and whatever it is they are cooking next with all the spin offs are lacking some serious story structure.

All Star Supes has been alright. Nothing spectacular but alright. Other DC books I am checking out include: Batman, Nightwing, Planetary, Authority, Tom Strong, Green Lantern, Ex Machina, Infinite Crisis, Y the Last Man trades, Fables trades, 100 bullet trades. I'll be giving Blue Beetle and Ion a try.

On the Marvel side is mainly Astonishing X-men, Friendly Neighborhood Spidey, X-Factor, Powers, Supreme Power, Punisher and MK 4. I'll be giving Wolverine Origins a shot.

As people get older they look at comics differently..........especially those people who seem to frquent the internet. As a kid, I bought the X-Men, anything with Wolverine, Thor, some Avengers........mainly West Coast, Hulk and Spider-Man.........Batman when Robin died and Superman when he died.

But I always bought them because of the charcters and the art. Now it seems that everyone has to read tbecause of this writer or that artist. We are older and we expect more for our dollar. I still subscribe to all the X-Men core title and to Wolverine as well as Ultimate X-Men.........my pull list at the comic shop has all the mini series of the X-Men and Wolverine. I still read for the characters. Sure there are some writers out there that are better than others, but that is life.

I agree that it's become a "follow the writer or artist" industry. At $3-4 a pop for a comic book you have to be more meticulous about your purchases.

Trades and hardcovers are the future of comics it seems. Reading a comic month to month has become less appealing to me now that I am older. Especially since most stories are padded to last longer than they should. Everything is an "event" now. It rarely is just about the characters in their own book just being part of a good story for them.

Just finished the Ultimate Invincible collection and have to say I loved it. I'm not a big fan of minimalist art, but it really works here and the writing is great.

I think the parodying and/or re-imagining of superhero cliches is the only thing that really resonates for me in new comics. I guess that's why I like Smallville so much.

Originally by SolidLiquidFox
I agree that it's become a "follow the writer or artist" industry. At $3-4 a pop for a comic book you have to be more meticulous about your purchases.

Trades and hardcovers are the future of comics it seems. Reading a comic month to month has become less appealing to me now that I am older. Especially since most stories are padded to last longer than they should. Everything is an "event" now. It rarely is just about the characters in their own book just being part of a good story for them.

What is sad is that they feel they have to pad these stories. I agree that they probably needed to raise the price. The thing is I do not see a lot of kids reading comics. You cannot find comics in the grocery stores anymore and all of the people I see in the comic shops are my age or older. I read on the internet how all of these people praised the "Enemy of the State" run on Wolverine........I hated it.........how many times is he gonna be brainwashed........art stunk......looked like a cartoon. There have been some great stoies in his book. But I feel that the last time stories really added to his character was when he lost the metal back in X-Men 25 and Wolverine 75. Everbody was upset he lost the metal........but those stories from #76 up to #100 were overall really good I thought...........plus the art kicked major a$$. There have been some great since......but at times the book gets stale. But then a story comes along and is good. Sorry for the rant.

Hey, I feel you. Comics are not for kids anymore. They are not accesible to them no matter what kiddy imprints they come up with to try and make it so. It's a sad situation, but like you said, all you see at the comic store is guys like us in their 20's or 30's.

Since you are into Wolverine, I am sure you heard about the new artist Humberto Ramos. I love his stuff but I don't think his style is good for Wolverine.

wolverine42.jpg

BDboystoys said:
Anything Loeb/Sale has me fullstop. They are brilliant.

Yeah, the stuff they did with Batman was full on... as was the Catwoman: When in Rome storyline.. good stuff from those guys. The Noir feeling of Tim Sale's art is just well suited to the characters and the world they inhabit.

I'm also a big fan of Robert Kirkman, his work on The Walking Dead and Marvel Zombies has me hooked... I am always excited for the next issue and he always keeps me guessing.

PVP is another I always buy without question, funny stories for dorks like me...:banana

DarkArtist81 said:
Yeah, the stuff they did with Batman was full on... as was the Catwoman: When in Rome storyline..

I just finished reading that this week. Great Catwoman story. Lots of convenient Hush forshadowing by Loeb as well. :naughty

I have all their hardcovers except fr Hulk: Gray. I gotta pick that up.

I have to agree on Kirkman. Great writer in my opinion. Absolutely love The Walking Dead and Marvel Zombies. I am also enjoying the new Jonah Hex Stories. I like that they are one issue stories. Also enjoy Eric Powell's The Goon. Very campy and enjoyable.
When I was younger I loved Spidey, X-men, Thor, Avengers, and the Hulk. Today some of these titles are just awful. Astonishing X-men is good but the rest are just bad. What has happened to Spidey. I hope that Peter David can do some good with him. Either make the Hulk smart or a mindless outcast. Just quit switching back and forth. I have always been a Marvel fan but DC is now getting my attention.

Anybody check out the new Hulk, with the kick-off for Planet Hulk? This really seems to be evolving into a great story.

rogueboy...............It does look like a good story..........and seeing that the Illuminati screwed him over.................when he gets back to Earth, there is going to be hell to pay. It sounds like his homecoming will at least be another year from now.

Indeed, the schedule is that the story takes as least a year....so it should be a year of fun :D .

I used to think it was fun and neat with these events that will have lasting repercussions through out the universe.............strictly talking Marvel. Not a big DC fan.............but I read the reviews on some titles. But going from Avenders Disassembled to House of M and into Civil War............it seems like we are having too many of them without getting to work up any resolutions. House of M is the result of Disassembled, but come on..............there could have been a bigger lull so that we could really see the reactions. Now it looks as though there will be a 7 issue mini series with Civil War and a 10 issue mini as well. I do not know.............just venting I guess.

Back