Current discount codes at SSC

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eBay fees are only actually 10% and paypal is 2.9% in the US. But annoyingly both are incurred on shipping price as well. I never do "best offer" but instead just lower my prices incrementally $5/$10 at a time if the item isn't getting any interest.

How do collectibles usually sell on these forums? Looking to get premium membership to clear space since eBay buyers seem to only make low ball offers when goal is to break even at the very least, profit of course but if there is loss at least minimal without all the crazy 20% eBay fees or whatever it is on top of Paypal's 5%. :huh

My experience with selling on here is kind of hit and miss. I've done some easy and quick deals and I've had some not so much. I always try to research and list at what I believe is a fair, current market price, but I always get people trying to lowball. I get it, everyone wants the best deal, but it gets annoying, especially when you end up haggling over $5

Also, something I run into a lot is people saying they will take something, then after you send the payment info, you never hear from them again. Oh, and watch out for people asking you to hold something for them until payday or whenever. Don't fall into this trap. Nine times out of ten, you'll never hear from them again and you may miss out on an opportunity to sell to someone serious about buying.

The last piece of advice I would give is do your research on shipping costs. It gets expensive, especially if shipping internationally. I can't tell you how many times I misjudged and ended up losing money on shipping.

How do collectibles usually sell on these forums? Looking to get premium membership to clear space since eBay buyers seem to only make low ball offers when goal is to break even at the very least, profit of course but if there is loss at least minimal without all the crazy 20% eBay fees or whatever it is on top of Paypal's 5%. :huh
I'd recommend using the BST Facebook groups, I've sold a ton of stuff through those. 100% free to do it too.

Do you have a link to the fb group that you could DM to me? I finally reactived my account after a 5-year sabbatical.
Search for these 3 on there. They are the main ones I use.
336a598f457489397f7c7ab257092555.jpg

Well, just got an e-mail from SSC saying my bonus reward points are about to expire, even though I bought something with more than $15 in points after they gave them to me. I had $3.25 in points after that purchase but since then some converted and I have $15.25. No idea what's going to happen but I have a feeling they're going to take my current $15 in points away by mistake.

Well, just got an e-mail from SSC saying my bonus reward points are about to expire, even though I bought something with more than $15 in points after they gave them to me. I had $3.25 in points after that purchase but since then some converted and I have $15.25. No idea what's going to happen but I have a feeling they're going to take my current $15 in points away by mistake.

Could it be an automated message set to be sent a number of days those $15 were supposed to expire?

which points are they talking about here?

"Remember way back when (two weeks ago) when we showered you with FREE Sideshow Rewards? Then we politely said there was a 'catch'. Well the 'catch' is coming due because those extra points are about to expire.
Use your bonus Sideshow Rewards points before they expire!
Sideshow Rewards are eligible to be used on nearly everything on our website, so act fast, use those Rewards and bring home a great collectible!"

which points are they talking about here?

"Remember way back when (two weeks ago) when we showered you with FREE Sideshow Rewards? Then we politely said there was a 'catch'. Well the 'catch' is coming due because those extra points are about to expire.
Use your bonus Sideshow Rewards points before they expire!
Sideshow Rewards are eligible to be used on nearly everything on our website, so act fast, use those Rewards and bring home a great collectible!"

Many people received $10-$15 usd in reward points a couple of weeks ago. we received an email saying those points were a gift but were only good until 4/28

Dunno if you guys, U.S, are getting it but here in the U.K eBay have had a few 'Sell for £1' offers.
Great for shifting expensive pieces.

It's free listing for 50 items per month US/Canada but the usual 10% final value on combined sale/shipping.

IMO, post for sale on eBay and Facebook groups (much more exposure than listing stuff here).

eBay fees are only actually 10% and paypal is 2.9% in the US.

PayPal have been raising their rates for everyone else around the world. I used to get 2.9% here in Canada when dealing with US dollars. Now it's 4% even when selling to someone in the US. 2.9% only applies to Canadian sales now. Plus of course the the flat (and non-refundable) 30 cents transaction charge.

Damn, for a long time I actually had 2.5% and for a little while 1.9% due to volume. :(

Yeah, I've got some marvel steelbooks I wanna unload, but with the charges, I'm just gonna hold on to them. Was really big into ebay for a while, but the fees are starting to bug me. Plus when selling for other people, it's kind of pathetic to ask for pennies a month later. So, taking a loss every time I turn around

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Always incorporate eBay fees and other incidentals in your price. That applies whether you're selling something new, old, your own or for a friend. Yeah, it suck to have to pay someone else to sell your stuff, but that's what every business in the world has always done. You won't get the thousands or millions of eyeballs without eBay.

The big problem is a conceptual one where people think that eBay is a place to do a personal cash-sale. It's not. Maybe when it was first around it was "sort of kind of" like that because the fees were lower and buyers were paying for money orders, but the potential for sales went up many orders of magnitude once they streamlined the entire process and more people joined.

Bottom line: treat it like a business. Want to do a personal sale online, do it on Facebook in a group that allows it or Craigslist if you don't mind the risk of getting murdered. What's the latest stat anyway, 1 in 4 Craigslist meet-ups results in a serious crime?

I don't see any substantive difference in selling on eBay now vs. 20 years ago. It's not any easier to sell your product. They just take a lot more fees and subject you to a lot more Orwellian rules of what you're "allowed" to say and not say to each other. They also stopped sellers from being able to post negative feedback on crappy buyers, stopped allowing you to see what other people are bidding on, stopped letting you pay any other way than through their "sister" site PayPal, and constantly harass you to dump more money down the toilet by offering "free shipping."

Aside from what's their fault, those shipping costs have gone up astro-ginormously across the board, despite people apparently doing more shipping than ever. Somehow the economies of scale associated with all businesses have failed to apply to shipping and costs have only gone up the more people that use the service.

Back