Current discount codes at SSC

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flex pay is an awesome option offered by SS. I use it for everything.

I guess its not for everyone, but that doesn't mean its still not an awesome option.
Yeah, I'm not saying everyone has to use it or should use it. If you can pay for stuff all in one sum easily then by all means go for it. I just thought it was sort of silly that he's trying to argue that it's somehow negative or worse than a regular pre-order.

Spookyfest works on the Tony Stark Iron Man 3 fig...I just used it. And big thanks for posting it.

Flex pay is an awesome option offered by SS. I use it for everything.
I guess its not for everyone, but that doesn't mean its still not an awesome option.

You didn't understand or didn't read what I wrote. I wasn't talking about Flex Pay in general, only Flex Pay for an unreleased pre-order. There's no way around the fact that pre-paying on a fixed schedule for something with a variable release date in the future is a good idea when that item can be reserved without putting down a penny. Unless of course someone doesn't have basic financial sense/knowledge/discipline. ;)

SAVE THE MONEY YOURSELF in a bank account for that purpose. Or in a jar, or in a short term bond, or whatever. Just don't give it ahead of time to Sideshow.

Wait, does SS not charge you (Other than the NRD) for the pre-order until it is in stock?

Right. You only get charged once the item is ready to ship. Unless you use Flex Pay, then you start paying X months before the estimated availability date, X being dependent on the number of payments and the date you pick. For instance, Darth Vader 1/6 isn't scheduled to be available until sometime in January 2014. If you Flex with 3 payments and pick the 5th of the month, you'll pay $25 NRD today and then start paying 1/3 the remaining purchase price ($75+) on November 5th. If the figure slips in release date, they may push your last payment out to the next week/month or they may not, but you've definitely already put down that extra $150.

Now the real benefit of Flex is to reserve or lock/hold a product that is already available to make sure it doesn't sell out before you've gotten the cash together.

On a pre-order you can lock your copy without putting down any cash at all, except an deposit of $25 if applicable for that item. Now you can simple save on your own instead of loaning it to Sideshow for a few months with zero interest.

I just thought it was sort of silly that he's trying to argue that it's somehow negative or worse than a regular pre-order.

:slap A January figure can be pushed to April or June, meanwhile Sideshow has been hanging onto your money the entire time with zero benefit to you. You could have been setting aside precisely the same amount every month in safety and possibly earning something on it in the meantime. And by the time the item is released, you'll have saved a lot more than its purchase price too. Again, don't confuse this with Flex for an already available, but limited supply item. Completely different situation.

You didn't understand or didn't read what I wrote. I wasn't talking about Flex Pay in general, only Flex Pay for an unreleased pre-order. There's no way around the fact that pre-paying on a fixed schedule for something with a variable release date in the future is a good idea when that item can be reserved without putting down a penny. Unless of course someone doesn't have basic financial sense/knowledge/discipline.

I understood your post. I just don't agree with it.

I have the ability and means to pay for any and all of these whenever I want. But I choose to use flex pay because its similar to borrowing money interest free.

Its my opinion that flex pay is great.

Its your OPINION that flex pay mostly sucks. Accept it as opinion and not fact and we'll all be fine.

Neither way is right or wrong. Just differing opinions.

Please tell me you aren't the person responsible for finances in your home. ;)

I guess you didn't know that Sideshow doesn't charge anything for pre-orders? In other words you still have a lock on the figure without paying a cent. Because that's what we're talking about. Not about spreading payments out instead of paying in a lump sum.

This isn't simply my opinion - it's money basics. You don't give away money for nothing. Rule number 1 if you will. You can of course do whatever you want with your money, no one is going to argue that. But your choice and the reasons behind them, don't make the practice sound.

I'd swear that someone had just written that Flex Pay is like "lay away" but now I don't see that on the page - anyway, it is when the item is available. It's not when the item is only going to be available at some point in the future (which can change - and likely will) and you have the option of not putting down any money at all.

Anyway, I've seen/heard of much worse, so it's no big deal in the end. I just thought I'd mention the fact it's an unnecessary raw deal for those that might be surprised in the end. It's not like SS gives you an option to start the Flex when the item is actually available - for that you have to wait until that time to lock your order. For most things that's still safe to do, because it's rare or even unheard of that SS will sell out one of their own pre-orders, unlike with some Hot Toys or other brands.

Last edited:
Please tell me you aren't the person responsible for finances in your home. ;)

This isn't simply my opinion - it's money basics. You don't give away money for nothing. Rule number 1 if you will.

I guess you didn't know that Sideshow doesn't charge anything for pre-orders? In other words you still have a lock on the figure without paying a cent. Because that's what we're talking about. Not about spreading payments out instead of paying in a lump sum.

First, can we have a civilized discussion without you throwing unnecessary and inaccurate insults around?

For the record, my background is in finance. I know how pre orders through ss work. I have bought over 50 HT from them. Think what you want. Opinions aren't always fact.

Last edited:
Actually pixel piper is right. Why give your money away when it can accrue interest and accomplish the exact same thing while doing so.
Except for the fact that why would I put money into an account that I intend to use for a future purchase? Most basic accounts aren't going to yield a lot of interest anyways and the higher yielding ones are generally more set up as long term accounts.

Bottom line is, if you like flex-pay, use it. If you don't like flex-pay, don't use it. There, discussion over.:peace

Right. You only get charged once the item is ready to ship. Unless you use Flex Pay, then you start paying X months before the estimated availability date, X being dependent on the number of payments and the date you pick. For instance, Darth Vader 1/6 isn't scheduled to be available until sometime in January 2014. If you Flex with 3 payments and pick the 5th of the month, you'll pay $25 NRD today and then start paying 1/3 the remaining purchase price ($75+) on November 5th. If the figure slips in release date, they may push your last payment out to the next week/month or they may not, but you've definitely already put down that extra $150.

Wow, I thought SS charged you the full amount up front. I won't be using Flex again. Thanks for the heads up! I have a few items on flex now. I wonder if SS will let me change the plan back to one payment.

Money is much better in my/your account rather than Sideshows. No question.

Last edited:
Actually pixel piper is right. Why give your money away when it can accrue interest and accomplish the exact same thing while doing so.

Because flex pay takes away me having to remember to do it. I like that it just happens, and it also ensures I will spend the money I've decided to spend on a figure on that figure. It's about piece of mind. I save money on my own for other things. I've always got a few accounts rolling, money stashed in different places for different reasons, sometimes I do that for toys too, but usually it's setting aside money for taxes, or a vacation, or a big purchase I want to make.

When talking about a $75 bucks or so a month flex payment for a toy, the interest on that money, if we are talking a more secure investment like a money market account or your typical savings account, is pretty negligible. The ease of flex pay and taking any thought process out of it is worth the few bucks I'd make on such small amounts of money. You guys are arguing over pennies.

I don't understand the part about interest. I thought the separate payments all add up to the total as if you were to pay it whole? I was not aware that they charge interest.

Hopefully you see this before the current coupon code expires...just wanted to let you know that you should be able to use the code on the Baroness Sixth Scale Figure!

-SideshowAlex

Yeah Spookyfest discount code doesn't work on Destro though. :slap I cancelled my PO to re-order and use the code and tried to use it but it wouldn't let me. Guess I will wait to order him when he gets a discount code that works. I don't know why Sideshow tries to get people excited about discounts when they never work unless it's on super old stock :(

I don't understand the part about interest. I thought the separate payments all add up to the total as if you were to pay it whole? I was not aware that they charge interest.
They don't charge interest. Some of the posters in here are arguing that you're better off keeping your money in a bank account or something of that nature to earn more interest off of your money rather than paying it to Sideshow. Kind of a silly argument unless you have a really high yielding bank account of some type (I don't know why you'd use that account as the primary account you use to make purchases with anyways so it's kind of irrelevant if you ask me).

Anyways, I really wish that there'd be a code that worked with Jor-El. I still want to order him but would like it more if it was about $20 less.

They don't charge interest. Some of the posters in here are arguing that you're better off keeping your money in a bank account or something of that nature to earn more interest off of your money rather than paying it to Sideshow. Kind of a silly argument unless you have a really high yielding bank account of some type (I don't know why you'd use that account as the primary account you use to make purchases with anyways so it's kind of irrelevant if you ask me).

Anyways, I really wish that there'd be a code that worked with Jor-El. I still want to order him but would like it more if it was about $20 less.

Thanks for explaining, mate. The new code doesn't work with him yet? I think he was revealed after Kal-El and 2 coupons prior worked on him and I think the one before that, so Jor-El should be able to accommodate a coupon really soon. His pre-order was before the sideshow exclusives.

Because flex pay takes away me having to remember to do it.

We're in the 21st century. :) All banks have the ability to set up your own pre-authorized payments/transfers between accounts on whatever schedule you wish. You don't have to "remember" anything.

Anyway, this would be moot if Sideshow would simply allow pre-order items to have the same benefits as in-stock items when using Flex - the first payment is scheduled after the item has actually been released. I'm sure a lot of people would jump on this.

But as said, there no way in hell that any Sideshow-branded 1/6 figure is going to sell out in today's market before it's in stock, so there're not much need to pre-order anyway.

Back