Current discount codes at SSC

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Current discount codes at SSC: Waiting for the September code

The way I see it if you live in the US you really cannot escape SS as they supply everyone. Stop buying from them in protest and they start raising the prices for other US distributors. It's a shame they decided to go to war with so many loyal customers but as I said in another thread.. greed get's the best of everyone eventually.

I took my business over seas.

Shame I won't be helping the site by clicking on the links to SS on here anymore. I feel bad about that..but you have to have principles.

How are they going to war? I missed that. Not defending them just thinking we got a little (maybe a lot) spoiled with $20 codes that were not meant for everyone just a random thank you to a few costumers for buying from them.

Lol, nothing says entitlement like seeing grown men throwing tantrums toys :wave

Oh and the new promo code stickers came in late last week, so they should start showing up on outgoing shipments very soon (probably even this week) - since people are asking/wondering. Codes will be unique in nature again and more than likely this is the route they will continue to go for now. The unique codes ended up being way more popular use wise then the single codes.

Not being funny but how can a one use code sent out with purchases be more popular than a code anyone can take advantage of?
Not that I ever use either :)

In all honesty, although every penny helps, but with the new/higher/rising costs of these products and the same 'ol discount, does the $20 -$25 really even make a difference worth complaining over?

10% yes that helps because its always relative to the cost of the product.

If SS had raised the disc amount with the rising product cost then its worth arguing over. Instead they cut back on discounts while raising costs. I think this may be my last year of POing sadly.

Have you seen the price rises on, what looks like, every new release?
Don't you worry about their profit margin.

This.

After all, this is a collectibles company that makes you destroy the entire product if something is wrong with it. Even a minor issue, "get out the hammer, put the collectible into a pillowcase and hammer away and then we will help you." Who else does that? Those figures could easily be sent back and sold for parts or for a damaged discount. Hell, if they don't want the hassle i'm sure they could find someone to set up a deal with to buy the damaged stock. (EX. Toy Anxiety).

How are they going to war? I missed that. Not defending them just thinking we got a little (maybe a lot) spoiled with $20 codes that were not meant for everyone just a random thank you to a few costumers for buying from them.

Well besides the code thing they also price gouge badly on shipping. There is also solid evidence that ssc is now taking it upon themselves to raise the hong kong retail prices. Which I wouldn't have a problem with if they didn't have what amounts to a monopoly on distribution. But they do, so your only real choice to get around them is to buy direct from Hong Kong.

How are they going to war? I missed that.Not defending them just thinking we got a little (maybe a lot) spoiled with $20 codes that were not meant for everyone just a random thank you to a few costumers for buying from them.

I was able to obtain a figure overseas for $30 cheaper and it is coming triple boxed for $14. Kylo Ren cost me $17 dollars shipped in the shipper from Cali. SS use to have free shipping. The coupon codes helped loyal customers with the cost of inflated shipping. (on top of inflated figure prices)

The 'war' is over greed like all wars usually are. They have a lot of people by the nuts and are pushing to see how far we will open our wallets to obtain our fix.

^^How do you know they're not purposely trying to drive business to their distributors rather than it being greed toward their direct customers as you put it? There are plenty of places in the US you can order these figures from that are bother cheaper (sticker price) and with cheaper shipping than Sideshow (Alter Ego is one). Some, like Timewalker Toys, have free shipping over certain $ amounts too.

^^How do you know they're not purposely trying to drive business to their distributors rather than it being greed toward their direct customers as you put it? There are plenty of places in the US you can order these figures from that are bother cheaper (sticker price) and with cheaper shipping than Sideshow (Alter Ego is one). Some, like Timewalker Toys, have free shipping over certain $ amounts too.

When there is evidence of that then we can discuss it. I'd love to do business with Alter Ego but unfortunately i live in Ohio and am subject to tax.:(

As far as buying from other distributors goes, yeah i'm just now starting to do that. It is a new thing for me and thus far it is working out nicely. If that is indeed what SS wants they are getting it from me at least.

Look, i'm not here to bash SS for the sake of it. I like many have given them thousands of dollars because i liked them. Just wanted to make that clear.

agreed! plus Alter Ego also has a flex pay option

Not being funny but how can a one use code sent out with purchases be more popular than a code anyone can take advantage of?
Not that I ever use either :)

Weird, right? But After comparing the year to two years of reporting on the single codes to the new unique ones it was shown that the uniques performed well and above the single use ones. I personally was surprised myself with that outcome.

Bummer they're changing up and limiting the codes now. I rarely get an attached coupon to my order and when I have they're only for less popular in stock stuff clogging up warehouse space. I haven't preordered anything since June though there's lots I would like to. More and more product at higher and higher prices with less and less discounts. :(

I just don't buy 1/6 as much. It's been 11 months since my last purchase and that was off of eBay. They just cost too much lately for me to constantly throw $250-300 for a figure that basically sits on my shelf. I collect comic books more as they store easily, can be read and displayed, and have more investment potential. The 1/6 fig market is saturated and I lose money on every sale I make on the figures I sell.

I received my Ivy print today and there it was, the new "You Rock" $20 unique code sticker pasted to the side. It seems to be good for almost every item available including pre orders but like the old codes, it's only good for 30 days.
That's great if I was in the market for an item this month. That is why I liked the old codes. I may not be ready to order this month but I may next month and knew there was a new code coming.
If this is the new format then maybe Sideshow can consider this if they are trying to reward buyers,
Make it a unique one time code but allow us to put it in our account with no expiration until it's used? If it's unique to the buyer then don't take it away just because they may not be able to place an order in the next 30 days. Also allowing buyers to keep their codes gives them a reason to come back and purchase from Sideshow knowing they have that discount to use instead of possibly shopping elsewhere?

Where is the Flex Pay option? I am unable to find it on their site.

They used to have it. Maybe they stopped doing it. I have thankfully never had to use FlexPay from either AEC or SSC as of yet but I do remember seeing the option for the bigger items like PFs and such. Maybe they got rid of it when they switched to their latest site. Not sure. Might be worth inquiring about. Could be something that's just part of the "check out process" now.

The USPS doesn't need Sideshow's help with that. I used to be able to insure posters sent overseas and paid maybe $16. Now, two years later it costs me on average $22 and that's uninsured. I can't charge that amount for shipping, so I have to raise the prices of the posters some and the shipping some, so that people don't complain about paying that much for shipping. Then there's the cost of tubes, and shipping materials - if I charged only in the shipping what it costs me, I'd be charging about $25 just to ship a poster from the USA to pretty much anywhere other than Canada.

I'm not saying that Sideshow isn't pulling something too, maybe they are - I don't personally know either way for a fact myself. I just know that I hate doing business with USPS - I question anyone that makes us pay "insurance" in order to "insure" they do their job right - yet that's reality now, like it or lump it.

I suspect (though I could be wrong, and if I am then I'd like to know what the deal is) that it costs less to ship from Hong Kong to the USA than vice versa, because they definitely seem to offer better prices on shipping than what I can get to ship there using any shipping company I know of here in the USA.

PS - on the codes, something else to consider that (at least around here) the economy is NOT better, if anything it's as bad as it's been for the last decade - so I know I for one shop around and look for the best deals I can on everything from groceries to collectibles (and I'm not buying as many collectibles, in fact very few now). I wonder if people just aren't using coupons as part of being more careful these days since money is coming harder and harder to many of us - that could skew SSC's research - any poll or study can only go so far, and there are usually more factors at play.

The rising usps shipping prices for the average joe are real, but don't really apply to high volume shippers like sideshow. Sideshow gets bulk shipments of figures off enormous cargo ships from Hong Kong that come to them pre-boxed. They simply print a shipping label and use UPS to ship individual orders to customers. They no doubt have a very sweet high volume discount rate from UPS. I work for a company that ships a lot of stuff but probably not nearly as much as ssc and we pay five or six bucks to ship packages much larger and heavier all over the place within the US.

Back