Credit Card policy on International shipments question

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lordelesar

Super Freak
Reaction score
I recently put an order to the SS site for a product. It is not my first direct order but is the first that actually is ready to be shipped.

I got an email from SS asking me to fill out a form with my personal details and some credit card stuff so they can confirm it belongs to me and go on from there.
All is good and understandable to this point.

The thing is along with the form the email demands to send a copy of both sides of the credit card and both sides of my photo ID.
Is this normal?

I ask because that information is pretty much anything someone would hope for to use a credit card over the net. Even the CVV2 number (for a VISA) would be showing...

Don't get me wrong, I find it great that the company wants some verification of the cardholder's consent and of course I am in no way concerned or implying that someone from SSC would steal or use my card, but still.

I have purchased countless things over the internet, both from official websites and sites like ebay, from literally all over the world and such thing has never been asked from me in the past...

ps: for the record, I have replied to the email sender from SS regarding my concerns and have yet to receive any answer :)

I've been buying from SS for about 6 years now so it could be a new policy. Seems fishy to me though.

I wouldn't reply directly to the email, but send the email though their help desk. I have never been asked for this information. Make sure it's not a someone trying to obtain your personal info.

Edit: Thinking about it. When I have received a declined credit card email from SS. Their emails clearly state "Do not send credit card numbers in email".

Last edited:
I'd rather dictate it over the phone when talking to a Sideshow representative, rather than email a scanned copy to them.

Emails can get intercepted, hence your information can be stolen. Sending of personal information via email is strongly discouraged, especially in bank/financial transactions.

Be vigilant and call Sideshow instead. I've done over-the-phone transactions with other companies, and they are fine with that, and understand the risk involved.

So it is not just me that finds this a bit off.
To be honest the email seems pretty legit, it is from an SS account and bears an name of a CS representative. Also it would be weird and alarming if someone outside the company knew that it was my first order to be shipped, what the product is and where exactly it needs to be sent.

Anyway, I will call the customer support on Monday and try and close this thing over the phone.

But I am a bit curious, has anyone else received this email or it's just me?

The thing is along with the form the email demands to send a copy of both sides of the credit card and both sides of my photo ID.
That's a really strange request - I wouldn't send that kind of info over the net to ANYONE.

Call sideshow CS, even a legit company shouldn't require that kind of verification for any kind of transaction.

This isn't the first time I've read about this. So yes, I'm pretty sure it is a legit SS request.

That aside, I would also be very worried about having that sort of info, floating around on unencrypted and unsecured internet servers and backup tapes for the next 6+ months.

This isn't the first time I've read about this. So yes, I'm pretty sure it is a legit SS request.
QUOTE]

If I ever get an email that my card has been declined at the bottom they always have this disclaimer
"DO NOT EVER, EVER E-MAIL FULL CREDIT CARD NUMBERS TO US!"
Strange to have that in an email, then expect another customer to email a copy of their card.

Would be great if a SS VIP could clear this up.

^^^

If worse comes to worst, I would agree to email a scanned copy of my credit card front, BUT NEVER THE BACK, WHICH HAS THE CVV2 CODE! Credit cards are useless without those 3-digits in the signature area, so never-ever mention that to anyone, especially online, unless you are doing a real transaction with a legit company.

well first order placed I just received this in my junk folder too.
I have to say if this is a fake email its one of the best I have seen.

There is a PDF attachment has a bunch of details to fill in with the following requirements.

ID Requirements
1) Copy of front and back of physical card. You can block out all but the last four digits. * This verifies you have the card.
2) Copy of top of your billing statement. Block out all but last four digits of card account #. * This verifies billing address / card owner’s name.
3) Copy of photo ID. You can block out ID numbers but it must show your picture and billing address. * This verfies your name / photo.

Not sure if im going to go through with this. I will contact customer support.

Last edited:
So even for Australian customers too, I never had such a requirement when I added my card to the account.

just got a reply. this is the real deal its not fake. forget it im not buying from sudeshow. Can anyone recommend other us stores that ship to aus and have good feedback?

Here we go:

New customers from the following countries will need to complete a credit card verification/id for all orders over $300 prior to shipping: Japan, Singapore, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, & Puerto Rico.

My first order was well over that. :(

just got a reply. this is the real deal its not fake. forget it im not buying from sudeshow. Can anyone recommend other us stores that ship to aus and have good feedback?

You could try a local 'shop', https://www.casefresh.com.au/ assuming you don't want it right away and don't want the exclusive.

Here we go:

New customers from the following countries will need to complete a credit card verification/id for all orders over $300 prior to shipping: Japan, Singapore, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, & Puerto Rico.

That's a strange mix, especially with Puerto Rico, why pick on us.
And I think that may explain it, I've ordered near $300, but it was still just a little under (not counting postage).

Here we go:

The thing is that I am from neither of these countries and my order was for 51$.
It just bugs me that a company of this magnitude can ask for things that even a basic internet-training-for-dummies course will tell you to never never never do.

You simply cannot ask for such documents to be transmitted over the net and more so via email.

Anyway, I will call tonight and if I am not cleared for this I will cancel this order and all my preorders.

I just got of the phone with SSC customer support.
First of all I have to say one very big THUMBS UP. They picked up immediately and the girl that did was extremely helpful, polite and friendly. Great great great work :)

The email is in fact legit and is the standard policy for first time international customers.
However before I send the documents, she told me to black out any details I don't want showing. In fact they only need the final four digits of the card (not the CVV2 number) the name and the signature showing.

However before I send the documents, she told me to black out any details I don't want showing.

If I really did that, you'd mostly get something that looks like this:

blacksquare.jpg

Back