Cracking Detolfs

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Hindsight

Super Freak
Reaction score
I have 3 Detolfs and they continually make a cracking sound, it happens all the time, every day, drives me mad. It sounds like the sort of expanding noise something makes when it heats up/cools down.

I don't know if it's one of them or all 3 of them as they are all together.

Anybody else noticed this or are mine haunted?

I have 3 Detolfs and they continually make a cracking sound, it happens all the time, every day, drives me mad. It sounds like the sort of expanding noise something makes when it heats up/cools down.

I don't know if it's one of them or all 3 of them as they are all together.

Anybody else noticed this or are mine haunted?

i've had the same 'problem'...didn't wonna take any risks and sold them.

It's the expansion of the glass caused by temperature and pressure of the case. Try loosening the top bolts a bit with an Allen wrench to give it some more play.

I made a thread about this a year or two ago. As mentioned loosening the bolts might help but it is usually just temperature. I've got besta cabinets now but mine were doing it for years with no problems so I'd say it's harmless.

Definitely nuts too tight on the rods. I have 3 Detolfs in a room that can swing greatly in temperature throughout the day with no such sounds coming from any cabinet. I've had this style of cabinet from IKEA since the 90's, so I know not to tighten the compression rods too much.

Other noises, such as those from vibration, can also be lessened by making sure none of the shelves touch any of the sides or rods.

It sounds to me like your bolts might be too tight. When I was putting my first one together I had the bolts so right that the glass started to bend! Thankfully it didnt shatter! Loosen them a little and see what happens.

Back