Statue Cover Girls of the DC Universe

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the sketch Adam submitted to DC Direct for Batgirl Covergirls Statue:

batgirlstatue.jpg

DC Direct Google searched, and found a con sketch that Adam did for a fan that they preferred, and they sculpted that instead. You can see the sketch in its original form, in the owner's CAF Gallery:

https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=487437&GSub=40580

That's the story behind this statue. DC Direct chose a cute pose over Adam's original, more serious design.

While perhaps not the ideal choice, I definitely prefer this one over Malibu Barbie Batgirl.

I like the Batgirl look actually, it reminds me of what a fun character she was. She only become "serious" once she became Oracle or Babs, but as Batgirl she certainly had a more fun side to her. I think the sketch that was submittted by Adam is very nice but I prefer what DC choose.

It will be a welcome addition to the collection :)

I think I've heard that Dan DiDio is not a fan of Barbara Gordon, but it's hard to tell what's comic fan drama and what's not.

I don't think Dan has any real influence over at DC direct. I could be wrong.... Also Dan has been quoted many times of being a fan of both Batgirl and Oracle, I think his fan implied dislike has been directed more at Cassandra as Batgirl over the years.

Evan

Man, I would have so much preferred that sketch - a much better companion for the other pieces.

I guess that's what bothers me so much, that original sketch is much more cartoon than how the character would appear in the comics (outside of a parody).

I'm not saying that anyone that likes it is wrong, just that I'm really disappointed in this being a release in what had become my favorite line from DCD.

I don't think Dan has any real influence over at DC direct. I could be wrong.... Also Dan has been quoted many times of being a fan of both Batgirl and Oracle, I think his fan implied dislike has been directed more at Cassandra as Batgirl over the years.

Evan

That's the impression I got. IMO, Cassandra Cain just wasn't a likeable character.

I'm really enjoyng the current run of the new Batgirl series and I hope we get a Stephanie Brown/Batgirl cover girl statue.

Man, I would have so much preferred that sketch - a much better companion for the other pieces.

I guess that's what bothers me so much, that original sketch is much more cartoon than how the character would appear in the comics (outside of a parody).

I'm not saying that anyone that likes it is wrong, just that I'm really disappointed in this being a release in what had become my favorite line from DCD.

I'll echo that thought by saying that I think anyone who dislikes this statue isn't wrong. We all like what we like.

In this case...this rendition happens to be what I like. :D

Thank you for telling me what I have a right to say/think and what I don't. If the artist has anything to say on the matter, I will certainly defer obediently to his opinion and forget all the reasons I had for believing what I did before I was told what to think.

Very appreciative of the advice Havok. I will treasure it.

However, if the majority of collectors decide that the statue does not fit with the style of the rest of the line (no, not the people on this forum--the real majority of collectors) then they will either buy it grudgingly, or they just won't buy it, and it will, in fact, be a misstep.
Geez man, hostile much? I wasn't aware that anywhere in my post I told you what you should think or not think but if that's how you feel more power to you.

I was simply saying that I don't feel any of us collectors has the right to call a piece a misstep and I still stand by that. That's my opinion and how I feel, I didn't say it was anyone else's. I didn't mean to get you all worked up, my apologies sir.

batgirlstatue.jpg

DC Direct Google searched, and found a con sketch that Adam did for a fan that they preferred, and they sculpted that instead. You can see the sketch in its original form, in the owner's CAF Gallery:

That's the story behind this statue. DC Direct chose a cute pose over Adam's original, more serious design.
Thanks for the info Allison!

I like both sketches so I wouldn't have a problem with either one. I understand that some wanted the more serious pose that Adam submitted but I still think it's good to change up a few pieces in the line.

I thought Adam had the final say in what artwork gets used for the statue though? I guess DCD does but that's what I thought anyway. Were you and Adam upset with DCD's decision Allison? I'm just curious if you don't mind answering cause it sounds like you aren't quite happy from your post.

Also, is it alright if I post this info over at Statue Forum?

Last edited:
I'm not blaming this on Adam, I like the pose and sculpt. I just wish the face looked more like Adam's sketch but it doesn't. I would blame this on the sculptor. I do like the one he submitted to DC best though. I'm not sure why they could get all the other girls faces right but not hers.

In all honesty though the sketch that Jack Mathews, the sculptor, had to work with only shows her face from the side. So I think he had to take a little of his own liberty on this one.

In all honesty though the sketch that Jack Mathews, the sculptor, had to work with only shows her face from the side. So I think he had to take a little of his own liberty on this one.

I thought about that after I wrote it lol and you're right.

Were you and Adam upset with DCD's decision Allison? I'm just curious if you don't mind answering cause it sounds like you aren't quite happy from your post.

Also, is it alright if I post this info over at Statue Forum?[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]

I don't really have an opinion either way; I liked the con sketch when Adam did it, and I still like it. But I also like the design he submitted for the statue, that wasn't used for this assignment. I'm always going to be Adam's biggest fan; I like both pieces of art equally, if maybe for different reasons.

Please feel free to re-post where ever you'd like.

I don't really have an opinion either way; I liked the con sketch when Adam did it, and I still like it. But I also like the design he submitted for the statue, that wasn't used for this assignment. I'm always going to be Adam's biggest fan; I like both pieces of art equally, if maybe for different reasons.

Please feel free to re-post where ever you'd like.
Thanks Allison. :)

Well I just want to say that I love the statue and Adam will continue to have my support in this line. :duff

Thanks Allison. :)

Well I just want to say that I love the statue and Adam will continue to have my support in this line. :duff

Adam will always have my support as well, DC won't but Adam will. As the old saying goes, if something ain't broke (Adam's submitted sketch) don't fix it (con sketch). I do like both sketches to be honest, heck I love anything he draws.

batgirlstatue.jpg

I KNEW IT!!!! Arghhrrrr!! freaking DCD!

I would buy the statue of the submitted sketch of Batgirl in a heartbeat.But I'm not sure about the other one. It's a fun statue in itself but looks like it belongs in another line. I'm not a completist in this line (I have the first 5 though, have not ordered HarleyQuinn) so I think I will hunt down the bust instead.

Back