COULD DARTH MAUL HAVE BEEN IN THE REST OF THE PREQUELS?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
perhaps Maul is such a strong character due to his limited exposure... wasn't Boba Fett cooler in smaller doses before the PT?

"I also think the PT suffers from a lack of Qui Gon in his spirit form." definitely!

destiny shmestiny... as with all religions the Force was open to many inturpretations... and mis read prophecies... if Mace had killed Palpatine when he had the chance there would be no reason for the OT... it is a trilogy about choices (good and bad).

I read in an interview that lucas was worried that maul was gonna become as popular as vader and he didn't like that.(so he had him killed)But yeah if maul woulda died in ep3 the climax woulda been off the wall and IMO thats the way it should have been done.

Seth Gecko said:
I read in an interview that lucas was worried that maul was gonna become as popular as vader and he didn't like that.(so he had him killed)....

Now thats just crazy talk.

pixletwin said:
Its called character developement. :D

Yeah I guess, but there's not much charactor to develop. Angry Sith that kicks ass, though cool, is pretty one dimensional.:monkey3

Darth Rage said:
Yeah I guess, but there's not much charactor to develop. Angry Sith that kicks ass, though cool, is pretty one dimensional.:monkey3

You do understand the point of character developement, right? :monkey3

yeah, poor acting, lousy love scenes, afterall, PT is focused on Anakin, not the sith errand boy DM or Dooku, as cool as maul is, he wouldn't get that much screen time anyway to save PT.

As for character developement, maul is a pretty one diementional character, he might get more violent and vicious, but unless he start to develope love for padme (ew...), I dont really see maul doing anything besides killing.

minivader said:
yeah, poor acting, lousy love scenes, afterall, PT is focused on Anakin, not the sith errand boy DM or Dooku, as cool as maul is, he wouldn't get that much screen time anyway to save PT.

Lets all get one thing strait. The actors are fine. Its George Lucas who wouldn't let the actors act that was the real problem.

pixletwin said:
Lets all get one thing strait. The actors are fine. Its George Lucas who wouldn't let the actors act that was the real problem.
i agree 100% with you. ewan macgregor, samuel jackson, liam neeson are all awesome actors. the prequels had the talent, they just weren't used properly. they could've had al pacino, dustin hoffman, robert redford, and marlon brando in the prequels and they still would have sucked.

pixletwin said:
You do understand the point of character developement, right? :monkey3
Yup, thanks for asking. :rolleyes:

I think Maul was fine the way he was played in the film. He was this mysterious apprentice, that played the part of the ruthless killer, seeking revenge on the Jedi, and died as he lived. Simple effective part. I know that there is this fascination with him, sort of like the one with Boba Fett, but I just don't share it. If anything he's over-rated IMO.

It was an interesting idea to have it end up being him behind the mask of Grievous. It would have made for an interesting reveal when Obi Wan kills him, but personally I like the idea of young Obi Wan overcoming his apparant defeat and using surprise to beat an angry, overconfident, and possibly superior opponent. It gives more creedence to Obi Wan and his charactor development. :cool:

Darth Rage said:
Yup, thanks for asking. :rolleyes:

I think Maul was fine the way he was played in the film. He was this mysterious apprentice, that played the part of the ruthless killer, seeking revenge on the Jedi, and died as he lived. Simple effective part. I know that there is this fascination with him, sort of like the one with Boba Fett, but I just don't share it. If anything he's over-rated IMO.

It was an interesting idea to have it end up being him behind the mask of Grievous. It would have made for an interesting reveal when Obi Wan kills him, but personally I like the idea of young Obi Wan overcoming his apparant defeat and using surprise to beat an angry, overconfident, and possibly superior opponent. It gives more creedence to Obi Wan and his charactor development. :cool:

Meh. I agree with all of that too.

pixletwin said:

I have to agree with you there 100%. There are some top notch actors in the prequels but Lucas wanted that old style serial over acting tecnique....but I digress. :D

pixletwin said:

even Hayden Christensen? he's pretty much the focus on ep2 and 3. And I am not impress with his acting in general, not just SW. And yeah, its a shame with the other actors. not sure about Sam, I keep expecting him pulling out a gun than a light saber:D , that guys is kinda type casted, but he is good at what he does.

minivader said:
even Hayden Christensen? he's pretty much the focus on ep2 and 3. And I am not impress with his acting in general, not just SW. And yeah, its a shame with the other actors. not sure about Sam, I keep expecting him pulling out a gun than a light saber:D , that guys is kinda type casted, but he is good at what he does.

Have seen him in any other movies? He is a pretty good actor.

I like Maul. Well his design and fighting anyway. I would have prefered Dooku through the whole thing and Greivious appearing first in AOTC. Dooku in my mind is the opposite to Old Ben in the originals.

Seth Gecko said:
Thats a cool way of lookin at it.

That is cool. I guess the same could be said of Palpatine. Especially that creepy shot where he is deathly white in ROTS and puts his hand on Vaderkins burnt brow. :emperor

I saw that and thought of Ben doing the same to Luke in ANH after he was attacked by sandpeople.

pixletwin said:

Actually I really disagree. A really fine actor shines through despite a bad director. You can tell with some--Obi-Wan, Dooku, Palpatine, and a few others. However, some actors in the PT just don't have the talent to really break through Lucas' failure to direct--not bad directing, but a bad lack of it at all. Hayden Christenson is just a bad actor. He has terrible technique, is over-the-top, and really is awkward on screen. A good director could level that out a bit, but George didn't. Padme was really bad in some scenes, good in others. Lucas didn't help her to be consistent though. Directors aren't as mighty as people think. They can inhibit actors, but can't restrain them. A real actor knows how to work with what he's got. Hayden, and to a lesser extent Natalie, did not.

I blame George, yeah, but not for everything. Hayden is a very amateur actor with little real talent--at least none that was seen in the PT.

Captain Faramir said:

I blame George, yeah, but not for everything. Hayden is a very amateur actor with little real talent--at least none that was seen in the PT.

I ask you, my little green friend, have you seen a non-SW movie with Hayden? Hmmmmmmm?

Back