Cost Of Living: Food

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, there is your problem - you're eating healthy.

Junk food is cheaper.

:D
YUP...that health food stuff costs a fortune, and eating out for dinner/drinks will kill a budget...justa burger and 2 beers costs 23- bucks with tip @ fridays and thats a light cheap meal

Great thread!!! I'm actually looking at my food spending now too, since I have to really budget myself as a student.

I live in San Fran, and I budget myself about $400ish/month. I've cut down a lot on spending liberally on food. I make my own coffee everyday instead of going to 4bucks, and I cook chicken and rice usually once a week (which lasts me a few meals) an j mainly have egg whites and oatmeal every morning. The thing that gets SUPER expensive (and I KNOW skiman can relate) is the cost of food when you work out a lot and eat healthy! It's insane. I'm at the grocery store at least twice a week. And not to mention, supplements add up fast! (I usually buy a box of protein bars, $25, a tub of protein, $30, and maybe some creatine or NO product, $40, once a month) so that's about $100 extra on top of a lot of food!

But I've been pretty conservative since I moved out here, and I don't eat out much. Especially any fancy restaurants, just mainly subway or a sandwhich somewhere.....
All in all, I'd say I realistically spend about $300-$400/month on everything?

Las Vegas, Married w/ 3 kids (8, 7 and 3)

Normally we spend about $150/week on food, that's just groceries and we try to do a "fun" meal once a week.

$600 -- month then I suppose

Probably around $400 a month. For just me.

Nope, we don't go to Walmart,

lot of Kashi and Amy's frozen meals, Kashi bars, etc.

I go to Walmart to get my Kashi stuff, then go to the regular grocery store for everything else. Kashi products at Walmart are waaaaaay cheaper than elsewhere. Better selection too.

OMG.... I thought I had it bad. I was probably spending about $150 a month all together. Now I'm trying to buy groceries instead of eating out so much.

My only problem comes from buying my almond milk (milk susbstitute) because it gets expensive, but I've been learning not to over use it. My worst habit when it comes to buying food presently is my love of Bud Light Lime, which is too expensive of a beer.

Las Vegas, Married w/ 3 kids (8, 7 and 3)

Normally we spend about $150/week on food, that's just groceries and we try to do a "fun" meal once a week.

$600 -- month then I suppose

About the same ($150 a week, married w/2 kids) in Canadian funds... But wait a sec-- are we counting BEER as food?... Make that number much higher. :duff

:drool:drink

Living alone, I tend to eat out a lot. I've noticed when I do buy food - a lot of it ends up going to waste. I bought some chicken and hamburger a couple weeks ago...didn't cook it and forgot to put it in the freezer...so that's about $15 that I just threw out. I'm bad with leftovers too....I'm a picky eater and tend to rarely want to eat the food the I buy at the store.

So for me, I spend around $600/month. I do the grocery shopping for my boss and that comes to around $250/week for her and her daughter...and they eat out about 1/2 of their meals...so you could double/triple that amount for them.

Depending on what you eat and what deals you can find, it's sometimes cheaper to eat out when it's only one or two of you, unless you're happy with cereal or PB and J every night.

Living alone, I tend to eat out a lot. I've noticed when I do buy food - a lot of it ends up going to waste. I bought some chicken and hamburger a couple weeks ago...didn't cook it and forgot to put it in the freezer...so that's about $15 that I just threw out. I'm bad with leftovers too....I'm a picky eater and tend to rarely want to eat the food the I buy at the store.

So for me, I spend around $600/month. I do the grocery shopping for my boss and that comes to around $250/week for her and her daughter...and they eat out about 1/2 of their meals...so you could double/triple that amount for them.

That happens to me alot too. If you figure out what all you spend to try and make a meal for one or two, you can eat out for cheaper. At least that's the way it is around here, plus a happy meal is enough for me at times. :lol

Even though I'm overweight (My downfall is wholemeal bread), my wife and don't buy any junk food.
The problem with that, is healthy food costs a lot more than junk.

Even though I'm overweight (My downfall is wholemeal bread), my wife and don't buy any junk food.
The problem with that, is healthy food costs a lot more than junk.

Depends on what you buy. Plenty of healthy food is much cheaper than junk food, but if you want to get fancy every single meal, or buy fully prepared healthy meals instead of cooking it yourself, well yeah, it'll cost more.

I have to suspect that oatmeal has to be the cheapest/healthiest/easiest breakfast a person could have. If you get plain oats, they aren't super expensive. You could take a container and make it last close to forever. Keeps you regular. Good for you.

I wonder if someone could do it for 20 bucks a week if they were a single person. Probably lots of soup ( make your own with potatoes), peanut butter, oatmeal, refried beans, Ramen, eggs and broccoli.

Gekko

If I was single I could live really cheaply as I love rice and thats so cheap. I would just swap different ingredients like chicken, sausage, frozen vegetables and sauces. Probably a week of meals for $25 and a lot healthier than frozen meals or ramen. Alas, I have to vary it up for the wife.

On just food I think my wife and I spend probably around $80-$90 a week on groceries and will eat out maybe once or twice.

So probably around $550 a month for two in Oklahoma. Although I'd like to get the eating out down, as its usually not good for you and expensive. I'd like to get it down to no more than once a week, but sometimes you just want to be lazy and eat something bad :lol

Depends on what you buy. Plenty of healthy food is much cheaper than junk food, but if you want to get fancy every single meal, or buy fully prepared healthy meals instead of cooking it yourself, well yeah, it'll cost more.

I don't know what it's like around your parts, dr., but fresh veggies and fruits are expesive unless you can find it on sale. Same with meat.

Actually frozen dinner are pretty cheap now and you can get healthy ones, except for the high salt content. It's hard to find them without the sodium being really high.

Same with fast food. The most expensive fast food is the healthiest.

It is a bit easier when you're alone and don't have to take someone else into consideration. A spouse, partner, children or parent can sure wreck the best intentions sometimes. :lol

I got a big ass seedless Watermelon the other day for 2 bucks. Yum!

:lol:lol Wow. what do you normally drink if you think bud light lime is expensive? Natty Light? Keep it classy. :rotfl

I'm actually more of a wine person, not a beer drinker. I just got hooked on this particular one. I'm only going by the stuff my father buys, and BL Lime is more expensive than what he buys. So, yeah, he must buy cheap. $14 once a week for a 12 pack is expensive to me considering I'm trying to keep my grocery/food expense at about $120 a month.

Whatever.

Back