coolprops---dog alien maquette!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think, seams are pretty OK for all the Gigers' bio-mech designs.
This statue is beautiful.
I'm very interested to see it side-by-side with Sideshows' maquette. Because Sideshow have their maquettes bigger than 1/4 scale for sure.

I was thinking the seams might have been from the design too but if you look at the ADI statue in the other thread, the company who created the statue did not have any on theirs.

The movie stills don’t have them either. Not for the Dog.

I don’t have a problem with them myself. I’m just curious as to why they included them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_3284.jpg

Those pics are from the rubber suit worn by an actor. The puppet must be a bit tad different. The thing that concerns me is thepaint job on the latest pic in the Shanghai convention, it looks alittle greenish than the one in the reveal with Kelvin.

I hate seams on any statue, it's amateurish and not acceptable on expensive collectibles. That said, the jury is still completely out on how the production pieces of this one may be produced.

I'm okay with most seams as long as they are clean with little gap. I know there are a lot of instances where you just can't cast something in one piece, so it's acceptable.

I was thinking the seams might have been from the design too but if you look at the ADI statue in the other thread, the company who created the statue did not have any on theirs.

The movie stills don’t have them either. Not for the Dog.

I don’t have a problem with them myself. I’m just curious as to why they included them.

Neither the rod puppet nor the maquettes had any seams in the design. The new ADI maquettes have the tail separate for shipping,but nothing else. If those are actual seams on the P1/CP,then they would only be there for breaking the maquette down for shipping.Not that it's really going to reduce shipping cost by doing so.

The Sideshow maquette only had the tail separate on theirs when they shipped it.

The head slips in between the shoulder tubes. So they wouldn’t need to.

You're correct. I was looking at it wrong.

I'm okay with most seams as long as they are clean with little gap. I know there are a lot of instances where you just can't cast something in one piece, so it's acceptable.

Seams are of course inevitable in many production instances. But there are ways to deal with them. Any junior hobbyist with a £10 model airplane kit will make sure that all seems are filled and sanded. It's extra work, but it isn't that hard to do and it makes all the difference. It isn't too hard to expect a $1600 statue to be seamless. Now having to break something down for shipping is a different issue. But my Prime 1 ID4 Alien has huge seams and still arrived in a massive box regardless, it may as well have been one solid piece. I'd rather pay a little more to ship a bigger box, than live with a statue with multiple seams personally.

If this Dog from P1 doesn’t need assembly and comes with all the legs/arms affixed to the body but was affixed permanently in production, then I’d say that’s a little odd.

And if it’s not and you have to assemble the entire thing, idk, I guess they want to fit the whole thing in one box. Lol.

Seams are of course inevitable in many production instances. But there are ways to deal with them. Any junior hobbyist with a £10 model airplane kit will make sure that all seems are filled and sanded. It's extra work, but it isn't that hard to do and it makes all the difference. It isn't too hard to expect a $1600 statue to be seamless. Now having to break something down for shipping is a different issue. But my Prime 1 ID4 Alien has huge seams and still arrived in a massive box regardless, it may as well have been one solid piece. I'd rather pay a little more to ship a bigger box, than live with a statue with multiple seams personally.

I agree with ya. But, fortunately this body has a lot of break lines in it just from the design, so actual seams are pretty well hidden IMO.

I agree with ya. But, fortunately this body has a lot of break lines in it just from the design, so actual seams are pretty well hidden IMO.

Yeah they “seam” to give it that Giger esque look. [emoji23]

Which is okay. I just can’t wait to find out why they went that route.

The sideshow / adi alien 3 came fully assembled minus the tail. There's different ways to mold and design a statue that are all fine so long as the weight and ability to support are sound and the aesthetic isn't compromised.
The sideshow piece is renowned for the left knee dropping an inch to touch the base. But it still supports its own weight and may be better for touching the base as added support

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It’s just hard to see them doing all four limbs this way. Maybe the front but the back too? I could see them leaving the hind legs fixed to the body, which If keyed into the base properly, might support the entire piece. Have the front arms assembled along with the head and tail.

Very curious on how they will do it though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only thing with the limbs needing assembly is that the keying and metal rods need to be able to lock together otherwise the statue will fall apart while being inserted into the base. Gluing and assembly at the factory might be a good thing.

I'm hoping they are using some sort of metal wire armature in the back AND front legs to support the weight and keep it from leaning in any direction or breaking due to the weight over time. The front legs are especially thin, and look very prone to warping/breaking if they have to support any real weight. The connection points of the alien to the base are fairly minimal which is a concern given how thin the arms & legs are.

It may just be the prototype that has those separation points and not the end production run. Could be for easier handling for shows.

This from the whiplash video. You can clearly see the separation lines. They’re pretty obvious especially in the hind leg area when viewed from above. Arms as well.

I’m thinking it’s going to be completely modular. Steel rods and magnets. That wall behind her could be modular as well. Hell, maybe even the candles. Lol.

769e4f267748cbefb7b55a3e7fe308a0.jpg
dab97f8ccd636830e7c566d0f193dbaa.jpg

Back