Cooking Class?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProgMatinee

circlesendwheretheybegin
Reaction score
Has anyone ever taken a cooking class?

I want to learn how to cook really good Chinese food and maybe some other more difficult US dishes.

Classes seem a little pricey at $60-$90 for a 3 hour session.

Are they fun, educational, or am I better off just trying recipes from books and the internet?

It all depends on the environment that you'd be learning from. Prices always vary from cooking school to cooking school. I'd really reseach the place where you'd take your cooking sessions and see if you can get any feedback.

You are from Colorado right? Check out Johnson & Wales University at the Denver campus. We have Johnson & Wales culinary schools here in Providence and I can't recommend them enough. They are excellent schools to learn from whether taking one class or turning your passion of cooking into a career.

Initially I was just looking going to a rec center or something, but man that would be a dream to get out of the accounting office and into a kitchen, but I don't have the passion or the want-to at that level.

I want to learn how to cook really good Chinese food and maybe some other more difficult US dishes.

Are they fun, educational, or am I better off just trying recipes from books and the internet?

How about I do some videos for you on cooking and you can learn from those? For free? :lol

Initially I was just looking going to a rec center or something, but man that would be a dream to get out of the accounting office and into a kitchen, but I don't have the passion or the want-to at that level.

I don't mean to derail the thread, but I am curious to hear a little about accounting from you.

My wife went to school for accounting and became a teacher instead because she could not find accounting work. I have a buddy who is a fellow inspector and he moved over from accounting because he wanted to make more money.

I always thought accounting was the high dollar work. But my buddy told me that most accounting is just data entry clerk work, now. Is that your experience?

I've taken a class on sushi, my dream is to go to school to be a master chef but I'm stuck laying carpet and wood floors at the moment. Bummer!

Well...I work for the government and always have after college, so I can't say what the "Real World" is like, but here its pretty much data entry I suppose on my end (or at least reviewing other people's data entry). My real title is Budget Analyst and my function is making sure that the organization is using federal funds appropriately and timely.

I don't know if I can really answer your question, but I suppose if you work in a large corporation then each accounting position is fairly one dimensional: payroll, accounts receivable, accounts payable, financial reporting, asset management, etc.

Its more involved if you're in a small company and have to dabble in all of that.

A lot of accountants get their feet wet in auditing other companies, which can be more exciting, but they work you to the bone.

Well...I work for the government and always have after college, so I can't say what the "Real World" is like, but here its pretty much data entry I suppose on my end. My real title is Budget Analyst and my function is making sure that people are using federal funds the correct way and such.

I don't know if I can really answer your question, I suppose if you work in a large corporation then each accounting position is fairly one dimensional: payroll, accounts receivable, accounts payable, financial reporting, asset management, etc.

Its more involved if you're in a small company and have to dable in all of that.

A lot of accountants get their feet wet in auditing other companies, which can be more exciting, but they work you to the bone.

Thanks...that actually sounds a little like what another frind of mine used to do.

I'll let the thread get back on track, now.

:)

You're much better getting a decent authentic Chinese cookbook and practice, practice, practice. You'll prob only learn to make 3 or 4 things in that class. What kind of Chinese food are you interested in?

Here are links to some respected books:

CHOPSTICKS, CLEAVER AND WOK:
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Chopsticks-Cleaver-Wok-Jennie-Low/dp/1462010407/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1323125701&sr=1-5[/ame]

WISDOM OF CHINESE KITCHEN:
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Wisdom-Chinese-Kitchen-Classic-Celebration/dp/0684847396/ref=sr_1_1?[/ame]

LAND OF PLENTY:
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Land-Plenty-Treasury-Authentic-Sichuan/dp/0393051773/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323125431&sr=8-1[/ame]

If you want to go a bit more modern, nothing in this world beats David Chang's Momo___u:

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Momo___u-David-Chang/dp/030745195X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323126012&sr=8-1[/ame]

Last edited:
I am proficient at cooking most English based meals (Yorkshires are my favorite)

I am also a highly esteemed baker. I have been requested by my sister to cater part of her wedding.

All without a single professional lesson:lecture

Thanks mom!:clap

Yeah, my mom was no cook. Frozen salsbury steaks and pizza rolls were pretty much her favorite things to "cook".

I'm pretty proficient myself. Anything that's cooked in a frying pan or the deep fryer I am actually aces at.

When I get to cooking with the oven I'm less than great and I always have a hard time cooking a good steak on the grill to the right temperature.

Just want to learn some new techniques and maybe learn how to be a little more creative rather than following recipes.

There are definite benefits to taking a class. You can really cut down the time it would take via trial and error to things like which seasonings to use to get a specific effect and cooking times. I learned a few things growing up and discovered more by myself. But I am thinking that a class or two on some of the things I want to improve on is not such a bad idea.

I remember thinking to myself that it took far too long for me to learn some of the simple aspects of cooking. I would think a class would be a good way to go.

I used to want to be a Chef..... Kinda still do. Cooked all through my late teens and a lot of my twenty's...... Hard work but I had some great times....

Funny this thread started because for the last week I've been pouring over several books about the profession. Almost done with Beaten, seared, and sauced by Jonathan Dixon. One I used back in the day was The New Professional Chef. It'll walk you through the basics......

As for the OP, it sounds like you're at least comfortable in your home kitchen. I'd read up on some of the books VA recommended and practice away.

For Sithlord..... If you really have the dream to be a Chef, I say F'n go for it.....I just started reading a small book called Tasting success by Charles M. Carroll. So far it's pretty good. Good luck man....... I'm sure VA would give you some help with your decision.

Yeah, my mom was no cook. Frozen salsbury steaks and pizza rolls were pretty much her favorite things to "cook".

Ima take care of ya bro!

Now, for real English. We'll talk and get the ball rolling. Do you want me to film my cooking tonight? :exactly:
:D

Funny this thread started because for the last week I've been pouring over several books about the profession. Almost done with Beaten, seared, and sauced by Jonathan Dixon.

Make sure you read Michael Ruhlman's books:

"The Making of a Chef"
"Soul of a Chef"
"Reach of a Chef"

I also highly recommend, not just to those interested in food, Grant Achatz's "Life, on the Line." The story of his battle with stage 4 tongue cancer and his development of the groundbreaking "Alinea" restaurant in Chicago.

Back