Computer savy people please help!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THX-182

Super Freak
Reaction score
Ok. I have an Alienware M15x laptop with Windows 7 and I usually only use it for games. Well I was downloading a plug-in for a video player and after it downloaded my computer reset itself and when it tried to load Windows 7 I got a Startup error and it attempted to run a Startup Repair. It failed and constantly reset and did the same thing again. I attempted to do a system restore to restore it to the day before hoping that would fix it but it did the same thing.

Being that I only play games on it I was okay with performing a restore to factory settings restore hoping that would just wipe it and I could start from scratch. However upon doing that and attempting to start Windows for the "First time" I got a Blue Screen of Death error that upon my research is called a iastor.sys error. This is what the blue screen looks like:

IMG_0321.jpg

In my online research I came across some solutions that suggested opening the BIOS settings and changing the SATA Operation from AHCI to ATA and run windows and download updated drivers and stuff and then go change the BIOS back to AHCI.

My problem is that when I change the BIOS setting to ATA, the first screen I see when I turn it on which gives the F2, F12 options hangs for quite a while and then I get the same Startup Error/Startup Repair (which fails).

I don't know what to do. I've contacted Alienware/Dell support and so far they've been unsuccessful finding a solution despite charging me $89 plus tax for servicing me. I did not get any disks with my laptop so there is no option to reload from a Windows disk like the guy suggested on the phone.

Anyone who is tech savy know anything I can do to possibly just get into Windows or fix this completely? I've even downloaded a BitDefender Recovery CD and booted from that and it scanned for viruses but found none.

Can someone help me?

When you reinstalled Windows did you reformat the hard drive?

If you didn't I would suggest doing that, if that doesn't work, do the full reformat option rather than quick format. If that's not working still then it's definitely a hardware issue. Perhaps the bios needs to be updated.

Ok I forgot to tell you guys I am not a tech guy or a computer geek. If you are going to suggest things, I'm gonna need a walk through.

Oh and I wanted to make it very known that I can't get into Windows at all. Anything I need to do has to be done by either pushing F2, F8, F10, F12 or any other F button that does something in the windows pre-load sequence.

Can you boot in through Safe Mode? I am an IT Administrator in real life when I am not playing on here. :lol

If you haven't tried that already, please do. When you first boot up the PC, keep pressing F8 which will bring you to a screen where you can select "Safe Mode". If it allows you to boot all the way in to Win 7 that way, then it is most likely a software issue with your OS. Once in, you can attempt to remove that plugin or run some other diagnostics that maybe can help fix the issue. Also, if you haven't already done so, install a anti-spyware program and run a scan while in Safe Mode. It could have been some sort of malware that installed when you first installed that plugin. I recommend using malwarebytes. It is free.

If you can log in using Safe Mode, then try also booting in using "Safe Mode with Networking". This will allow you internet access to download things while in that mode. This way, you can download and update malwarebytes or any other software you may want to use while in Safe Mode.

Hope this helps,
Ron

Can't boot in safe mode. It tries to but since it wants me to set up windows as if it was my first time using the computer after purchase, I can't.

Can't boot in safe mode. It tries to but since it wants me to set up windows as if it was my first time using the computer after purchase, I can't.

Besides the game, do you have any data on there that you need recovered before wiping the hard drive?

Do you have a windows recovery boot sector on your harddrive? They do NOT send out disks anymore, instead they put a recovery partition on your harddrive.

Ok I forgot to tell you guys I am not a tech guy or a computer geek. If you are going to suggest things, I'm gonna need a walk through.

Oh and I wanted to make it very known that I can't get into Windows at all. Anything I need to do has to be done by either pushing F2, F8, F10, F12 or any other F button that does something in the windows pre-load sequence.

Reinstall windows without Windows working--place the disc in the computer and start it up, at some point it should ask to press any key to load from the disc, when it does that press enter and it'll start up the Windows 7 installer, they made it much easier to use, so when you get the option, format the hard drive and install windows on there.

If it doesn't have the option to load from the disc, then your bios isn't setup to start the disc drive before the hard drive, you would have to go into the bios and change the startup order. I'd give you a step by step on that but each bios is a bit different.

Besides the game, do you have any data on there that you need recovered before wiping the hard drive?

Nothing I need to keep on the hard drive

Do you have a windows recovery boot sector on your harddrive? They do NOT send out disks anymore, instead they put a recovery partition on your harddrive.

There is DellDataSafe recovery but I tried that. That is what gave me the blue screen error. I tried restoring the computer to factory settings. When windows loads and gives me a "Setup is preparing your computer for first use" load screen and then blue error screen and reboots and repeats. I took the battery out of the laptop and it stayed out for 24 hours and I got past it to set up my computers name but it went to blue screen after that.

Reinstall windows without Windows working--place the disc in the computer and start it up, at some point it should ask to press any key to load from the disc, when it does that press enter and it'll start up the Windows 7 installer, they made it much easier to use, so when you get the option, format the hard drive and install windows on there.

If it doesn't have the option to load from the disc, then your bios isn't setup to start the disc drive before the hard drive, you would have to go into the bios and change the startup order. I'd give you a step by step on that but each bios is a bit different.

I can boot from a disc by pressing F12 but I was never sent a disc.

As was mentioned, they don't send recovery disks anymore. They expect you to burn your own recovery disk from the recovery partition if you want a physical disk.

It sounds like everything corrupted on your hard drive. Hopefully it is not because there is a "physical" problem with the drive.

I would agree with the post earlier then however if you do not have a Windows disc to use for the reinstall, then you are stuck between floors.

I would call back Dell and make a bigger stink about this. Since you did pay them already, they should at least be able to send you a physical disc to use. Tell them that your recovery partition is hosed as well and you need a CD to reinstall.

As was mentioned, they don't send recovery disks anymore. They expect you to burn your own recovery disk from the recovery partition if you want a physical disk.

This is not true. If you make a big enough stink, they will send you one. I have accomplished this before. :)

This is not true. If you make a big enough stink, they will send you one. I have accomplished this before. :)

It is true. You had to ask for a disk it wasn't with your computer, correct?

Why you trying to call me a liar?

Both of my last two laptops I have purchased didn't come with disks but came with directions for burning my own copies off of the recovery partition.

Talked to Dell customer service rep today. Said I'd need a windows disk that came with my laptop. I told him I never got one and he basically called me a liar. Then said without the warranty I could not get a new one from them. Warranty expired february. Warranty renewal is $340 something. Then he said I could buy a copy of windows 7 and try reinstalling it myself but it could be a hard drive error. In which case I'd have to buy a new hard drive and install it. Conveniently their warranty covers the replacement disc and a new HD if I needed one.

So looks like my only option is to renew the warranty. All solutions I've found online have failed.

It is true. You had to ask for a disk it wasn't with your computer, correct?

Why you trying to call me a liar?

Both of my last two laptops I have purchased didn't come with disks but came with directions for burning my own copies off of the recovery partition.

Who said I was calling you a liar? I just meant that if you complain hard enough, they can still get you a disk even though they don't normally give you one.

You are way too sensitive my friend. :peace

Talked to Dell customer service rep today. Said I'd need a windows disk that came with my laptop. I told him I never got one and he basically called me a liar. Then said without the warranty I could not get a new one from them. Warranty expired february. Warranty renewal is $340 something. Then he said I could buy a copy of windows 7 and try reinstalling it myself but it could be a hard drive error. In which case I'd have to buy a new hard drive and install it. Conveniently their warranty covers the replacement disc and a new HD if I needed one.

So looks like my only option is to renew the warranty. All solutions I've found online have failed.

Sorry to hear that. They make things a lot harder for customers when the warranty is expired.

Back