Common Courtesy in the hobby, and on the Boards

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Drizzle,

I completely agree bro, but it sounds like you got off easy. I recently had a member ask to make a deal with me for a PF and for me to hold it for a week until he got paid. Once pay day came, he asked if I would accept a trade instead, to which I said no.

Then I never heard back from him again.

Later that week he bumps his wtb thread saying he is looking to buy one again. I decided to post that some notification would ha ve been nice that the deal was off, especially since I waited a week already.

Then they decide to start a hate thread against me saying that I stole their money.... :slap:slap:slap

The moral quality of some people is despicable, but I like to think that 90% of collectors don't treat sellers like this...although, reading your original post makes me really wonder about people....

It's been a weird last couple of weeks for me. I sell figures from time to time, the last 3 months or so I have been selling some of my Hot Toys figures to make room for my most recent and quickly growing interest, threeA's "Adventure Kartel" figure line. I'm not one of those folks that keeps everything he buys and has a giant museum of toys in his house, I tend to cycle through if my focus changes, because my job doesn't pay lots (but I'm happy to have it!), my apartment is not but so big, and frankly, I just have no interest in living in opulent splendor with tons and tons of stuff filling multiple rooms. That just seems greedy to me. I like reasonable, I don't like more than I can reasonably enjoy. Thankfully, 1:6 figures seem to be a hobby where if you tire of a figure, you can get close to as much (and sometimes a bit more) than you paid for things, so keeping a reasonable collection is easy. There are some figures I plan to never sell, but that list stays small. So, like I said, as figures come in, some figures that aren't holding my interest fully need to go out. I'm also diabetic, and my insurance doesn't kick in for a couple of months, so my medical costs are high right now. Cycling out some figures allows me to get new ones here and there, and still cover all the expensive nonsense related to "the diabeetus". :lol
That's where my current dismay arises- I have had a selling thread going pretty strong since I dunno, about last October. I have sold a few figures a month, had no trouble whatsoever. I keep my prices reasonable, there is always someone that is interested, and transactions with fellow Freaks has been smooth and pleasant for all involved. :)
However, the last couple of weeks, I have seen a change. I have had a good FIVE people that contacted me, told me they wanted a figure, we discussed terms, we were practically there... and then nothing. At the point where I expect to see a paypal or google payment email in the next day or so... nothing. After a couple days, I PM the board member to check in, some answer, some just ignore me. Two finally answer after a couple of days with excuses, and it's obvious they had no intention of answering back at all except I pushed a little. Each one showed up as having been online multiple times since we made the deal, (so I know they just didn't bother to answer me) two had even made posts on another sale thread saying "PM sent" for sale items after dealing with me... :thud: guess they found something they wanted more... which leads me to the point of this post (and I apologize for the length of this post!).. :horror
Can we please be courteous to each other? :lecture
You know, wouldn't bother me half as much if the person PM'ed me and said "I can't get it after all, please offer it to someone else" or something of the sort. Instead, I'm left thinking we had a deal, awaiting payment, thinking my finances have improved, when the fellow board member has in actuality just moved on, hoping I won't notice or something... WELL I NOTICED.
I guess it just floors me, because I would never leave another person on here just "high and dry", never getting a reply back from me after having said I wanted to buy their item, and in some cases, even having already asked for the seller's paypal address. When I contact a seller and say, "I want it!" and they say "It's yours, pay me!" I *always* pay. Disappearing at that point is BAD FORM, and it's not better than just shying away, and ignoring. Please, if you deal on the boards, whether you are buying or selling, have the decency to communicate properly and politely with your fellow board member, and take the time to write and politely back out of a deal if you need to instead of ignoring and leaving your fellow Freak just hanging, expecting the completion of a sale or trade. That sale or item may have been very important to the other person, and at least if you talk to them, they know to move on.
Thank you for reading!

A neutral could be used for this purpose. That way we can at least see when people are doing this a lot.

Sounds fair enough to me. Can we make it a new rule? Because I too find it really annoying when people just disapear after a deal has been finalized.

Hey Drizzle,

I completely agree bro, but it sounds like you got off easy. I recently had a member ask to make a deal with me for a PF and for me to hold it for a week until he got paid. Once pay day came, he asked if I would accept a trade instead, to which I said no.

Then I never heard back from him again.

Later that week he bumps his wtb thread saying he is looking to buy one again. I decided to post that some notification would ha ve been nice that the deal was off, especially since I waited a week already.

Then they decide to start a hate thread against me saying that I stole their money....

The moral quality of some people is despicable, but I like to think that 90% of collectors don't treat sellers like this...although, reading your original post makes me really wonder about people....

That is why I don't hold anything for anyone anymore without them leaving a NRD, and even then its not my first choice.

A neutral could be used for this purpose. That way we can at least see when people are doing this a lot.

I had actually thought about that, but then I immediately thought that if they are willing to just leave a person hanging, they may also be willing to retaliate with bad feedback.

Why be scared of bad feedback? The truth comes out in a place like this. This isn't ebay where 1 bad feedback from a jackass sinks you.

That is why I don't hold anything for anyone anymore without them leaving a NRD, and even then its not my first choice.

True. I really think people should refrain from pming for items if they cant pay up front. I have over 70 transactions on board and I have never held off on paying a seller upfront. Why should I be expect any different for myself when I am selling.

I think I will only accept nrds on higher priced items from now on. If your into high end collecting, you should be able to pay for most stuff up front.

I still hold stuff for people sometimes. It's usually not a really big deal to me and selling my stuff hasn't ever been urgent or anything. I would appreciate the courtesy of them telling me that they can't afford it, though.

I'm fairly new to these boards (been a member for over 3 years, but I only started posting recently), but I see this on other forums b/s/t boards rather often. It sucks, but it happens. I understand that things happen sometimes and people get in a tight spot money-wise. At least if that's the case they could let the seller know something, instead of just bailing....

Good call Drizzle. I've had a LOT of people jerking me around on here via my FS thread. I just assumed it was me and part of the territory. A lot of, ok I'll get you a shipping quote and then they flake. Pieces of crap.

I'm fairly new to these boards (been a member for over 3 years, but I only started posting recently), but I see this on other forums b/s/t boards rather often. It sucks, but it happens. I understand that things happen sometimes and people get in a tight spot money-wise. At least if that's the case they could let the seller know something, instead of just bailing....

The majority of the issues would be resolved if buyers verified funds were available prior to committing to buy or notified buyer something needed to occur before funds would be available (ie sale an item of theirs). Instead they agree to purchase, request paypal information then upon "pressure" from buyer for payment confess they don't have funds and need to cancel. The buyer should be held accountable for misleading the seller.

If the buyer notifies the seller upfront it is a conditional purchase, the buyer has the option to hold or move forward. The buyer then assumes risk if the buyer is unable to secure funds.

I guess that's why it came to a head for me... maybe I just noticed it more because I really could use making the sales.
I'm the same way- no harm no foul if you don't leave me hanging, thinking I have money for gas food, or medicine this week.

I'm actually not too cool with sellers holding stuff for me without a deposit.

One thing I hate is the lowballers. I was offering an HT Godfather for something like 280 shipped in the US and an International seller wanted me to include free shipping on the item. Any of you who own the HT Godfather can imagine how expensive shipping would be on that.

I'm actually not too cool with sellers holding stuff for me without a deposit.

One thing I hate is the lowballers. I was offering an HT Godfather for something like 280 shipped in the US and an International seller wanted me to include free shipping on the item. Any of you who own the HT Godfather can imagine how expensive shipping would be on that.

OMG you would take such a loss. I'm cool with international if they are willing to pay the real shipping, and have had a few non-US people in the last few months that have been simply excellent to deal with, but yeah, 90% want some kind of super discount when it is actually more work shipping overseas. I loathe filling out customs forms, but will do it anyway for someone kind and upstanding. At my income level, I'm definitely not an action figure charity!

I just recently had an international boardie buy something from me. Nice guy, paid for the extra shipping but he insisted the item go first class. I know most of you know if the item is over 4lbs it automatically goes priority. I had such a tough time explaining this to him.

I just recently had an international boardie buy something from me. Nice guy, paid for the extra shipping but he insisted the item go first class. I know most of you know if the item is over 4lbs it automatically goes priority. I had such a tough time explaining this to him.

...at this point, you almost have to do Global Priority anyway, it provides tracking and delivery proof, you're taking a chance sending cheaper.

All I gotta say is that HT is really killing the resell market. Robocop, Predator and Iron Man figs being revisited. No one wants to buy any of the old figures now.

They're hurting themselves too, they just don't know it yet. the constant remakes, plus the fact that most figures cost over $200 is a real turn off. I probably only have 20% as many preorders with them right now than I had last year at this time. They simply don't need to charge that much, but they are pushing to see what they can get away with. It may take a few years, but it will bite them in the ass. I've seen this happen to so many other "collectibles" companies. they get "too big for their own britches". I absolutely think twice about every HT purchase because I know it will be harder to sell if I tire of it, and a better version may come along. I mean, Joker DX again? DX should be definitive version, the end.

Back