Columbus Day

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wetanut

Super Freak
Reaction score
Just wondering why Columbus Day is still officially (at least federally) a holiday here in US. There is now ample evidence that there were loads of others who "discovered" North America before him.....Irish, Chinese, Scandanavians, etc. Does anyone know? (yes, I'm bored):monkey1

He discovered America for the 15th century Europeans, who were experiencing a renaissance of Classical knowledge, and on the verge of scientific, political and industrial revolutions, the likes of which no culture had ever achieved. The New World was new to them, and the discovery that people did not have to continue living under the thumb of the tyrants of Western Europe (or any of the other tyrants soiling the world for the last 1000 years) was an opportunity worthy of celebration, and so was the man who opened the path to it.

However, I'm pretty sure Columbus Day was similar to St. Patrick's in that the Italian-American communities wanted a day celebrating one of their own.

I don't believe a man "discovered" anything if there were people already here when he arrived. He even loses the claim of being the first European on the continent, with the discovery of Viking relics in Nova Scotia. The only thing Columbus really did was introduce a sanitized culture to disease both figuratively and literally.

Just wondering why Columbus Day is still officially (at least federally) a holiday here in US. There is now ample evidence that there were loads of others who "discovered" North America before him.....Irish, Chinese, Scandanavians, etc. Does anyone know? (yes, I'm bored):monkey1

Ssshhhhh!!

Are you serious?
People get a holiday, and you question it?

Booooo!!!!!

if Columbus was anything but Jewish there would be no holiday. but you do have to appreciate his creativity with cutting the nose and ears of the Indians we kinda need such systems in today's justice systems.

if Columbus was anything but Jewish there would be no holiday. but you do have to appreciate his creativity with cutting the nose and ears of the Indians we kinda need such systems in today's justice systems.

Columbus was Italian, dingus. :lol

you sat down and had dinners with him? if you didnt then how Italian is he to you because you read some textbook saying so?

Unless your plan is to get banned for posting antisemitic bull****, I suggest you do your own research. Start with the man's full name. :wink1:

I'm just happy for a holiday, and to have a day off from classes and work :lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back