Premium Format Colossus PF

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Colossus PF Sneak Peek

It is funny nobody is complaining the price of the Destroyer which is $100 more then Colossus.

Actually people DID complain vehemently about the price of the Destroyer statue, which was a Legacy piece. I complained, and Mesa complained, for at least two that I can recall. The Iron Man Legacy piece was the same scale, but it had great detail, which would help to justify the price.

This Colossus at $400 is way overpriced. It is so overpriced I am considering sculpting my own instead. (Yes, I have the talent, but I am too lazy to sculpt a statue when I can but one cheaply enough. I COULD make copies to make it worth my while, because sculpting just ONE is a lot of work, but really don't want the legal hassle of making unlicensed products.) The difference of the materials between a 20 inch statue and a 26 inch statue is negligible. There is very little difference in the labor, as well. Plastic is cheap.

Actually people DID complain vehemently about the price of the Destroyer statue, which was a Legacy piece. I complained, and Mesa complained, for at least two that I can recall. The Iron Man Legacy piece was the same scale, but it had great detail, which would help to justify the price.

This Colossus at $400 is way overpriced. It is so overpriced I am considering sculpting my own instead. (Yes, I have the talent, but I am too lazy to sculpt a statue when I can but one cheaply enough. I COULD make copies to make it worth my while, because sculpting just ONE is a lot of work, but really don't want the legal hassle of making unlicensed products.) The difference of the materials between a 20 inch statue and a 26 inch statue is negligible. There is very little difference in the labor, as well. Plastic is cheap.
:monkey1:monkey1:monkey1 you hit the mark on this. If you sculpted this yourself, labor alone will over exceed $400. If u pay someone to do a custom Colossus, it would also cost more then $400. I rather pay a license product then do a custom statue anytime of the day.

You thinking about sculpting this by hand or 3d? I have considered making my own 3d sculpt and having it 3d printed but it would def cost more than $400 esp if i wanted it nicely painted.

Here's the Custom I have, at purchase he went for $300 to $350, he stands at 21" plus, I am showing him in this setting so I hope the Mods do not take it down
002-18.jpg

Here's the Custom I have, at purchase he went for $300 to $350, he stands at 21" plus, I am showing him in this setting so I hope the Mods do not take it down
002-18.jpg

Love those fully sculpted suits, especially the metallic one. That's one kickass collection! : )

002-18.jpg

wow, that is a great deal for a custom! Was that custom sculpted from scratch? or was it more of a mod from an existing statue? either way, at that price what a great deal!

Now we know what happens to so many wives how they expand so quickly... they are made of unstable molecules :goodpost::lecture

LOL! What I always wondered is why Reed never gave a pair of unstable molecule pants to Bruce Banner. Maybe he had a hard time making them in purple.:lol

You thinking about sculpting this by hand or 3d? I have considered making my own 3d sculpt and having it 3d printed but it would def cost more than $400 esp if i wanted it nicely painted.

I would sculpt by hand. I don't have much experience with computer art. I don't even have a drawing tablet. I use a trackball to draw with, which is really difficult to do. I can work with it, but everything takes at least 5 times as long to do, plus I use the trackball with my left hand and I am right handed. I would use spray cans an masking tape to paint with. It's the only way to get a quality finish, IMO. I would either sculpt out of clay, or sculpt in wax and do a lost wax bronze or brass casting, or get a big block of stainless steel and cut it out with a milling machine and then a die grinder, and finally, hand tools, but that sounds like a very long project. Still, a Colossus statue out of stainless steel would be cool, considering he is supposed to be made of steel.
Stainless steel is very hard, so it would take a while. The cost of the materials might be more than $400, though, for 3 cubic feet of billet stainless, lol.

Kinda wish I didnt buy that Koto Colossus for 250.

The SSC Comiquette 1/5th scale was a better bang for the buck.

Still indifferent with the PF, maybe Ill change my mind but I look forward to the inhand pics.

The wings on his costume should've been more angular, even pleather would've been an acceptable substitute.

...as for the "quality" of the cloth, it looks like the same cloth SS has used from their earlier products. I don't see anything wrong with the sculpt either. :dunno.

You're missing the point, Brainiac. No one is debating the quality of the cloth being used or comparing it to the type of cloth that was used on any previous PF. People are disappointed that cloth was used for that particular part of his costume. Geezus...

BB

I was referring to your flawed logic & poor attitude regarding how Sideshow shouldn't listen to their customers' complaints and concerns regarding their products. You were basically telling us to "put up or shut up".
See, maybe you "like it" but many people don't so maybe its you who believes that his opinion is "golden" and should override everyone else's :dunno :monkey4
A lot of collectors were anticipating The Colossus PF for a long time now only to be presented with a rather flawed product by Sideshow..from the terrible print, to the oversized gauntlets and undersized hands, the overspaced lines on his armor, the shorts that should ride up, even on "organic steel", to the Barbie-ish fabric used to make the clothing, the overall look of a large action figure and the unimaginative pose that looks similar to a Bowen piece :monkey1
For a 400$ price tag, many customers felt Sideshow should have put a little more effort and imagination into the Colossus PF and they should most definitely voice their complaints & concerns as it often leads to the company making improvements to the quality of the end product as with the case of DCD's Catwoman PF :lecture

:exactly: Don't know what type of fabric they used on Colossus's clothing but looks far from "high end" material.
Hopefully, Catwoman won't be just a blown up 1:4 version of the AH DC cover girls version :monkey4

You're missing the point, Brainiac. No one is debating the quality of the cloth being used or comparing it to the type of cloth that was used on any previous PF. People are disappointed that cloth was used for that particular part of his costume. Geezus...

BB

Here you go Sherlock.

tumblr_lqvo5vqm5x1qii6tmo1_500.gif

A lot of collectors were anticipating The Colossus PF for a long time now only to be presented with a rather flawed product by Sideshow..from the terrible print, to the oversized gauntlets and undersized hands, the overspaced lines on his armor, the shorts that should ride up, even on "organic steel", to the Barbie-ish fabric used to make the clothing, the overall look of a large action figure and the unimaginative pose that looks similar to a Bowen piece :monkey1
For a 400$ price tag, many customers felt Sideshow should have put a little more effort and imagination into the Colossus PF and they should most definitely voice their complaints & concerns as it often leads to the company making improvements to the quality of the end product as with the case of DCD's Catwoman PF :lecture

3001211_press04.jpg
[/IMG]
300121_press01-001.jpg
[/IMG]

It is a disappointing piece, but I think that as a sculpture, it really has more positives than negatives. I think that the print is not terrible, but merely a simple sketch watercolor look, which has a certain appeal, and many will like it. It doesn't blow me away, though.
Actually, I think the gauntlets are pretty correct in scale, if you look at where they meet the forearm, near the elbow. They look big near the hands because the hands are at least half to one third the volume that they should be. Not half to one third width and length, but one half to one third volume, as in water displacement. Something that is twice the length in three dimensions is actually 8 times as large. Just take a one inch cube and then see that you need 8 one inch cubes to make a cube twice as high.
As far as the fabric, it looks like he is wearing a turtleneck made of sweater material. The yellow in the middle of his chest looks too wide, and the red suspenders look about a third too narrow.
I also disagree with the lines on his body being black. They are black in the comics and cartoons, but that is just to show shadow in the grooves. Since this piece is three dimensional, there is no need for black in there, especially at this scale. They look superfluous. Steel is shiny, not black. I understand how his skin turns silver in his metal form, but how do you explain the black in there? It makes no sense. It would look more real just silver, not to mention the fact that it would be one less thing for those Chinese workers to mess up. Remember the Spider Man webbing debacle.

I do think think that this is a better Colossus than the Cyclops statue was a Cyclops. So far, the only great X man PF has been Gambit, correct me if I am wrong.

The biggest problem with this statue is the price.

Looks awesome IMO... Dont like the character enough to buy it though.

Lol....weren't you the one having an orgasm every time you posted about Madame Hydra? Now you aren't even ordering her but ordering Colossus which you pretty much hate? :lol

p.s. I think Madame Hydra is a terrible character and a waste of time. That's just my opinion though and I'm not going to go off about how Sideshow needs to pick more popular characters or their company is going to go under.

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

Back