Color of Frankenstein's suit?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ursus3978

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Contrary to many of the current toy representations of the Frankenstein Monster, I always thought his outfit was all black (and not just because the movie is in black and white). Black jacket and pants over a black shirt.

Anyone know if it was indeed all black?

And if so, why do they constantly make toys of him with green jackets and dark gray pants?

-Ray

I've always wondered this myself. SS 1/6th scale figures had the green coat while the PF's had the black coat.

Couldn't find it, but found this...

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/iPTPP9tBZ6A&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/iPTPP9tBZ6A&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>​

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/iPTPP9tBZ6A&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/iPTPP9tBZ6A&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>​

Yeah, it's cool to see any color images from these old movies, and it shows that Sideshow was close with their 12" version (they made the fur vest a little too dark) of the Son of Frankenstein.

But as far as the original first Frankenstein movie - what is correct?
12" figures (Hasbro,Sideshow), 8" figure (Emce), etc. - all have the green jacket/dark gray pant color combo, but as people have pointed out - the SS premium format has a black suit.

Now I see there is a new 1/4 scale Frankenstein coming out with what appears to greenish/brown suit.

I never realized that Dr. Frankenstein provided his creature with such an extensive wardrobe.

-Ray

The original suit has always been believed to be all black. It was always portrayed as such in the 60's merchandising as well. As to the mystery as to why he keeps getting put in greens and browns...that crap started in the 1990's. Wanna know who started it? Universal. In their character key design sheets they send out, they specify the color scheme for the monsters clothes,and there hasnt been much wiggle room/creative license in the past to get around it. Universal calls the shots. The same character key shows the Mummy with two eyes and a scarab ring. Which is the Karloff mummy and is also why we never get any of the Chaney Mummy in our items. Because one of his eyes was burned/gouged from its socket. he was a staple of 60's merchandising...but luckily we had Universal to "save us" from enduring anything but Karloff's Mummy. This is why all of SSC's 12" Frankenstein monsters have the same goofy color scheme. Fortunately it was dropped for the first pf and the diorama. :clap

Thats why DST's 1/4 scale Frankie has the same crappy color scheme, and the deluxe 7 inch version going to comic shoppes is going to have...you guessed it: Green coat and brown pants. Its Universal's doing and its stupid. Its a shame that such a crappy entity owns the intellectual rights to the classic monsters and does things to make them as undesirable as possible to people.:cuckoo::cuckoo:

Last edited:
Thats why the Wolfman is usually only in green top and brown pants. For awhile he used to alternate between a red shirt. But its been green for ages now. Universal's suits suck. Thats also prolly why we aint getting anything Universal from SSC anymore. The friggin' suits and their bullcrap.

Last edited:
The original suit has always been believed to be all black. It was always portrayed as such in the 60's merchandising as well. As to the mystery as to why he keeps getting put in greens and browns...that crap started in the 1990's. Wanna know who started it? Universal. In their character key design sheets they send out, they specify the color scheme for the monsters clothes,and there hasnt been much wiggle room/creative license in the past to get around it. Universal calls the shots. The same character key shows the Mummy with two eyes and a scarab ring. Which is the Karloff mummy and is also why we never get any of the Chaney Mummy in our items. Because one of his eyes was burned/gouged from its socket. he was a staple of 60's merchandising...but luckily we had Universal to "save us" from enduring anything but Karloff's Mummy. This is why all of SSC's 12" Frankenstein monsters have the same goofy color scheme. Fortunately it was dropped for the first pf and the diorama. :clap

Thats why DST's 1/4 scale Frankie has the same crappy color scheme, and the deluxe 7 inch version going to comic shoppes is going to have...you guessed it: Green coat and brown pants. Its Universal's doing and its stupid. Its a shame that such a crappy entity owns the intellectual rights to the classic monsters and does things to make them as undesirable as possible to people.:cuckoo::cuckoo:

Thanks Dr. Phibes. You really know your stuff!

I kind of figured as much with regard to it just being a Universal licensing issue.

It's just so annoying that in an era where collectors are (usually) concerned with having their movie collectibles being as accurate as possible (see the DC section for numerous discussions on the minute details of the various Dark Knight figures), that they would ignore what was on the screen and insist on this inaccurate color scheme.
The PF Frankenstein looks so much sharper in all black.

A sharp Freankenstein's Monster is quite an oxymoron. But seriously, I always love learning about this stuff from you knowledgable boardies. Thanks!

OH MY! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rock :D

Can you grab a screen cap of the color photo of the Wolfman?

I cant do that screen cap stuff. Never learned how people do that. I will pause it on my pc screen and take a snapshot. This is not a recently colorized photo, this is the actual old photo presumably taken in color, with the eyes darkened(Lon Chaney Jr. actually had blue eyes), and I believe it is either from The Universal archives, the Lon Chaney estates or the Ron Borst collection.

Interestingly enough, Sideshow's Wolfman pf follows this pretty closely.Only they get the eyecolor right with Chaney's baby blues. Sideshow's Mike Hill Wolfman piece is my favorite mass produced Wolfman collectible. Its also the only time that Sideshow got Wolfman right. Except he couldve been just a little ....fatter. Enjoy. :1-1:

So has anyone attempted dying the 1:6 monster figures clothes black? Just wondering, seems like an easy fix.

I considered doing that, and still might get around to it.

In the meantime I use the black jacket from SS Fritz (when I think of Fritz from the movie, I mainly remember him with out the jacket), w/the sleeves shorten and a pair of old G.I.Joe black pants to give my Franky that downtown Manhattan look.

I'll try to take a pic and post it.
The cut of jacket and pants isn't perfect, but looks OK.

-Ray

Back