Collector Product Reviews!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've left a couple reviews one for Sauron and one for Galadriel. I think as long as the are honest they should go up but I'm glad they are keeping the trollish ones off.

Michael's right. If you are asking people to honestly review their figures, then post what they've reviewed. If you don't want honesty then:
- pick the good comments from emails as was stated earlier
- write the reviews yourself as no one will praise your work as much as you ['cept maybe Dave :angelsmil ]
- do away with the feature

No one likes to be bashed, we'll all agree to that, but if you are going to only post glowing reviews, then what photos are you using? Will they be doctored to make the figure match the review? Or will some figures be obvious in their absence because a glowing review cannot be done. Let's be honest, you truly raised the mark when it comes to licensed figures but there are a few figures that would have to be, plain and simple, lied about to get a review that it sounds like you'd post it. You might do better to hire one of the loyal lapdogs that follow blindly, then insult someone who gave you his honest opinion.
And if your system for reviews allows a rating from 1-5 stars but you're knocking a 3 out, does that mean a customer who goes to your site will only be allowed to see that your figures rate 4-5 stars consistently across the board? Thats really more deceiving for the customer isn't it?

Last edited:
Didn't mean to imply anything negative...

Michael Crawford stated that he doesn't always give glowing rave reviews,and reminded me of the fact that some collectors buy every character in a collection. Another poster stated dissatisfaction with Willow, and her **ahem** unusual cranial proportions( trying to be kind..I know her head is huuuuuge and marshmallowy). I forgot that some people are completeists. :angelsmil All I was trying to understand is what motivations some might have for, you know, generally trashing a product. It seemed suspicious to me if someone, say, wrote a review that said "Sideshow sucks and they charge too much", or something like that. An honest review from fans was not at all what I was talking about. So please don't misunderstand me. Case in point: I was a little disappointed with the Frank Black Millennium/X-Files figure cranial proportions. But He didn't turn out nearly as bad as Willow. I was, as a whole, generally pleased with Frank though. I think its a good likeness, and I find it thrilling that this particular figure was made at all. I can understand being disappointed though if a favorite character is depicted not so much "poorly" but in a way that makes us feel that there could have been "more". For instance, I am a huge fan of Sideshow's Universal lines. I love em as a whole and would give them 4 stars. But I was disappointed with all their Wolfman offerings until the 1/4 scale. The 1/4 scale is the best Wolfman likeness and figure I own. And I own a lot of Wolfman pieces. I always felt the 8" was not a very good likeness and the pose was static. I thought the 1/6 figure was too skinny. But I wouldn't have bashed them. I am just leery of a review that would totally decimate a company's efforts. The internet has a bad name for this. Anyone remember the Comic Guy from the Simpsons? For the record, Michael, your reviews are what has prompted me to buy a lot of itmes I otherwise would have passed on. So, I don't view them as anything but honest and insightful. I wouldn't have any of Sideshow's POTA line if not for your reviews. Although I gotta say, I would've bought the Frank Black figure even if you hated it. I love Millennium. It was waaaay ahead of its time and Lance Henriksen is awesome. So I hope I didn't make anyone want to get a mob together with torches, as I have no windmills to run into. I wasn't referring to Sideshow FANS at all. Only , well you know what I mean... :naughty

Well it's not my place to pass judgement on anyone. But your on crack if you think I would let ANYONE tell me how to run my business, ecspecially if the suggestion would potentially cost me sales.

Look at anyone trying to sell anything, like car Companies- Do they point out all the parts of articles that are unflattering or have them lacking over the competition? No They choose the one or two areas that they are the best at and use them to push the car.

You guys act like this is some huge deal that Sideshow is using the positive feedback to push their products. Who the hell in their right mind would print and or publish negative or medeocre reviews or comments about their product. They have no responsibility to be "fair and just" they are not the press they are running a business and need to make money to provide paychecks for the staff that we love so much and to continue to make the product that we can't live without.

Message boards seem to put people on a high horse in some sort of alternate reality. "Sideshow should post the good with the bad" Come on get real!!

Jesse

Or In Movie Reviews....

Has anyone ever seen a Movie review where they say "a stylish, suspenseful thriller"--NY Times. Sometimes when you read the actual article in question instead of just the blurb, there is a whole article talking about all the points they didn't like about the film as well. None of those are ever quoted to help sell the film though. I have yet to see a blurb that reads "mild potboiler with little to show in the way of acting, but overall a stylish, suspenseful thriller". Only the Reader's digest version of the review. The complementary part. That's honest reviewing and Sideshow should probably let folks who have a legitimate pros/cons review review stand. I think they are totally correct in removing uncomplimentary rhetoric that may be used by those who are only interested in tarnishing the rep. of the company. They would be fools not to police this idea somewhat.

Jesseawilson said:
Look at anyone trying to sell anything, like car Companies- Do they point out all the parts of articles that are unflattering or have them lacking over the competition? No They choose the one or two areas that they are the best at and use them to push the car.

Jesse

Well, you are right. Car companies do not post the negative parts of articles. They pick and choose from other sources of reviews on their vehicles and pick what they want to use. They don't ask customers to write reviews for them. As for choosing the one or two areas where they are best, maybe Sideshow can try that next.
Sideshow: We cost a little more from the factory but....we have a lot of licenses
I think what most people are saying is don't ask for something if you don't want to hear it. If you want to put up "reviews" of your product, read thru all the emails you've gotten and take your time to pick the most flattering parts that make the product look its best.
There is no one way everyone will agree on just like everyone can't agree on which figure came out worse; Willow or Frank Black? Personally, I was pleasantly surprised by Willow and thought her a little "plain" but much better than I had seen her reviewed. Frank Black, which is also one of my favorite actors could not have been more disappointing [unless he was an astronaut in Beneath]. The jacket hemming was messy and that head was a friggin' melon. There was almost no detail left in the face and his head seemed to rival the Twilight Zone's Kanamit.

I think what most people are saying is don't ask for something if you don't want to hear it.

I hear what your saying, but people should realize that they may throughly want this type of critical feedback to help improve the future of their product. I am sure they read ever review and give weight to each one. But taking that feedback and implementing it internaly and taking that feedback and posting it on the page where they are trying to run a profitable business are two seperate things.

They are listening, and they are trying to improve, and they are trying to run a successful business.

Jesse

Jesseawilson said:
...But taking that feedback and implementing it internaly and taking that feedback and posting it on the page where they are trying to run a profitable business are two seperate things.
They are listening, and they are trying to improve, and they are trying to run a successful business....

My thoughts exactly :rock

Slight hijack of the thread

Anton Phibes said:
For instance, I am a huge fan of Sideshow's Universal lines. I love em as a whole and would give them 4 stars. But I was disappointed with all their Wolfman offerings until the 1/4 scale. The 1/4 scale is the best Wolfman likeness and figure I own. And I own a lot of Wolfman pieces. I always felt the 8" was not a very good likeness and the pose was static. I thought the 1/6 figure was too skinny. But I wouldn't have bashed them.
It's a bit off the direction this thread is headed, but I had to say Phibes nailed my exact impressions of each figure in the Wolfman line as it has progressed; in fact, the 1:6 was the figure that made me say to myself, I really don't have to own every figure.

But when I saw it on the desk of an executive I know (!) I sure didn't tell him I thought he'd made a bad purchase. My friend didn't think the 1:6 Wolfman was too skinny...he just thought it looked great on his desktop. He also had the 1:6 Phantom on the bookshelf behind his desk.

Can't wait until he sees my PF Wolfman...my sold-out PF Wolfman... :naughty

Jesseawilson said:
Well it's not my place to pass judgement on anyone. But your on crack if you think I would let ANYONE tell me how to run my business, ecspecially if the suggestion would potentially cost me sales.

Interesting concept - you don't actually listen to customers telling you how to run your business? Obviously, bad ideas are bad ideas, and there are many things going on behind the scenes at an organization than customers realize. But to ignore them, particularly on issues of reputation and brand loyalty, is the ultimate in stupidity.

Jesseawilson said:

I wouldn't expect them to. But then they aren't soliciting product reviews directly to them for their website, are they? Using examples which are not the same isn't particularly effective.

Jesseawilson said:
You guys act like this is some huge deal that Sideshow is using the positive feedback to push their products. Who the hell in their right mind would print and or publish negative or medeocre reviews or comments about their product.

Nobody. And clearly you're completely missing the point. This isn't about them publishing the negative reviews - it's about them soliciting them and not publishing them. There's a huge difference. By asking for your opinion PUBLICLY, and then not sharing it unless it's a 4 or 5 (even though you give them the option to give lower marks), you invalidate their opinion, making it appear that you're uninterested in hearing it. The writer then spreads that around, making it appear as though Sideshow is only interested in hearing what's good, not what's bad. It hurts their rep, not with the people reading the reviews, but those writing them.

And for what? They already get all the feedback they could ever need off boards like this. They could do exactly what the car companies mentioned do - pull quotes from other reviews and sites to post with products, and get the same positive effect, without the negative downside.

Jesseawilson said:
}They have no responsibility to be "fair and just" they are not the press they are running a business and need to make money to provide paychecks for the staff that we love so much and to continue to make the product that we can't live without.

For companies to be successful, particularly now, they have to develop raving fans. Not just satisfied customers, since they could lose them in a heart beat, but raving customers that are so happy with their product that they'll live with the occasional wart, and will also become spokesmen for them. Building a reputation of beind fair and honest goes a long way toward that, and a company shouldn't do anything that might cast a shadow on that, especially not when there's other ways to get the same results with no downside.

Occasionally Sideshow sends me product to review. AAMOF, my Connor Macleod review should be up this week in the Ministry of Information. They know when they send me product that the will get an honest and fair review - which means it could be bad, theoritically. How do they avoid that? By sending me only the stuff they really believe in, stuff they know is excellent. Connor is a great figure, and they knew he'd get a good review. Did they send me a Willow or a Faith? No, and after picking them up myself, I wasn't surprised.

If I were Sideshow, I wouldn't publish the reviews that weren't glowing. Therefore, I wouldn't solicit for 'reviews'. If they don't want to grab quotes from external sources, then they should solicit for 'testemonials', and skip the ratings system. There's a huge difference between a 'review' and a 'testominial', and there's an implied postive in the second that's not in the first.

Michael
MWC

Jesseawilson said:
I hear what your saying, but people should realize that they may throughly want this type of critical feedback to help improve the future of their product.
That's what message boards are for.
If they are using this review for this purpose than they are way behind the curve.

As for the question of someone not buying something that they don't like, they don't always know.
Let's take a look at a possible review of Helm's Deep that might be submitted:

"Helm's Deep is a mostly disappointing installment of the Lord of the Rings Environment line. I purchased the product based on the photos posted on the site. When I received the piece, I found that the photos and the actual product didn't match up color wise. I don't care for this particular monochrome color scheme. Also the piece was a bit small. I feel that for an item of this size, the price should be at most 3/4 the current price. The sculpt is well done especially at this scale. 2/5 stars"

Now I don't personally agree with this review, but I can see that as one that would be submitted. As said above, the company should show all aspects, and let people make their own decisions. A mix of reviews are much better if they truly want reviews. If they want praise tesimonials, than ask for that. Perhaps this all boils down to a poor choice of words, but a very important one.

Interesting concept - you don't actually listen to customers telling you how to run your business? Obviously, bad ideas are bad ideas, and there are many things going on behind the scenes at an organization than customers realize. But to ignore them, particularly on issues of reputation and brand loyalty, is the ultimate in stupidity.

No I don't listen to anyone telling me to do anything. You guys aren't putting a suggestion in a suggestion box you guys are acting like you know how to run their business better then them.

I wouldn't expect them to. But then they aren't soliciting product reviews directly to them for their website, are they? Using examples which are not the same isn't particularly effective.

Come on, you know exactly what my point was. There are a billion different products for sale and you just don't see someone publishing the negative views of their products very often. And that's for a reason, it hurts sales.

Nobody. And clearly you're completely missing the point. This isn't about them publishing the negative reviews - it's about them soliciting them and not publishing them. There's a huge difference. By asking for your opinion PUBLICLY, and then not sharing it unless it's a 4 or 5 (even though you give them the option to give lower marks), you invalidate their opinion, making it appear that you're uninterested in hearing it. The writer then spreads that around, making it appear as though Sideshow is only interested in hearing what's good, not what's bad. It hurts their rep, not with the people reading the reviews, but those writing them.

I am not missing the point, I just don't see why you people should be all up in arms about the way Sideshow runs their company. If they chase away customers because they are upset that their negative review didn't get used thats their porogative.

And for what? They already get all the feedback they could ever need off boards like this. They could do exactly what the car companies mentioned do - pull quotes from other reviews and sites to post with products, and get the same positive effect, without the negative downside.

They don't get all the feedback they could ever need, they get feedback for the freaks like us that are so into these items we could find a flaw in anything and usually do. With a few of these boards (and members only totaling a few hundred on each) of like minded people (granted their opinion could differ) I wouldn't exactly say that they are getting reviews from all types of customers given they have tens of thousands of customers.

For companies to be successful, particularly now, they have to develop raving fans. Not just satisfied customers, since they could lose them in a heart beat, but raving customers that are so happy with their product that they'll live with the occasional wart, and will also become spokesmen for them. Building a reputation of beind fair and honest goes a long way toward that, and a company shouldn't do anything that might cast a shadow on that, especially not when there's other ways to get the same results with no downside.

And there goes "what a company should or shouldn't do". Now I understand saying that for the sake of a conversation, but some people take it about two steps to far. Like Sideshow is somewhow obligated to listen to us and change the way they do business. Alot of people here feel way to "entitled". If you don't agree with how the company does business then add another check to the list o things that you don't like about Sideshow and reevaluate your business with them.

Occasionally Sideshow sends me product to review. AAMOF, my Connor Macleod review should be up this week in the Ministry of Information. They know when they send me product that the will get an honest and fair review - which means it could be bad, theoritically. How do they avoid that? By sending me only the stuff they really believe in, stuff they know is excellent. Connor is a great figure, and they knew he'd get a good review. Did they send me a Willow or a Faith? No, and after picking them up myself, I wasn't surprised.

If I were Sideshow, I wouldn't publish the reviews that weren't glowing. Therefore, I wouldn't solicit for 'reviews'. If they don't want to grab quotes from external sources, then they should solicit for 'testemonials', and skip the ratings system. There's a huge difference between a 'review' and a 'testominial', and there's an implied postive in the second that's not in the first.

I agree with you 1000% but I draw the line at it being my opinion, where as other people feel they need to make sweeping changes and start petitions, email barages, or smear campaigns. Granted those are extreem and this hasn't happened on this issue but those are examples of things some crazed fans do when there is something that they don't agree with. Some people just don't have the ability to say "I don't agree with that and I am not going to do business with them anymore". And if they choose not to then obviously it wasn't that big of a deal to begin with.

One more time incase anyone missed my point; I couldn't care any less about these reviews, I don't read or submit them. If I like a product or don't like a product I will tell the people that I interact with that might be inclined to purchase about my opinion. If they cut and paste someones review to mean something completely different then I might get upset. I still however would not deem it my job to get them to change thier practices. Opinions are great and this is a great place to share them, but many people take these 15lbs of polystone or 12 inches of plastic a little to seriously. A hobby should not cause stress it should relieve it.

Jesse

Originally Posted by Jesseawilson
Come on, you know exactly what my point was. There are a billion different products for sale and you just don't see someone publishing the negative views of their products very often. And that's for a reason, it hurts sales.

Ok, but, how many of that billion asked for their customers to submit reviews rating their product from 1-5??

Ironman1188 said:
Ok, but, how many of that billion asked for their customers to submit reviews rating their product from 1-5??

That doesn't change the fact that it would be stupidity to use the negative ones however they get them.

One more time incase anyone missed my point; I couldn't care any less about these reviews, I don't read or submit them. If I like a product or don't like a product I will tell the people that I interact with that might be inclined to purchase about my opinion. If they cut and paste someones review to mean something completely different then I might get upset. I still however would not deem it my job to get them to change thier practices. Opinions are great and this is a great place to share them, but many people take these 15lbs of polystone or 12 inches of plastic a little to seriously. A hobby should not cause stress it should relieve it.

My point is not contradictory to your dissapointment about the reviews being "missused". I am saying it is their business they can do whatever the hell they want. Don't like it, don't participate in the reviewing. Don't like other peoples reviews being used the way they are doing so then don't read them. If you absolutly still have a problem with it stop doing business with Sideshow. If your still not satisified find enough money to buy the company and run it however you want.

Jesse

Jesseawilson said:
...One more time incase anyone missed my point; I couldn't care any less about these reviews, I don't read or submit them....

To whom it may concern and for what it's worth, neither do I.

Can anyone honestly tell me they're so dissappointed in Sideshow for not publishing bad reviews that they aren't going to buy future products because of it?

Well Jeessawilson and Fritz,
I guess we're not the only ones that miss points, but then again, you'll probably miss this one too. :rolleyes:

Ironman1188 said:
Well Jeessawilson and Fritz,
I guess we're not the only ones that miss points, but then again, you'll probably miss this one too. :rolleyes:

I don't think I missed your point at all. I just don't agree with it. :rolleyes:

Point of fact we are not missing your point, we just don't think your point warrants this attitude towards Sideshow. However some people are maybe not missing but ignoring our point and focus on arguing about the likes of wording and semantics.

Obviously we don't agree so lets just leave it at that. I really don't see anything constructive coming of this conversation anymore.

Jesse

Last edited:
Ironman1188 said:
Oh, so its just all of us who have missed the point when we didn't agree with you and Jesse. :google

No, we just have differing opinions. You don't have to agree with me. I never implied that or at least never meant to.

Back