Collecting philosophy?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punkzip

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Given that there are so many options now for the comic statue collector, I am wondering what "philosophy" people are using for collecting. In my case:

1) I only buy statues, not busts.

2) I will buy from any company - mainly Bowen and Sideshow.

3) I will make an additional effort to buy statues which I think will appreciate. Although I don't collect at all to make money, appreciation never hurts. I will also make an effort to buy anything I think is a deal on eBay.

4) I try to think of display themes - i.e., one character, the Avengers, etc.

Even with this philosophy, the hobby is too expensive.

1) I buy what I like, whether it be 1:6, PF, 1:1, Dio or statue.

2) I buy mainly from Sideshow, but if I like something another company makes, I'll get it.

3) I buy to collect, not to make a profit; I never buy a statue with the hopes that it will increase in value. I get things because I think they are cool and want them in my collection.

4) When I eventually have enough space, I will display by format. 12" together, PF's together, Busts together and in some rare cases I will mix them together.

i buy too much stuff. i like a lot of different lines so this is my problem. i'll stop when i'm out of room and out of money. i'm ADDICTED!!! :lol

1) Quit if you can.

2) IF you can't quit, stick to a limited goal.

3) If you are ever unhappy with where you are or where you are heading with collecting, then sell it all. I doubt you will regret it and you will probably only buy back a few of your old pieces later.

4) Try to avoid getting in debt. This hobby is fickle, your debt will be around for a much longer time.

5) Have fun! :rock

1) I buy what I like, I'm not a completist and will not buy something for the sake of "completing the line".

2) My main collectible is 1/6 figures, but I also get busts, statues, dios, etc. of what I like.

3) If I like a figure enough, I will buy multiples...one to keep loose and on-display, the other MIB, unopened in its box.

4) I usually hold onto stuff for a while, but if I start to care less for it or it has no real appreciation to me anymore, I will get rid of it.

5) Hot Toys :rock

For me its...

#1 - Do I like it.
#2 - Can I afford it.
#3 - Do I have a place for it.

I will say that sometimes future value will at least creap into my mind but seeing as how 99% of the stuff I have bought over the last 20 years hasn't skyrocketed in value it doesn't really factor in much anymore.

I'm like Madden, do I like it, can I afford it, and do I have somewhere for it. Except the last two I have a little tendency to wiggle around with rearranging spending and my collection to make room. Another thing I factor in sometimes is what other people will think. I'll never buy something solely on whether others will think it is cool, nor will I not buy it because others dislike it. But if I am on the fence and its something that I know will wow people when they see my collection then it increases the odds I will buy it.

1- is it Hulk related .

2- will I look like a geek when people come at my house

3- will other geek be jealous

:cool:

Do I like the character?

Do I like the pose?

Can I sleep with it at night ?

1. has to be 1/6 or at least close

2. I don't do anything Lord of the Rings (personal preference)

3. I don't care who made it as it looks good and is well done

4. I don't do toys and If it looks like a toy, feels like a toy and displays like a toy, then it is a toy...Hasbro comes to mind

5. won't make me bankrupt

6. there is space for it

1. Will my girlfriend approve?

2. If answer to 1 is no, then will she understand?

3. If answer to 1 and 2 are both no, then where can I display so that she won't see it for the greatest length of time?

1. Will my girlfriend approve?

2. If answer to 1 is no, then will she understand?

3. If answer to 1 and 2 are both no, then where can I display so that she won't see it for the greatest length of time?

Is that the crack of a whip I just heard from across the country?:monkey3:rotfl

Back