Cleaning: A Major Dust Storm

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bafana

Freakalicious
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Long story short, I'm renovating.

The room I have my polystone statues in was sealed by plastic however a touch of bad luck and a gust of wind later and my room was filled with dust. I had someone grinding tile glue down to the base at the time so it couldn't have been worse timing.

My question.

Any tips on cleaning? Ive been using a makeup brush but when I thought it was working I ran my finger over it only to remove more dust.

Some help please! :pray:

I've heard of people using soft painters brush but I've always favored swiffer dusters. They pick up dust quickly and doesn't damage the paint job on the statues because its super soft and uses static to pick up the dust. Hope that helps.

Happen to me too for a few years back, I just took my airbrush without paint off course and the vacuumcleaner on the other side, took some time but the statues and models never been so clean before, and a good brush helped alot.

This may sound odd but if it is really bad and they are full polystone not mixed media , give them a shower , obviously take them off the base first.

Thanks all, might try and get my hands on an air brush and a swiffer duster. Gimlis rock base is a nightmare to clean out lol...

Also, not sure I have the ***** to try water.

This may sound odd but if it is really bad and they are full polystone not mixed media , give them a shower , obviously take them off the base first.

Hah yeah I've gotten some statues or mini busts that were so dusty the first place they went to was the kitchen sink for a shower. Not mixed media of course, just resin or polystone. On a warm day so they dry fast too lol.

Hah yeah I've gotten some statues or mini busts that were so dusty the first place they went to was the kitchen sink for a shower. Not mixed media of course, just resin or polystone. On a warm day so they dry fast too lol.

Yep :goodpost: don't try and hand dry them , just shake the water off and let them dry come out like new.
You can even put them in the shower on the soft water setting and use a soft wet paint brush to get in all the nooks and crannies.
Obviously don't try this if the statue has lights or is mixed media.

Wow, great tip! Contemplating on trying this with my Sideshow Donatello. Lot's of hard to reach places when dusting. His musculature and pose makes him awesome, but also hard to clean.

actually I had the Boba fett mini bust once from brains toys and they said it was brand new.

It came with a layer of dust so bad I had to shower it... and it was mixed media due to the braids I think.

It looked fine after but I may have ended up returning it on principal, I can't remember that far back and I've had bought/sold some of those busts more than once :peace

I'd say just watch out for the water pressure.

Back