Premium Format Christopher Reeve Superman the Movie Premium Format Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of issues with mine here too! Exclusive 415/500. Missing paint application to hair, dirty scuffs to yellow belt, pull in material to belt loop, dents in costume due to poor packaging. Could go on if I was really picky! Hugely dissappointed...

This piece looks exactly like the prototype, though i always disliked the design and pose, I think sideshow nailed it. I saw an unboxing of this piece and the main body had no type of wrapping it was just stuffed in the styrofoam like a toy, i'm guessing that was just a one off though.

Mine didn't have wrapping for the body. Just the dam parts not the water ones had wrapping.

Interesting that in the roast Video I didn't think he looked too bad. The sculpt and costume looked far better than some of the pics we've seen.

The base is a bit of a mess, most of us expected a heavy wooden weighted base but that plastic base looks light and a little cheap tbh.

If this was on a good discount with double rewards I'd consider this and replacing the base for a custom painted wooden chesspiece....it would have to be a good discount tho (50% off).

Interesting that in the roast Video I didn't think he looked too bad. The sculpt and costume looked far better than some of the pics we've seen.

The base is a bit of a mess, most of us expected a heavy wooden weighted base but that plastic base looks light and a little cheap tbh.

If this was on a good discount with double rewards I'd consider this and replacing the base for a custom painted wooden chesspiece....it would have to be a good discount tho (50% off).

LOL! I also thought it looked better then usual... I thought the head sculpt when he first showed it and was talking about it looked good... Later in the video I thought it had some of the same issues I thought It had before..

I really do think people are going a little overboard with the hate for this piece. Aside from the black base needing to be heavier for better support, and the frayed cape bottom, it really is pretty cool. The head sculpt has grown on me and I think it's actually a pretty solid likeness overall. The body is in fact polystone and feels solid, and the head and hands are actually painted pretty close to hot toys or enterbay quality (could use eyelash paint and more detailed eyebrows to bring out the likeness more) and the proportions look right in person.

I really do think people are going a little overboard with the hate for this piece. Aside from the black base needing to be heavier for better support, and the frayed cape bottom, it really is pretty cool. The head sculpt has grown on me and I think it's actually a pretty solid likeness overall. The body is in fact polystone and feels solid, and the head and hands are actually painted pretty close to hot toys or enterbay quality (could use eyelash paint and more detailed eyebrows to bring out the likeness more) and the proportions look right in person.

For me it begins and ends with the choice of pose... I could have accepted the head sculpt and taken a chance on seeing it in person... But that pose just does not do it for me.. Yes from up high at a distance it looks good but any other angle it just looks awkward.. The other issues (base, cape) are just icing on the cake.

mattman your pics really showed off the positives in this piece. Nice photos man.

Thanks marker. Appreciate it!

For me it begins and ends with the choice of pose... I could have accepted the head sculpt and taken a chance on seeing it in person... But that pose just does not do it for me.. Yes from up high at a distance it looks good but any other angle it just looks awkward.. The other issues (base, cape) are just icing on the cake.

Fair enough. I personally like the pose, but I can see how it isn't for everyone.

I got the email from SSC they will not pay for the return shipping of this error of a statue. I figure as much.

Sent from my iPhone 6 plus

I got the email from SSC they will not pay for the return shipping of this error of a statue. I figure as much.

Well I guess if the body is Polystone then they did not mislead... Except the base is not polystone... So that could be a point on contention.

So.....if you thought it looked so bad....then why did you buy it? I think it looks great! Could it have been better? Of course. Every piece I've received I've felt could have been better to some degree. I think this looks like the prototype. So its confusing to me why anybody would buy it if they thought the prototype looked so bad. I understand this piece isnt for everyone. Anytime anybody does a representation of an actual person there is going to be tons of hate. I bought this because I thought the prototype looked pretty good. I feel the end product represents that well.

So.....if you thought it looked so bad....then why did you buy it? I think it looks great! Could it have been better? Of course. Every piece I've received I've felt could have been better to some degree. I think this looks like the prototype. So its confusing to me why anybody would buy it if they thought the prototype looked so bad. I understand this piece isnt for everyone. Anytime anybody does a representation of an actual person there is going to be tons of hate. I bought this because I thought the prototype looked pretty good. I feel the end product represents that well.

Thedorkknight74, not sure if you were asking me this question but if you are here is my response:
It's really not relevant what my opinion was or why I bought this figure in the first place, what is relevant is I got It "I"opened it and did not like what "I" saw in hand and I'm returning it asap...period. As for other collectors that are received this and like it congrats.

Thedorkknight74, not sure if you were asking me this question but if you are here is my response:
It's really not relevant what my opinion was or why I bought this figure in the first place, what is relevant is I got It "I"opened it and did not like what "I" saw in hand and I'm returning it asap...period. As for other collectors that are received this and like it congrats.

It was directed at you. I think his only point was that it didn't vary much from conception to inhand. I think his question revolved around whether what you saw initially conceptually changed from when you received him. With all do respect I didn't order this simply because it did not fit with my perception of Reeve pose and portrait as did my same perception of Keaton Bats and I didn't PO him either. I just didn't even bother because I knew nothing would change with either piece sadly.

BTW- Not trying to start an argument. Just discussion as fellow collectors. No disrespect.

It was directed at you. I think his only point was that it didn't vary much from conception to inhand. I think his question revolved around whether what you saw initially conceptually changed from when you received him. With all do respect I didn't order this simply because it did not fit with my perception of Reeve pose and portrait as did my same perception of Keaton Bats and I didn't PO him either. I just didn't even bother because I knew nothing would change with either piece sadly.

BTW- Not trying to start an argument. Just discussion as fellow collectors. No disrespect.

King B. I understand. You are right the figure did not change from the initial reveal and I preordered him still because I was okay with it the way it looked-although I was hoping that improvements would have been made with the many delays and fan feedback along with the Man of Steel being so bad, which used the same materials. So yes I was expecting essentially what I saw and thus kept my order. Now, what I didn't expect was a cheap base that sways when touched, the wall diorama to have been so cheap and plastic where it too feels like it could crumble in your hands, the same plastic seams on the hands and neck/head similar to the Man of Steel, a cape that looked like it was stitched using someone's rear end-along with it being too short. Unfortunately, it appears that it is not an isolated flaw but a universal one;that's just how the figure was made with a few having more or less flaws in the suit. And with so many collectibles out there that are truly pieces of art made with care and attention to detail, I just cannot bring myself to wasting money on this cheap representation of my Superman from my childhood, especially at the 425.00 price tag. If wanted a Neca like product I would also want to pay Neca prices not Sideshow prices.

Thank you for your comment King B.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

King B. I understand. You are right the figure did not change from the initial reveal and I preordered him still because I was okay with it the way it looked-although I was hoping that improvements would have been made with the many delays and fan feedback along with the Man of Steel being so bad, which used the same materials. So yes I was expecting essentially what I saw and thus kept my order. Now, what I didn't expect was a cheap base that sways when touched, the wall diorama to have been so cheap and plastic where it too feels like it could crumble in your hands, the same plastic seams on the hands and neck/head similar to the Man of Steel, a cape that looked like it was stitched using someone's rear end-along with it being too short. Unfortunately, it appears that it is not an isolated flaw but a universal one;that's just how the figure was made with a few having more or less flaws in the suit. And with so many collectibles out there that are truly pieces of art made with care and attention to detail, I just cannot bring myself to wasting money on this cheap representation of my Superman from my childhood, especially at the 425.00 price tag. If wanted a Neca like product I would also want to pay Neca prices not Sideshow prices.

Thank you for your comment King B.

Yeah man, I totally get it. You spend that kinda dough, you want to feel like own something special. The only logical explanation I can surmise is that there are too many indians and not enough chiefs to overwatch what going on sometimes at SS especially at the factory. Hell I'm prob way off. Who knows what judgment calls were made or not made.

Back