Chris Howes' Sculptural Creations

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like others have said, to the people communicating with Chris I appreciate your efforts to keep us informed but it isn't your job. I would say to anyone wanting to take on this work, and you are a professional, that it is your job and your job alone to communicate with your customers. If you need an assistant, get one. If you want to bypass the nasty forum, use e-mail. You have all the contact information for each person involved in a certain commission. Send out a mass e-mail to that group if that is what you prefer. If a customer gets hateful, offer a refund and part ways if you have to. Make life easier on yourself. If a customer asks for a refund, talk to them. See if there's a way to make both sides happy. Don't ignore them. Again, for me, the wait isn't an issue. Not yet anyway. No communication and lack of movement on what seems like a 90% finished product is what's killing me, and it's hurting Chris' reputation.

Never said that some people didn't have the right to be upset. What I take issue with is authorities/lawsuit threats, harassment, name-calling, and gleeful piling-on from people who have nothing to do with any of the Howes commissions. Can't I express the opinion that people are taking things too far?
I actually said the exact same things. Harassment, posting of real names and addresses, contacting family members. Those are all out of bounds -- at least at this point in the game. On that point we agree.

But to me it seemed that you weren't just talking about the handful of people who were taking it too far. You seemed to be saying that all of the people who were upset were being unreasonable. Your attitude was dismissive and arrogant, and that rubbed people the wrong way. It's not unreasonable to expect some sort of updates once in a while, or that Chris make some sort of effort to actually give us what we paid for.

I'm a freelancer too. As a translator I'm not an artist in the same sense as Chris, but what I do is actually somewhat similar in other ways. I have a number of different clients, and have to deal with deadlines all the time. Sometimes it's hard. But I do it. That's what makes me a professional. Occasionally I need more time because a job was more involved than I expected, or maybe I had a family crisis. When that happens, I tell my clients immediately and get the job done as soon as humanly possible. If I left my clients hanging without delivering anything and without providing any updates I would soon not have any clients.

Now I can understand the idea that Chris is giving us a discount in exchange for a more relaxed schedule, but that doesn't absolve him from giving updates, from communicating with his clients, or from delivering the goods in a reasonable amount of time. I'd like to see Chris set a timetable for all of the commissions, and then actually stick to it. It doesn't have to be absolute, but it would at least give us something to work off of. As it is, we're completely in the dark.

Or if he decides that this experiment making 1/6 scale heads for enthusiasts didn't work out as he planned, just refund our money. Either way, do something.

Last edited:
ll he just gave me a tracking number via ebay messaging...

for the ones who dont know he claims that he cant respond through normal emails.

LC570124646US .... according to him its suppose to register by tomorrow evening.

Memory lane, CH first post.

Hello All!

Thought I'd prepare a thread to showcase my menagerie of custom projects.

LINKS TO COMMISSIONS:

Summer Glau/Cameron Terminator:SCC custom head interest

Maximus Gladiator Armor and Battle Cry Head

Lord Vicious commissioned Maximus shoulder piece

Doctor Who sculpts

Doctor Who K-9 commission

Milla Jovovich head commission

Ghostbusters- First page where I take over as sculptor

Jason Lee/Earl and Ethan Supree/Randy My Name is Earl

The Lone Gunmen, Skinner and M&S X-files Headsculpts set

LOST- Sawyer Commission

Dark Knight Headsculpts from C. Howes- Alfred, Dent, Gordon, Fox

2 Dark Knight Jokers and Bruce Wayne

Lt. Gorman from Aliens

Hugh Laurie, House by Howes :D

Keifer Sutherland "David" from Lost Boys -Vamp version

KIRK! SPOCK! McCOY!

Jack Nicholson from "The Shining"

Movie FX Great, Stan Winston

Booth and Bones

Sawyer from "Lost"

Before you declare me a mad man ( that point is debatable ), be aware these are spread over time.... Some are done, some underway, some will be coming in the next round. Some haven't even made minimum number of committed people yet. Sheesh! You think I'm Super Sculptor or something!?!

To calm the fears of the few folks who have expressed doubts.... Keep in mind that this is what I do for a living.

Come this April I will have been doing this for 20 years. 20 years. I can hardly believe it myself. I'm not an accountant or grocer or mechanic ( all honorable professions!) who comes home at night to dabble at sculpting. I've been doing this all day, every day, often for 12 hours or more, for my entire adult life. You have seen my work without knowing it..... it's EVERYWHERE. In the words of Peter Venkman, "Back off, man, I'm a professional!" :D:D:D

I can spend my time working for big impersonal cynical companies that only worry about the bottom line rather than quality and content, or I can spend it working for you, the people who actually have passion for all of this!! It's a no brainer. I'm very grateful for and surprised about the wonderful reception I've had in the custom world. Thank you, it's really quite touching. I pledge to do my utmost to bring you the best quality work I possibly can. I want to make your ultimate figures reality!

So, visit those projects you are interested in and sign up! And let me know if there is that certain figure you just can't live without....

Here's a photo of one of my more popular heads..... "Licky Joker".

Thanks to Kuato for the amazing paint app!

licky-new.jpg

Check back soon for more!

What color is the sky in Chris’s world? Just wondering.

Well Howes got away with a ton of cash, I thought I would try it and see if it works. :D

That should be “Back off man, I'm a scientist”

That should have told everyone what they needed to know right off the bat.
Wow, that's the Nth dig at Chris from you. Why the extra beef? Perhaps you were also "cheated" out of your money like the others?

Don't take this the wrong way but I find it strange that a fellow artist would be slamming Chris at this point. If anything, shouldn't one be sympathizing with his plight?

Again, nothing personal - just befuddled.

Don't take this the wrong way but I find it strange that a fellow artist would be slamming Chris at this point. If anything, shouldn't one be sympathizing with his plight?

Again, nothing personal - just befuddled.

I'll be glad to answer this for him... I'm an artist too. (though I'm not really comfortable calling myself that, it sounds too formal, but I do have a degree...) I am gearing up to make some 1:6 items to offer, and I have no sympathy for Chris whatsoever. He dug his own hole, and dug it hard. I have a lot more sympathy for my many friends here that can't get an answer from him, just runaround, and feel as though their money may be lost. He's not just dug a hole, he's continuing to dig a hole, and not bothering to stop and reverse. I would be very sympathetic to Chris if he would man up, be truthful, face people as equals, and make things right rather than just ignore people like he has some special right to. Just because he is an artist doesn't make him some kind of brother. Besides that, I currently don't see him as an artist, but a shyster first and foremost. I would be glad to see him as a functioning participant in these forums, though- it would raise many of our opinions of him quite a bit. I still think he could totally repair his reputation if he would just step up. I have no problem with giving second chances to people that are forthright, but he seems devoted to his "cloak and dagger" way of doing it.

On top of that, I'm a lot more impressed with humble, down-to-earth, accessible creative people instead of haughty, elitist, self-important ones.

Last edited:
Whether you believe it or not, I honestly see where you guys are coming from. But I suppose it's futile to suggest a little more flexibility and tact in posting seeing how many of the people here have already set their feet down on the matter. The Chris-slamming doesn't really accomplish anything IMHO.

On top of that, I'm a lot more impressed with humble, down-to-earth, accessible creative people instead of haughty, elitist, self-important ones.
I don't think Chris is playing the "self-important" role. I've emailed him a few times and he has given replies to all of them. I can't say the same for some of the other artists who are frequently here.

Whether you believe it or not, I honestly see where you guys are coming from. But I suppose it's futile to suggest a little more flexibility and tact in posting seeing how many of the people here have already set their feet down on the matter. The Chris-slamming doesn't really accomplish anything IMHO.

Most of what you quoted Spencer on was from a few pages back. It does feel like it has calmed down a tad to me.
Another reason I think the creative types aren't rallying for Chris but are pissed at him is because it looks like his behavior may end up affecting their sales as confidence is damaged by him.

I don't think Chris is playing the "self-important" role. I've emailed him a few times and he has given replies to all of them. I can't say the same for some of the other artists who are frequently here.

You're one of the lucky ones. My guess is you aren't asking him the tough questions, he seems to talk more to those who only gently nudge him and don't ask for refunds or mention his ebay nonsense. He has absolutely behaved in a self-important manner in the couple of postings he has made since this all hit the fan. He's blamed everyone but himself.
I have no interest in making fun of him, either, I just want him to be more responsible to his commissioners, and quit sticking his head in the sand like an ostrich. I just replied because I do see where Spencer is coming from, this whole situation does make it unfairly harder on the responsible customizers like him. They will all be under more scrutiny from now on because Chris allowed it all to spin out of control. Some folks post the jokes, etc as I said before because it lightens the mood and keeps people from getting too depressed about all this.

docike.jpg

Another reason I think the creative types aren't rallying for Chris but are pissed at him is because it looks like his behavior may end up affecting their sales as confidence is damaged by him.
That may well be a very valid concern. But does it warrant all the slamming? An artist who (based on what you said) is concerned over the repercussions of Chris' behavior is justified in slamming him here on his own thread? Slamming not once but several times? Seems ungentlemanly and a little "hard-sell" to me.

You're one of the lucky ones. My guess is you aren't asking him the tough questions, he seems to talk more to those who only gently nudge him and don't ask for refunds or mention his ebay nonsense.
I asked him what most people here have asked - when can we see updates. If you mean by "tough questions" I should ask him like a tough guy, then you're right, I didn't ask him "tough questions".

I just replied because I do see where Spencer is coming from, this whole situation does make it unfairly harder on the responsible customizers like him.
I agree - it will probably be harder for some of them because of all this. But IMO, an artist berating another artist on the latter's thread is in bad taste. You probably wouldn't be too thrilled if one of your fellow artists slammed you on a thread that belonged to you, right?

I asked him what most people here have asked - when can we see updates. If you mean by "tough questions" I should ask him like a tough guy, then you're right, I didn't ask him "tough questions".

Asking for "updates" is what I did about 4 months ago and saw a finished product. At this point I don't really need an "update" unless that "update" includes a tracking number. Its a bit of a softball question, but I can understand that it keeps you in contact. Maybe you'll get it faster. IDK.

Last edited:
ll he just gave me a tracking number via ebay messaging...

for the ones who dont know he claims that he cant respond through normal emails.

LC570124646US .... according to him its suppose to register by tomorrow evening.

Thats interesting because, Husker, Costumeball and Vader have all said they've been in semi regular email contact with him.

so now he can't respond through normal e-mails? this just keeps getting worse and worse. first it's email him with "hello" in the title and now it's I can't respond to e-mails :lol wow.

That may well be a very valid concern. But does it warrant all the slamming? An artist who (based on what you said) is concerned over the repercussions of Chris' behavior is justified in slamming him here on his own thread? Slamming not once but several times? Seems ungentlemanly and a little "hard-sell" to me.

I agree - it will probably be harder for some of them because of all this. But IMO, an artist berating another artist on the latter's thread is in bad taste. You probably wouldn't be too thrilled if one of your fellow artists slammed you on a thread that belonged to you, right?

Spenser is not the only one, and why would we not badmouth him? He has got $11.000 from this Board and shows no intention on giving anyone any updates at all or send out any heads or even give a simple explanation why things are taking so long without blaming others and getting some Russians involved!

www.hotmail.com

1 minute and you have a mail addy! What the ^^^^ is so hard about that? 2 minutes and he could explain when and how in this thread where there is enough traffic so the whole board will know what is going on in a few minutes time! But instead we get nothing for months on end, just the occasional BS story 4 or 5 months apart.

Of course you are free to express that. And as I said earlier I find some of the joking around to be distracting and in bad taste (although some of it is a totally understandable reaction to an uncomfortable situation).

But your first post in this thread was 5 days ago, so like costumeball I can't help but think that you're not understanding the full situation. I'm a pretty laid back and reasonable person under normal circumstances, but these are NOT normal circumstances. If I was an artist trying to sell sculpts on this board, I would be doing my best to differentiate myself from Howes, and I think that's what we're seeing.

Would be nice if members would quit fighting w/one another. It honestly seems everyone posting wants the same resolution, but pissing matches won't make that happen any sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back