Cheapest way to display collection nicely?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justcrash

Super Freak
Reaction score
Ugh, frustrated right now. I have some nice stuff but I don't want to put it out until I can protect it from dust. Spent last Sunday cleaning a ton of figures that were covered with dust prior to my divorce.

I just opened up a teeny tiny 2 step case that was "snap together." It's just like the one I use to display my HT Captain America. "Frustrating" doesn't even begin to cover that tiny thing. I finally just tossed it back in the box because I knew, even if I got it to stay together, the next time I go to add/remove/change a figure in it, I'd have to go through it all again.

My figures are all different sizes. Some are taller (BAFs, 25th anniversary Optimus Prime), but the majority range from 3.75 to 7 inches.

Please, I am so frustrated right now. I don't want to go broke but I want to display them

Can anyone please give me some links I would need to make this look half-way decent. :(

detolf from ikea are the go to display shelves for most collectors here, they are pretty customizable with lights and you can adjust heights or add more shelves.
DETOLF Glass-door cabinet - IKEA

this is a collection thread reference from Machew : https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...te-ht-marty-mcfly-rahmier84-medicom-yoda.html

I would suggest looking through show your shelves! section for good references. wall shelves are also pretty good if you got the space I use three for displaying movies

Thank you for responding! Unfortunately, I don't have an ikea near me and the shipping when you buy it online is crazy. I have a Target, a Miejers, a Walmart and a value city furniture.

I was in the same boat as far as not having an ikea near me. Eventually I just want with it. Even with the crazy shipping prices it's hard to find a glass cabinet that's cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don't have an IKEA nearby check to see if you have local re-sellers. In Omaha there's a guy that has partnered with the local video game re-seller and they run down to the IKEA once a month, add ~$20 to the price of a Detolf. Look in your local craigslist and see if anyone near you is doing something similar.

Same boat as the rest of you. Closest ikea is around six hours away. The most obvious place to start for me were closing businesses, craigslist, and so on. A lot of the cabinets I found were in the fifty to one hundred dollar range and decent. Believe it or not I ended up finding an antique that was just a giveaway. Felt the inside, replaced some glass, and it turned out really nice.

Good luck bud, you'll find one.

Dust is something all collectors deal with and a Detolf won't solve the problem; even with low-heat LED lighting there's still circulation with the outside air and dust is drawn in. My collection is kept in a clean room, meaning the door is always closed, the windows are never opened, its a dog-free zone, and I use upgraded filters in my air handler. I also run a small air purifier and vacuum regularly. Even with these steps I deal with a small amount of dust, but overall it works pretty well. Sounds crazy right?!

Thank you for responding! Unfortunately, I don't have an ikea near me and the shipping when you buy it online is crazy. I have a Target, a Miejers, a Walmart and a value city furniture.

From Blacklick to West Chester north of Cincinati where the closest IKEA is, is a 2 hour drive. That's how far away it is for me. Just make the drive, it's worth the days trip.

I don't know if you'd be opposed to buying second hand but i picked this older ikea besta off a local buy and sell website similar to craigslist for $120. It was like new. When i need to save some cash i always look there first but only buy items that do not look "used". You may have to wait a month or so before the perfect one pops up but that's part of the thrill of the hunt.

Goodluck.
65e683657898342b43cf3770026bf580.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I don't know if you'd be opposed to buying second hand but i picked this older ikea besta off a local buy and sell website similar to craigslist for $120. It was like new. When i need to save some cash i always look there first but only buy items that do not look "used". You may have to wait a month or so before the perfect one pops up but that's part of the thrill of the hunt.

Goodluck.
65e683657898342b43cf3770026bf580.jpg

I thought those were Bestå, but I've never seen the four windowed door. What are those exactly?

I thought those were Bestå, but I've never seen the four windowed door. What are those exactly?
You know what i spent over a month trying to find out what the doors were when i first got the cabinet with no luck. After you asked i decided to give it another go and found something. I guess they're called Bergsbo doors. I'm not sure if they still make them or not.

Edit: Apparently the cabinet itself is called a Bergsbo and i believe it is now discontinued however you can still get Bergsbo door for the pax.

Thanks for doing the homework there. I've been looking for an hour or two. :lol Looks like the Bergsbo Pax doors don't come in clear windows anymore. This is really frustrating because I just got heavily into 1/6 with no display solution that works.

Back