1/6 Chances of Hot Toys Darth Maul?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/t_original/qi5ipe65mazlx0czga8h.gif

The production value that I see in this gif is simply phenomenal. Other than the chintzy looking troopers and that goofy guy wearing a parka on tatooine, I'm impressed!

What Star Wars fan film is this called? Asking for a friend.

RotS Obi-Wan and a TPM Maul I think are sure bets.

Jack hinted at Qui-Gon too.

Since Jack Bauer pretty much confirmed Darth Maul, the question is when. I know it's a long shot but it could possibly make sense for Hot Toys to cash in on Darth Maul being in the Star Wars Battlefront 2. *fingers crossed, not holding breath*

I am sure they will make Maul. I have no interest due to picking up the latest Sideshow version and I am very happy with it.

Padme Arena and Dooku are my only certain purchases with an outside chance for Mace, Qui Gon and Aayla Secura.

Nothing else would interest me at this price point.

???

Why have I never heard about this until now.

View attachment 367631

Why is the blue cantina alien from Star Wars in a clone trooper suit? Why does he look so angry? How does his head fit under the trooper helmet mask?

I think that's supposed to be Cad Bane, the bounty hunter from the Clone Wars CG cartoon. There was an arc where he was captured and escaped while in disguise as a clone. They were good episodes.

Yes that was Cad Bane disguised as Clone Trooper to escape from nearly destroyed seperatist battle ship in Clone Wars. Best bounty ever.

Btw i love this kind of topic like this, keep it coming guys :clap.

Since Jack Bauer pretty much confirmed Darth Maul, the question is when. I know it's a long shot but it could possibly make sense for Hot Toys to cash in on Darth Maul being in the Star Wars Battlefront 2. *fingers crossed, not holding breath*
I really hope so

Implying the Hot Toys Darth Maul won't also have a neutral expression and a crappy base.

It looks like I disagree with almost every single person on here.

I'd say those odds are not likely. Maybe within the next 8 years or so... but that's a maybe.

They have a ton of new trilogy and side figures to do and a lot of core and lesser core OT to do.

I'd say padme is the only other safe bet you will see. Maybe yoda.

I only say this because Howard chan has openly expresssed interest in doing anakin speicificically and also mentioned padme,

He's been trying to do anakin since the literal second Star Wars figure back after DX07... the prequels are not popular... but I'm sure they will still sell.

Me personally I love my mail but wish he had the robe. Anakin is coming and then I'd only want obi wan ep3, qui gon, padme ep2, amidalla ep1, mace, dooku, palpatine ep3.

But I'd really love all of them

I agree with you Raymond F. I think if HT does do Maul it will be a very long time as Sideshow just release a 2.0 figure. Look at how long it was before HT did Anakin! I'm sure there is also a time frame requirement agreement between SS and HT about how long before HT can make the same character SS has made. I'm guesstimating about 4 years minimum.

There is also no guarantee that if HT does eventually do Maul that it will have a nicer base. HT has been pulling some shenanigans lately in regards to bases, just reusing old bases or even worst bases with decals instead of sculpted details!

I think the only other PT figures we have a strong chance of seeing from HT is:

Padme
ROTS Obi Wan
Yoda - (too easy not to, reuse body and sculpt from ESB) Just add clean robe and light saber and done!

So all this being said. If you like the SS Maul and I personally think it looks pretty good then get it, you can spruce up the base. I'm heavily contemplating it myself. Only thing holding me back is that I'm moving in a month so I'll probably wait till the move is complete.

I agree with you Raymond F. I think if HT does do Maul it will be a very long time as Sideshow just release a 2.0 figure. Look at how long it was before HT did Anakin! I'm sure there is also a time frame requirement agreement between SS and HT about how long before HT can make the same character SS has made. I'm guesstimating about 4 years minimum.

There is also no guarantee that if HT does eventually do Maul that it will have a nicer base. HT has been pulling some shenanigans lately in regards to bases, just reusing old bases or even worst bases with decals instead of sculpted details!

I think the only other PT figures we have a strong chance of seeing from HT is:

Padme
ROTS Obi Wan
Yoda - (too easy not to, reuse body and sculpt from ESB) Just add clean robe and light saber and done!

So all this being said. If you like the SS Maul and I personally think it looks pretty good then get it, you can spruce up the base. I'm heavily contemplating it myself. Only thing holding me back is that I'm moving in a month so I'll probably wait till the move is complete.

I would not use the time difference between the Sideshow Anakin and the Hot Toys Anakin as a frame of reference when you consider that Sideshow made Anakin well before Hot Toys even had the Star Wars license. This may be equally unfair...but if we want to use the Anakins as a guide then let's look at the quality difference between the two and that should inspire anyone who currently has the Sideshow Maul to sell it now before Hot Toys teases a release of theirs...

Implying the Hot Toys Darth Maul won't also have a neutral expression and a crappy base.

It looks like I disagree with almost every single person on here.

I'd say those odds are not likely. Maybe within the next 8 years or so... but that's a maybe.

They have a ton of new trilogy and side figures to do and a lot of core and lesser core OT to do.

I'd say padme is the only other safe bet you will see. Maybe yoda.

I only say this because Howard chan has openly expresssed interest in doing anakin speicificically and also mentioned padme,

He's been trying to do anakin since the literal second Star Wars figure back after DX07... the prequels are not popular... but I'm sure they will still sell.

Me personally I love my mail but wish he had the robe. Anakin is coming and then I'd only want obi wan ep3, qui gon, padme ep2, amidalla ep1, mace, dooku, palpatine ep3.

But I'd really love all of them

Does Jack Bauer have some inside contacts or something? Just curious. I know some board members do as Cmiller99 told me a couple years ago a Wolf 2.0 was coming and I didn't believe him, yet boom here it is!

I hope so as well. And the fact that Jack already knows about these plans makes me think it's sooner rather than later. If they don't want to step on Sideshow's toes, they could just call it Tatooine Duel Darth Maul. That way he'll have his cloak and his droids (maybe even his bike! Fingers crossed).

This is the best news though. I would be all in for Maul, ROTS Kenobi, Sidious, Dooku, Mace, and Yoda. I can only imagine how good they'll look. If the releases were spaced out enough, Qui-Gon and Padme too. HT has a gold mine here if they can divert the eyes away from FO Troopers and Iron Men. I do hope they get to ROTJ Vader and Krennic too. I get there's only so much staff and resources though.

As far as Darth Maul being made, I would say 99.9%.

I still think hot toys should focus on OT. But I think we are going to get a lot of the last jedi figs.

I can only type for myself, but I'm not really enamoured with the design of this trilogy so far. As far as PT figures other than Maul, I would love a Qui Gon and Dooku, maybe episode 1 obi wan and that's about it.

I don't make enough money to really get into a line of hot toys PT figures.

Maul and Anakin will be my picks for the PT. Though HTs still got the 4 figures from ROTJ to make (Emperor, Royal Guards, Stormtrooper, Scouttrooper). Hope to see them all in 2018.

I would not use the time difference between the Sideshow Anakin and the Hot Toys Anakin as a frame of reference when you consider that Sideshow made Anakin well before Hot Toys even had the Star Wars license. This may be equally unfair...but if we want to use the Anakins as a guide then let's look at the quality difference between the two and that should inspire anyone who currently has the Sideshow Maul to sell it now before Hot Toys teases a release of theirs...

True, HT did not have the license at the time. However, with SS and HT being partners in a sense I am sure HT will wait a while if there is any plans to do a Maul and HT may be discouraged since SS has yet to sell out their version.

Point being for the original poster, that if you want a Maul and you like the Maul 2.0 by SS go ahead a pick it up (if you can find it for less than SS retail). If HT does do one in the future then sell it off or make a custom out of it (obi wan sliced in half) etc.

I honestly don't think HT will have much to improve on the Maul 2.0 IMHO. Of course we would like a better base and the cloak, which HT may or may not even do.

I saw a Maul 2.0 on Evil Bay just today for $160, I'd say that's a heck of a deal and if interested in Maul scoop that up, get a nice decal from Evil Face to spruce up the stand and look for a robe from the original SS Maul if its a must have.

Or wait and hope HT does one and it includes a nicer base and cloak. With the increase in HT prices lately be prepared for a price tag of $235 - $266. That appears to be the new average price range for HT right now.

Dont forget general Grievous, quickly remind how quickly he was sold out when SideShow made him back then...and his ridiculously high price in second market.

As someone here has said PT is a gold mine and I completely agree. Characters like Maul, Obiwan ROTS, Padme, Dooku, Grievous, Jedi Council members (Mace Windu, Yoda with LS version) and variant of clone commanders/troopers would pretty much outsell the current firgures from TFA/TLJ. Even if you hate the PT, you will have to admit the design of PT is far superior compare to those crappy designs which we have witnessed so far from the TFA and upcoming TLJ.

I would get my hope high and say next year Hot Toys will sneak at least 1 or two firgures from PT (Obi ROTS, Maul, Dooku) :rock. Their SW schedule this year is pretty much occupied for the unreleased Emperor, Royal Red Guard and Death Star trooper.

Yes! I'm hoping 2018 is when we see announcements for other PT figures like Obi-Wan and Dooku. I need them to spread out these releases. Honestly, from the way it has been going (release 1 year from announcement), if they don't put the Emperor up for preorder soon, he may slip into 2019.

for all those who think HT will make a Maul. I hope they do and if the do I will pick one up, but I don't regret the SS Maul 2.0 (because I got him at $160). If you had to pay $240 I would totally understand passing it up.

True, HT did not have the license at the time. However, with SS and HT being partners in a sense I am sure HT will wait a while if there is any plans to do a Maul and HT may be discouraged since SS has yet to sell out their version.

They've partners in a sense, sure. But I don't think they have as much of a gentleman's agreement on what characters they produce since Hot Toys went all out with their own Star Wars license.

Sideshow sells far more Hot Toys sixth scale than their own these days and it feels like Sideshow has one foot out the door with the sixth scale figures. They'll make a good amount of money as distributors for Hot Toys on any figure they make that might overlap their own releases, so I don't think they'd mind that much.

I will buy two HT mauls like I did with every 1:6 Maul release lol. Two V1 SS Maul, two Medi Maul, two V2 Mauls. Let’s gooooo.

They've partners in a sense, sure. But I don't think they have as much of a gentleman's agreement on what characters they produce since Hot Toys went all out with their own Star Wars license.

Sideshow sells far more Hot Toys sixth scale than their own these days and it feels like Sideshow has one foot out the door with the sixth scale figures. They'll make a good amount of money as distributors for Hot Toys on any figure they make that might overlap their own releases, so I don't think they'd mind that much.

true SS is almost gone from the 1/6 figure game. And who knows what the agreements are or if there are any for that matter. But for pure speculation purpose, It appeared to me that HT stayed away from Star Wars for quite some time, to allow SS to tap that market. I think HT may do the same with Maul. I am totally cool if HT pumped one out next month, but I feel like if they do it will be a couple years down the line.

Honestly, at the moment I am just happy they actually put Anakin up for PO. I hope they explore a lot of the characters from the PT:

Maul
Qui Gon
Dooku
Chancelor Palpatine
Padme
ROTS Obi wan
General Grievous
Clone troopers
ROTS 501st Troopers
ROTS Yoda
Entire Jedi Council

Back