Chakaman's customs, mods and repaints

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those Death Star troopers are excellent. 100% custom, right, Chris?

Thanks Will. Yes, they are custom.

20181014_200735.jpg

I really love that Kenner-style DS commander.:clap

Drooling over Chakaman's stuff has inspired most of my customs, and I remember seeing that DS trooper a while back. For those who can't access the Sideshow black uniform outfit (there's an okay ebay Imperial uniform in black also) the Hasbro 12" DS trooper uniform that you get the helmet from can be made to look decent, especially because the gloved hands hide the too-short sleeves:

h1WqFF0.jpg

It alos has the logos on the shoulders that are actually pretty accurate, though they are only seen in ROTJ as far as I recall, not in ESB or ANH (the belt boxes on mine are sideways ESB style, for my bounty hunter set-up.)

Nice looking DSTs guys :clap What gloves did you guys use? Been thinking of putting one of these guys together.

Mine are from the Sideshow Praji (they are hard as a rock btw...) and it looks like Chakaman used the Hasbro Garindan gloves, which are actually a pretty decent sculpt for hasbro.

Thanks Talibane... I’ll keep those on my radar or might try to score some extra DS Gunner gloves. I’ve got extra TIE Pilot ones but think those’ll be too bulky.

Thanks for the kind words guys. Talibane, I really like the look of your DST's. I need to update mine, they are a few years old.

For the one on the left, what's on his ears? How'd you put that together?

Those are actually a WW2 headset from Dragon or DiD that Enaud cast up for me a while back. I just painted them up..

20181015_201928.jpg

Mine are from the Sideshow Praji (they are hard as a rock btw...) and it looks like Chakaman used the Hasbro Garindan gloves, which are actually a pretty decent sculpt for hasbro.

I actually used Praji gloves on my Death Star Trooper.

Sideshow Maul v1 gloves work well too.

I agree. I actually used those on my custom Garindan.....

20181015_201904.jpg

Thanks for the kind words guys. Talibane, I really like the look of your DST's. I need to update mine, they are a few years old.

Those are actually a WW2 headset from Dragon or DiD that Enaud cast up for me a while back. I just painted them up..

View attachment 430270

I actually used Praji gloves on my Death Star Trooper.

I agree. I actually used those on my custom Garindan.....

View attachment 430268

Love it. I think you have the same hood/cape I have (it's a tough look to match.) I like those gloves better than the TIE pilot gloves I'm using. I'm still hoping to do some mods to the Hasbro Garindan head - it's a really nice sculpt that has only a few inaccuracies.

What weird about Garindan is I dont think there is a single clear ref pic of what his body looks like, so the blet and lower body is anyone's guess. I can't think of many SW characters that have no ref pics at all for most of their look.

If anyone wants some similar gloves, both the Matty and Blitzway Ghostbusters gloves are vaguely similar to those Maul gloves (which are tough to find.) The Matty sculpts are close to on-par with the Blitzway ones (and are perhaps better scaled) and are affordable when they come up.

And damn, that Kenner DST looks awesome. Still want to do that one.:clap

Love it. I think you have the same hood/cape I have (it's a tough look to match.) I like those gloves better than the TIE pilot gloves I'm using. I'm still hoping to do some mods to the Hasbro Garindan head - it's a really nice sculpt that has only a few inaccuracies.

What weird about Garindan is I dont think there is a single clear ref pic of what his body looks like, so the blet and lower body is anyone's guess. I can't think of many SW characters that have no ref pics at all for most of their look.

If anyone wants some similar gloves, both the Matty and Blitzway Ghostbusters gloves are vaguely similar to those Maul gloves (which are tough to find.) The Matty sculpts are close to on-par with the Blitzway ones (and are perhaps better scaled) and are affordable when they come up.

And damn, that Kenner DST looks awesome. Still want to do that one.:clap

There’s a good recast with improvements on the Garindan sculpt on eBay, from a guy in Spain. I bought one and I’m in process of finalizing the painting on it now. Also there’s son good capes on eBay that you can piece together to make a decent attempt.

There’s a good recast with improvements on the Garindan sculpt on eBay, from a guy in Spain. I bought one and I’m in process of finalizing the painting on it now. Also there’s son good capes on eBay that you can piece together to make a decent attempt.

Yeah, that does look good. It's not currently for sale on ebay, but I saw the pics.

Will, let me know what you think of that sculpt once it's in hand. I saw it, but it's no longer available.

Those custom Death Star Trooper and Commander are just the business. Love them.

Cheers mate!. :)

It’s basically a recast of the Hasbro with a rounded and thinner/longer snout. The stitches are too small but it looks better to my eye regardless.

I’ll post pictures later. Trying to figure out how I want to paint it...lost in color scheme.

Hey guys and gals! I haven't had any time for customs the past few months, pretty busy. I was going through my collection today and thought I would pick out my 10 favorites and take a shot of them together.

I have about 120, all from the OT. Here are the ones I chose. HT Snowtrooper, Sandtrooper and Hoth Rebel Soldier just missed the cut.:)

20190113_165400.jpg
20190113_165426.jpg
20190113_165444.jpg
20190113_165523.jpg

Looking good Chris! I like the selection... but would have thought you would have picked a few more of your from-the-ground-up customs.

Back