Chakaman's customs, mods and repaints

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As usual everything looks spot on. Great work on Chewie!

You think my home town'll push it to 7 tonight? ;)

Thanks mate. Here you go...

View attachment 218842

He isn't quite finished yet. I hope to give him the finishing touch ups this weekend. I am pleased with the results so far.

That looks awesome! I'll have to get some supplies and have a go at mine.

Is there a way to fix the pastel? It's basically just fine powder/dust that's sitting on the fur, right? Or is it more adhered/durable than that?

I'm wondering if a light spray of hairspray might hold it in place so you could lightly touch the face for posing and it wouldn't come off.

I'd worry about the hairspray breaking down the hair overtime.

Wow - wouldn't have thought of that. You mean like the chemical would eat into the hair? I've heard of people using hairspray on "real hair" figures before.

I wonder what HT used on the fur to hold it in place. Out of the box Chewy smells sort of like hairspray (not that I use it a lot.:lol)

Pretty sure the acrylic fur will be impervious to hair spray, the alcohol will evaporate in short order and if it damaged the acrylic, it would probably do really bad stuff to your own hair and/or scalp. :)

Pretty sure the acrylic fur will be impervious to hair spray, the alcohol will evaporate in short order and if it damaged the acrylic, it would probably do really bad stuff to your own hair and/or scalp. :)

True, but people usually wash it out everyday. Just sayin.

True, but people usually wash it out everyday. Just sayin.

Right, because they keep applying it. But you only need to apply it once to the figure, then it dries. I wouldn't soak the figure in 90-99% IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) as it will probably attack the glue and may affect the fibers, but a small spritz of hair spray wouldn't be an issue. If in doubt or worried, buy an artist's fixative spray - it's used specifically to fix charcoal and pastel drawings.

One other question - to color the fur, is the pastel used the powdery chalk kind or the "Oil pastel" (though it says water soluble) kind?

One seems a bit more like a crayon whereas the other is more like a stick of blackboard chalk.

As usual everything looks spot on. Great work on Chewie!

You think my home town'll push it to 7 tonight? ;)

Man, I was at the ALCS game last night in Kansas City. That 9th inning was intense. Joey Bats is a great hitter. It was an amazing game. I am glad we don't have to play tonight, you guys would have rocked Cueto. The Blue jays bullpen really let you down in the series. Congrats on a great season.

GO ROYALS!!!!

One other question - to color the fur, is the pastel used the powdery chalk kind or the "Oil pastel" (though it says water soluble) kind?

One seems a bit more like a crayon whereas the other is more like a stick of blackboard chalk.

I used the powdered chalk kind. It looks like blackboard chalk. I applied it with my thumb in the areas I wanted to lighten up. I then used a small paintbrush to even it out, lighten it up and add small details.

When I finish it, I plan on giving it a light spray of Dulcote sealant. I don't think it will hurt the fur. I don't plan on doing this more than once anyway.

Thanks Duane.
He is one of my favorites.
2015-10-24 11.42.36.jpg

Nice shot. I need to try that set up still. I got my Chewie in "the pose" and its always bitter-sweet because I love the way it looks but I don't ever want to change him out of it. First world collector problems.

Back