Casting a resin head and creating the mold?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought I'd share a recent epiphany I've had. While I in no way claim to be an expert at any of this I'm aways happy to pass on what I've learned through various trials/errors over the years.

I swear by Alumilite casting resin and silicone. But until recently I kept having the same results using the QuickSet Silicone where the mold woud rip and tear after only the first pull.

Then about a month ago I happened across Aluimilte High Strength 3 at the newly opened Hobby Lobby in town and decided to give that a go. WOW. So far I've only done a few heads but it really is a lot better. It works really well for sunken-in details or negative spaces and even for neck plugs (which would get ripped out of the mold when I used QuickSet).

I'm not entirely against QuickSet mind you. I'll still use for random things that only require a one-piece mold. For example I cast a relief of Rambo's face to use for a Rocky figure. But for headsculpts and the like I'd definitely go with High Strength 3.

On your recommentdation I'm gonna give that a try Mando... and as luck would have it I checked on-line and you can order it from Hobby Lobby and after using a 40% off coupon and shipping for $2.14 my total came to $20 :rock

I got antsy about trying to cast something so I just bought some stuff locally. I ended up with the Amazing Casting Resin (which seems to work amazingly well) and had to settle for the puddy version of a silicon mold. Even with that my first cast turned out decent and once I clean it up and fill some bubbles I think I'll be able to use it.

1037C9E1-8FFC-4A5F-BB16-A10C1FF935C4-2280-0000023F05F3451E_zps6e853376.jpg

another good molding silicone is the mold star series from smooth-on. Its got the same if not better tensile strength compared to alumilite's high strength, and its a low viscosity silicone that is designed for use without a degasser (even though its recommended to de-gas regardless.) and it typically sets in less than four hours. after shipping its about $40 - $45 for a two pound trial size which is twice the amount of the alumilite.

Another long run inexpensive solution for making several molds is Rebound 25 which is also produced by smooth-on. Same deal, costs about $45 after shipping, but because its a brushable silicone you can get many molds out of the two pound quantity. also, its tensile strength and elasticity make it possible for many castings. Combined with the use of their shell shock product or fiberglass for a mothermold, you can get some great results. The best part is that you paint on the silicone in thin layers till you achieve your desired thickness and after its cured (very quick, about an hour or so after the last coat) you can just peel off the mold like a sock and it retains its shape. This is great for achieving seamless castings.

sorry if all this has been discussed, just thought I'd throw in my two cents.

If u are serious about making moulds and castings. U want to degas the silicone and pressure cast the resin! U can screw around with all these different methods but u are wastein precious time. The only way to garunntee U will have 100% Bubble free castings and moulds are threw this method.

I use mold max 40 threw trial and error I found this to be the best product for moulds. with mold max 40 if u store your mould properly there almost indistrcutable an they could potentially last forever! However its has a viscosity of 45k Good luck not vacuum that. The less viscosity U go too the weaker the silicone will be.

Regards YourMaster

If u are serious about making moulds and castings. U want to degas the silicone and pressure cast the resin! U can screw around with all these different methods but u are wastein precious time. The only way to garunntee U will have 100% Bubble free castings and moulds are threw this method.

I use mold max 40 threw trial and error I found this to be the best product for moulds. with mold max 40 if u store your mould properly there almost indistrcutable an they could potentially last forever! However its has a viscosity of 45k Good luck not vacuum that. The less viscosity U go too the weaker the silicone will be.

Regards YourMaster

:rotfl

Ski

Thought I'd share a recent epiphany I've had. While I in no way claim to be an expert at any of this I'm aways happy to pass on what I've learned through various trials/errors over the years.

I swear by Alumilite casting resin and silicone. But until recently I kept having the same results using the QuickSet Silicone where the mold woud rip and tear after only the first pull.

Then about a month ago I happened across Aluimilte High Strength 3 at the newly opened Hobby Lobby in town and decided to give that a go. WOW. So far I've only done a few heads but it really is a lot better. It works really well for sunken-in details or negative spaces and even for neck plugs (which would get ripped out of the mold when I used QuickSet).

I'm not entirely against QuickSet mind you. I'll still use for random things that only require a one-piece mold. For example I cast a relief of Rambo's face to use for a Rocky figure. But for headsculpts and the like I'd definitely go with High Strength 3.
Have you got a link to your rambo/rocky creation?

Have been modding my first blood figure for ages but having trouble with the hair.
What i'd like to do is use the hot toys hair but transplant a rocky face on to the original sculpt, similar to what you are describing.

Havn't tried any moulding or casting but great thread to refer back to when I do , thanks all for the input;)
Anybody know of good materials to buy in the uk/ebay?

Back