Carving wood instead of plastic...is that good?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pompiato

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hello guys!
Well let me tell you I'm a rookie in this level of 12" figures!...I started with the basis line of Star Wars and later on I combined with the Kenner and Hasbro 12 inch line...

Due to my marriage and all those expense I never tried of starting a Sideshow/Medicom collection...

But recently I found the incredible quality in sculpts in the new figures and finally I fell into this...I bought the Jack Bauer figure and pre-ordered the Thriller version of Michael Jackson...

Wll buy the new Darth Vader Sideshow figure (I'm mainly a Vader Fan), but now I have a question...

Since a very early age until now I've had a passion for drawing and, believe me I do it very well...now I would like to try sculpting!...but here in Mexico material like the ones you use are hard to find...

Have any one you guys tried to carve wood?...I know it is harder and the final version is completely different but...what are your experiences? thanks!

JULIO

Hola Julio yo tambien soy de Mexico y quisiera comentarte que los materiales para trabajar este tipo de figuras son mas accesibles y economicos de lo que te imaginas, y si se consiguen en nuestro pais, si te interesa un poco de informacion hazmelo saber ¡saludos! Y VIVA MEXICO vamos a mostrar lo que se puede hacer en estas tierras jejeje

Last edited:
Hola Julio yo tambien soy de Mexico y quisiera comentarte que los materiales para trabajar este tipo de figuras son mas accesibles y economicos de lo que te imaginas, y si se conciguen en nuestro pais, si te interesa un poco de informacion hazmelo saber ¡saludos! Y VIVA MEXICO vamos a mostrar lo que se puede hacer en estas tierras jejeje

Oye! pues en verdad que bueno saber eso...pero no creas que so diestro en esto del modelado...no he hecho nunca esto pero si me encanta todo lo que es foto, video, diseño, dibujo...en fin todo lo que sea crear y pienso que me podría defender con el modelado...eso si ayudame a ver como le hago para conseguir los materiales y como hacerlo...me imagino que tu ya tienes bastante camino recorrido!...gracias...saludos desde Monclova, Coahuila MEXICO!

Yep,
you can find them @ Fantasías Miguel or some store like that...
look up Polymer Clay or Sculpting Clay...

Saludos Betomatali!
Chingón tu Avatar!!! :rock!

Polymer Clay...well will try to look for it in Monterrey or Saltillo...here in Monclova will be hard to find it...thanks!

You could carve figure heads in wood.

It would take much longer, be hard to sand into a smooth shape, and be prone to drying out, warping and cracking. Not to mention the splinters. No ones going to stop you if that's all you can get to practise with. It's better than stone, yeah?

Sculpey may be hard to get where you are, but there are other, maybe more readily available materials, such as Fimo. Try an arts supply or hobby store and ask them what they can do for you.

I must be going dyslexic in my old age because I read the title of this thread as "Craving wood instead of plastic" and my face went :google then it went :horror then it went :banana

Well guys!...I gave up on working with wood...I got Polymer Clay and other material to start this new hobbie I really wish could be a new expression way for me...

In order to organize a set of webpages, tutorial sites, etc., would like to know any link to know the procedures to make a good painting on head sculpts...skin, eyes, hair, etc...can you help me? thanks...

Wow!...that really will help me a lot!...just will need to adjust color to meet our mexican skin tone...(My project is to make a figure of myself and later on the rest of my family)...

Back