Statue Carnotaurus Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The black stripes are just a pattern of poorly applied lines, look like they've been done with a generic black marker on the whole thing instead of being part of the skin, like they're supposed to be. It's like painting stripes on a kitten and expect people to believe it's a tiger.
This is a promo pic, really only takes one functionin eye to spot the differences. Not joking when I say I've seen cheap plastic toys with a better paint app:

2000163-carnotaurus-010.jpg

The black stripes are just a pattern of poorly applied lines, look like they've been done with a generic black marker on the whole thing instead of being part of the skin, like they're supposed to be. It's like painting stripes on a kitten and expect people to believe it's a tiger.
This is a promo pic, really only takes one functionin eye to spot the differences. Not joking when I say I've seen cheap plastic toys with a better paint app:

View attachment 168851

That may be, and it is probably readily apprarent to you if you have it in hand, but that is not really showing through in the pictures posted. I do agree that it is pretty far off from that promo pic, but your other comments about how cheap/toyish it looks, just not seeing that from the pic's. But hey, I have photos from some of the worst places on the planet that make those places look beautiful too, so this may be an odd instance of making a piece look better in pic's than it does in hand.

That may be, and it is probably readily apprarent to you if you have it in hand, but that is not really showing through in the pictures posted. I do agree that it is pretty far off from that promo pic, but your other comments about how cheap/toyish it looks, just not seeing that from the pic's. But hey, I have photos from some of the worst places on the planet that make those places look beautiful too, so this may be an odd instance of making a piece look better in pic's than it does in hand.

My thoughts exactly sir. :clap

I have the original and was also thinking about double dipping because I liked the paint scheme. IF I had forgotten what the proto paint job looked like ,and that's a big IF, I would have thought the piece looked okay for a mass produced statue. There is definitely a big difference in the quality here and I am glad that I didn't get it. I agree that the almost smooth straight lines are not all that appealing.

I did get the Spinosaurus repaint, and although the stripes and dappling are also not as crisp as the proto paint job, it doesn't suffer like the Carno does. Maybe they had a template for the Spino, since there was so much, as opposed to what looks like free hand for the Carno. Such a shame. Those stripes looked killer.

Sadly, this pic indicates that all the Carnos were painted as badly, as this looks almost exactly like mine: a thick black line instead of mottled patterning along the side, and stripes that look very 'square' and un-organic. When I requested a replacement, Sideshow informed me that it was 'unlikely they could find one that was significantly better'. As others have reported, the Spino looks much better than this (as does the Mosasaur), so it's a shame the Chinese factory fumbled the ball so badly with this one.

0223151308a%201600x900_1.jpg

I have a question for the owners of this second version of the Carnosaur. If you had the chance to return your Carno for a full refund, would you do it? I have one on pre-order, and I am torn as to what to do. I really like the sculpt, but the negative comments of the paint apps is making me question whether I should just cancel my order and re-allocate my monies somewhere else.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

I've been happy with the paint applications with all the releases so far, until now. While I didn't order the repaint of the Carno I would most definitely be looking at returning it had mine arrived in this condition. Sad to hear that Sideshow doesn't believe better paint applications are available. Makes me a little nervous about the new T-Rex and Tri coming out in a few months.

Anyone else have pictures they can share of the paint applications they received?

I guess the lighting makes all the difference. But this is a very poorly painted statue.

carno1.jpg
carno2.jpg

I have a question for the owners of this second version of the Carnosaur. If you had the chance to return your Carno for a full refund, would you do it? I have one on pre-order, and I am torn as to what to do. I really like the sculpt, but the negative comments of the paint apps is making me question whether I should just cancel my order and re-allocate my monies somewhere else.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

I already had the bronze Carno, so I've sent mine back. IMO this one should be avoided in general. However, if you're new to the line it's a really nice sculpt and with good lighting and from a short distance it is passable (see pic below). Hope that helps.

carno3.jpg

Jerrasic, even though you blasted yours with light, your photos really show how off this came out compared to the proto, thank you. Guess they will be sitting on this guy for awhile.

no matter how you look at it, it's a really bad paint job, especially on the rear legs, just straight lines, no blending at all, hard to imagine someone did the job and said, yeah, that looks good, next!

Please tell me how it's possible! doesn't Sideshow inspect a prototype painted unit before giving the way for one thousand units productio?
good job Sideshow you have saved money for the paint now you have only to find one thousand people to cheat...stupid company...

Jerassic, thanks for the photos and your views.

It's a shame Sideshow have let this gorgeous sculpt be treated so badly with the paint app.

I dread to think how the Apat is going to turn out.

Please tell me how it's possible! doesn't Sideshow inspect a prototype painted unit before giving the way for one thousand units productio?
good job Sideshow you have saved money for the paint now you have only to find one thousand people to cheat...stupid company...

My thoughts exactly. I'm just hoping they don't take it out on us for nobody buying this thing.

Very sad to hear, regarding the amateurish paint apps, though your statue does seem way better than the previous collector's pic posts. Can't believe SS would allow factories to screw this up! Instead of a perceived improvements for this wonderful line, the dreaded QC issues rear their ugly heads, again, but this time, even worse paint apps, & way more expensive to boot. Go ****ing figure!!!???:slap:cuckoo: Who ever is in charge of looking after this line has screwed up big time, virtually killing this relaunch project.

It took 200 million years for dinosaurs to become extinct, Sideshow has managed to do so in a mere 5 years! Rest in peace dinosauria, & shame on you Sideshow.

You're right, what a waste of such a good sculpt!!!...I'm just back from the repaint Allosaurus and now here comes the worse one!!! Those poor ,cheap red painting...you know what...I'll try to contact the service manager of SS to express my anger...I don't care if it works but I will!

Back