Captain Toy presents SDCC 2017 Photo Coverage

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every year, every year I rely on your photos in all their glory Michael. Sigh...another SDCC lived vicariously through this thread...

Thank you Michael!

thanks for posting the pics! Hope to see the rest as you upload.

I did not realize NECA acquired the Laika license(s)

Looking forward to the Kubo and 2 Strings figure - I almost bit on the Kubo limited figure that's going for upwards of $300+ on ebay.... but I can probably wait for NECA's version, which will be much cheaper.

Ahoy Cap'n Toy! Great pics and much appreciated however, are you going to upload any closeups of Gimli, Sam and Frodo?

More updates tonight - DC Collectibles, Diamond Select Toys, Mondo, Hallmark, Gentle Giant, Square Enix, Weta, and 3A/ThreeZero (under "Misc Companies").

Haven't seen gimli, Sam or Frodo - who else has the Asmus stuff at their booth other than Diamond?

Im pretty sure Asmus is only at the Diamond booth. I just didnt see any focused shots of Gimli, Sam or Frodo who were in frame when you took the pics of Legolas, Boromir, Merry and Pippin.

More updates today - Hasbro (Star Wars, Marvel, Transformers, My Little Pony), Super7, Pop Culture Shock, Bif Bang Pow, and Hollywood Collectibles Group!

I added those shots of Gimli and company - lighting was AWFUL, as usual in the Diamond booth. Also added a bunch of photos under the Misc Companies, as well as the general con shots and cosplay. That's it for photos, but I'll be doing my best/worst list later this week!

Every year, every year I rely on your photos in all their glory Michael. Sigh...another SDCC lived vicariously through this thread...

Thank you Michael!
Call me crazy, but I don't think going SDCC is all it's cracked up to be. I went in...2014, I think it was. And I'll say, I had a lot of fun, but I also was fortunate enough to have a good amount of expenses covered through travel rewards and frequent flyer points, which lightened the load greatly. Flew out to Cali Wednesday, left Sunday afternoon.

After the first day, you've seen the majority that the floor has to offer. Getting into the big panels amounts to a lot of standing in line after line, even camping out. If you're into Funko, who carries a big presence, you're not getting what you want because the lines are so long - it's easier to get the shared exclusives. In fact, since most people share exclusives now, so that isn't remotely as much of an incentive as it once was.

You'll get lucky and meet some random celebrities, I ended up looking at the NECA booth with Byran Fuller and talked collectibles for a bit. So that's kinda cool. The stuff outside the center is often more fun - that year they had the Assassin's Creed Unity obstacle course. But again, lots of line waiting.

Don't get me wrong, the experience is fun, and if you can spring it, it's worth a shot to go check it out at least once. I was very fortunate to go under the circumstances I was able to, and I'm extremely thankful for that experience. But in the end, I don't think you are missing as much as some of the hype leads you to believe. It's not necessarily this nerd pilgrimage that will change your life. So if you hold your expectations a bit, it'll probably be better. It's a case of "if you can go, definitely do it, but don't feel bad if you can't".

And even if you're there - you end up in your hotel at the end of the day, looking at Michael's photography of the con just the same as everyone else to recap haha.

I had a great year as well. As far as Hasbro exclusives go.. people were camping out literally for them Wed. thru Friday but Saturday mid afternoon there was no one at the booth and they opened up the exclusives line with no ticket necessary, sorry you missed that. I picked up the Luke/Rey 2 pack for a friend as I don't collect that scale but he loved it. I saw vendor booths on the floor charging $200 for the 2 pack Thurs-Fri. By Sat. they came down to $100 and I almost went for that, glad I was patient as I got them for the retail ($54.95 plus tax).

I stay up in North Park now, well away from the Con and did Uber Pool every day into and out of the area. Some mornings it was literally $2.38 to get down there, the most I paid was $9. Must have been a premium charge coming from Hotel Circle as I was a number of miles further away than you were.

Agree that Ecto-1 was the bomb but my favorite reveal was probably TWOK Khan by QMX. He was awesome. Also agree with your assessment of Four Horsemen. I totally regret not collecting that but I am sticking to my 1/6th only mantra. I have to.

I thought the 3Zero/3A booth was really lacking and as usual hated the Diamond display for Asmus and others. Hot Toys had some awesome reveals especially for Star Wars and had a few other cool things too but was a bit sad there was not much in diorama action going on. The Emperor, Guards, Tarken, etc. really called for a Death Star dio of some sort. I was bummed that the new scale for Court of the Dead was not 1/6th figures, their designs are so cool but I cannot get into that line of statues, I have no where to put them. I do wish they would have done a different set up for CotD though, it looked too similar to last year.

My highlights were seeing the cast of Walking Dead and Game of Thrones on the con floor doing autographs. I felt the floor was even more crowded than any year prior, especially in those bottlenecks near the aforementioned signing booths, it was a mad-house! I also love the Art Directors Guild and Costumers' panels as well as some of the other concept design for film panels, those were full of insight and inspiration. My biggest let down panel-wise was the Star Wars collectible panel, nothing really fun to report that you couldn't find out just going to the booths.

Like you, I bought very little this year. I picked up Tamashi Nations C-3PO which is now available again with the announcement of R2 and that used up my figure budget. I bought some great prints from artists like Dave Dorn and Dan Parsons and I won a 1/144th Bandai AT-AT model in the raffle at the SW collectible panel but that was about it.

The Westworld off site only let in 12 people at a time as it was so immersive but not the best for a con of this size. Some people waited 11 hours for the GOT offsite, which is insane. Glad you got to do the Bladerunner thing. I had friends that spend 4 hours in that line and said the only redeemable thing was the shots at the end.

Back