Premium Format Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Coming Soon

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats, aa909! :duff

Your statue looks good and I hope mine looks as good when I get it.

thanks Snoop! BTW, when you set it up, the arm holding the shield will have a seam, but the leather straps across the shoulders are positioned exactly over the arm joints so they completely cover it up. Good luck with yours!

Just unboxed mine and thought I'd share my immediate thoughts and some pics. Overall I think the statue is a keeper and here are the pros and weaknesses based on my first impressions:

Pros:
- Pose is excellent
- The base is very nice in person and the paint app on the torso, legs, boots and both heads is very good.
- The faded effects on the uniform look well done and the overall statue has a good weathered look.
- The red shield looks great with a lot of battle damage.

Weakness:
- Eyes on the masked version are slightly off (unmasked head has proper eyes), and there are some visible brush marks on the blue cap portion.
- The left had has a weathered dirt effect, but they could have better definition on the fingers. It's better than what I see in Spliffs statue because his lacks the dirt effect and you can see the lack of definition on his pretty clearly.
- Paint app on blue shield could be better on the silver portion

Now the pics (Please excuse the clutter, we are in the middle of moving)
View attachment 277364

View attachment 277365

View attachment 277366

View attachment 277367

View attachment 277368

View attachment 277369

View attachment 277370

View attachment 277371

View attachment 277372

View attachment 277373

I'd grade this an overall B because I love the pose and overall look of the battle worn Winter Soldier. The blemishes I pointed out in the pics are only visible close up. While IMO this is a keeper at a B, it is definitely not an A because the the overall paint apps on the fingers, cap and both shields would need to be much to get to that grade.

- Art

How is the skin tone? Is he too dark?

Is the likeness any better in person then pics?

What would u rather have. This or gentle giant at half the cost? To go with gentle giant black widow in pic with custom base

b5087e1eb3e9eb346f5d0e512cf94d1c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that does look better than mine. Hopefully I can get a good exchange. What number did you get btw?

IMO you should be able to exchange your easily. I wish you the best of luck. :duff

thanks Snoop! BTW, when you set it up, the arm holding the shield will have a seam, but the leather straps across the shoulders are positioned exactly over the arm joints so they completely cover it up. Good luck with yours!

Cool, thanks for the tip and thanks for wishing me luck! :hi5:

How is the skin tone? Is he too dark? To me the masked head has perfect skin tone, the unmasked head is somewhat darker

Is the likeness any better in person then pics? it's exactly as you see in my pics. If you're looking for a spot on Evans head sculpt, this is not it.

What would u rather have. This or gentle giant at half the cost? To go with gentle giant black widow in pic with custom base this is totally subject, but the GG pose does nothing for me, I personally prefer a dynamic Cap statue so I give this one higher scores because of the pose. Good Luck!

b5087e1eb3e9eb346f5d0e512cf94d1c.jpg

see my reply in bold above

Nice pictures, Art! :clap

Your statue looks better than any pictures posted so far, including the production shots from SS.

Looks like their is hope for this statue yet. Really curious to unbox mine this week and see what I end up with. I still hate those Play-Doh fingers though. :lol

I just unboxed mine, and I really like it! Thankfully, with this pose, you won't see the top of the left hand, so lack of detail there isn't that big a deal. Pose is awesome, and shoulder straps block the seams (which are pretty big) where the arms attach. Masked head does have major googly eyes, so I need to get a replacement head, but I'm keeping this statue. Skin tone looks totally fine and not super tan.

Thanks for your answers

Would it be possible for you to post a YouTube review? Thanks

I've just boxed everything up for our upcoming move so will be at least a month before I get a chance to do a YouTube review. But here are some pics of the unmasked head and as you can see he's not "too tan" but he has some bushy eyebrow LOL.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Nice pictures, Art! :clap

Your statue looks better than any pictures posted so far, including the production shots from SS.

Looks like their is hope for this statue yet. Really curious to unbox mine this week and see what I end up with. I still hate those Play-Doh fingers though. :lol

Good luck, hopefully it meets expectations. The fingers are a weak spot but if they did a good level of dirt-airbrushing it won't be too objectionable. But IMO the pose, and the rest of the paint apps look good on mine. GL!!

I just unboxed mine, and I really like it! Thankfully, with this pose, you won't see the top of the left hand, so lack of detail there isn't that big a deal. Pose is awesome, and shoulder straps block the seams (which are pretty big) where the arms attach. Masked head does have major googly eyes, so I need to get a replacement head, but I'm keeping this statue. Skin tone looks totally fine and not super tan.

Happy to hear you got a good example as well. There's a lot of subjectivity in this hobby, but if folks want a dynamic Cap statue this is really the only one available at the moment.

I'm still on the fence on this

Seeing new pics I like it

But I cancelled my ex based off first initial pics

Ordered the gentle giant for $165 shipped. Already got widow

I will get gentle giant this next Friday.

I still sorta want this one but cancelled my ex and got gg coming. Sigh.

I need to be strong willed and just not order. Captain is my favorite marvel super hero though

I do plan to get the new iron studios one as well so I will own Atleast 3 1/4 and 1 1/6.

I don't want two winter soldier costumes only 1. I'm hoping gentle giant will be good enough in person to make me forget about this one.

I hope Gentle Giant's Cap turns out to be good for you, Kitana. :duff

I'm looking forward to Tuesday when mine arrives. :D

Well I do own

Gentle giant

Widow

Rocket and Groot

Themistokles and Artesmia

And I'm happy with all them even with lame bases and lame poses. Lol.

Hey everyone, so im pretty new to the whole Premium Format scene and im planning on getting this as my first PF. Not going to lie and say the first pictures of this piece have kind of made me re think my decision. Cap being one of my favorite heroes, makes me want to take a shot with it. My question is since ive never dealt with PFs, if i do end up getting one and theres some issues, are replacement pieces difficult to get? Also should i wait to see if i could get it for under retail price? Thanks for any help...

Hey everyone, so im pretty new to the whole Premium Format scene and im planning on getting this as my first PF. Not going to lie and say the first pictures of this piece have kind of made me re think my decision. Cap being one of my favorite heroes, makes me want to take a shot with it. My question is since ive never dealt with PFs, if i do end up getting one and theres some issues, are replacement pieces difficult to get? Also should i wait to see if i could get it for under retail price? Thanks for any help...

Hey bud! It's great to hear another collector diving into Sideshow's Premium Format but I honestly do NOT think this particular statue is indicative of what Sideshow is capable of. For the last two years leading up to this release, there have been plenty of signs of flawed production - delay after delay, an outcry against the Headsculpt and very late production photos. I really think this was close to just being cancelled. If not for big Cap fans like me that'll eventually break down and buy it, they would've given up and cancelled this statue because it just IS not up,to par especially with PFs like Comic Batman, Superman, WW, Batgirl, etc. Captain America is one of my faves and I love this suit so I'll get it but ONLY after a HUGE price cut. Reason being is because I'm definitely going to spend extra money to commission a much better Headsculpt and touch up the paint apps.

Long story short, THIS IS 100% NOT the best example of a Premium Format. Respect to all the troopers sticking it out with their purchase at full price and props to the people,who actually love it but the final product does not warrant Premium Price.

Hey bud! It's great to hear another collector diving into Sideshow's Premium Format but I honestly do NOT think this particular statue is indicative of what Sideshow is capable of. For the last two years leading up to this release, there have been plenty of signs of flawed production - delay after delay, an outcry against the Headsculpt and very late production photos. I really think this was close to just being cancelled. If not for big Cap fans like me that'll eventually break down and buy it, they would've given up and cancelled this statue because it just IS not up,to par especially with PFs like Comic Batman, Superman, WW, Batgirl, etc. Captain America is one of my faves and I love this suit so I'll get it but ONLY after a HUGE price cut. Reason being is because I'm definitely going to spend extra money to commission a much better Headsculpt and touch up the paint apps.

Long story short, THIS IS 100% NOT the best example of a Premium Format. Respect to all the troopers sticking it out with their purchase at full price and props to the people,who actually love it but the final product does not warrant Premium Price.

thanks for all the great info! The pose and suit are the primary reason why i want to pick this up so badly. Ive heard that Iron Studios doing a Civil War Cap, ive seen their AOU one and its amazing, but the price is pretty up there so not sure if i should just wait for that. Do you think this piece will sell out? I found one going for around 370 shipped, so its a little bit under retail. Im also thinking holding off on this and looking for an Amazing Spidey PF instead... So many decisions to make with PF's since the price point is more than your usual Hot Toy figure that im used to collecting.

It's a dangerous game your about to step into.

Little more then a year ago I solely collected Hot Toys, but then I went into 1/4 statues and I haven't stopped since. Heck I've even got a 1/3 and 1/2 pieces on preorder, while still collecting Hot Toys (I need help!)

I doubt this Sideshow piece will sell out any time soon. The Iron Studios AOU Cap is an amazing piece which imo is worth the price as it's got a headsculpt comparable with Hot Toys, which recently for movie pieces unfortunately isn't all too common.

Back