Premium Format Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Coming Soon

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be fair with Sideshow, there was no nrd when they put this on sale with only a concept art. Then the prototype already had no likeness to Evans, so I don't see why people bought it anyway expecting a major miracle and a different head sculpt. Not sure if i'd give a full refund to someone who cancels for the lack of likeness if I were them honestly.

The prototype was much better so I am assuming a lot of people were fine with the lack of likeness as long as it didn't get worse. It did, by a huge margin.

And yeah, what Collectorcol said.

Do you have pics of the proto? Using the phone right now and it's problematic to dig for them. I recall I immediatly thought it was nowhere close to Evans in terms of likeness to be honest

It got much worse...

attachment-5.jpg

300377_captain_america_007__65108.1438203501.450.600.jpg

IMG_3452_zpsd95ff052.jpg

That being said... Man, the face did look bad on the proto. Not sure how they could get the eyes so wrong when it's one of the most important aspects of proper likeness.

So... I slept on it... and...
Thank you Sideshow... this is now my first time ever to CANCEL a statue!!! Can't believe you guys let us down that bad!!!! 2½ freakin year.... 2½ freaking year you had to rework the head... but no...

The pose... the suit... everything was incredible... but that head... THAT HEAD!!!! Even with the helmet, you can only laught of how bad it doesn't look anything like Evans...

I know... 2½ year that we've seen the proto of how bad it wasn't like Evans but I always dreamed that *maybe* SSC would listen to us and delay this to rework the head... but no... :(
02.jpg

*** Updated sig ***

Yeah that's the thing, that's what made me kind of hopeful really, given how long it took you had to assume somehow that it was in part due to them reworking some details. Mainly the likeness of course.

It's too bad because this is one of the last "affordable" PF's, Winter Soldier is probably my favorite Marvel movie, but as a huge Chris Evans as Cap fan, I can't see myself getting this.

Haha, this thread is cracking me up! Maybe someone from sideshow heard "Steve Carell" instead of Steve Rodgers.

steve-carell.jpg

Honestly I think the only real difference is that the final product has a darker skin tone, but the sculpt is clearly the same and it was clearly nowhere close to Evans back then. The shot from below up is just a tad more reminiscent of Evans... but that's it. Also, ok for the head with helmet, but I was talking of the unmasked portrait, that one didn't look even close to Evans in the proto, never did. Dunno, on one side I get why people are pissed off, on the other side this is very very easy to foresee and expect.

Honestly I think the only real difference is that the final product has a darker skin tone, but the sculpt is clearly the same and it was clearly nowhere close to Evans back then. The shot from below up is just a tad more reminiscent of Evans... but that's it. Also, ok for the head with helmet, but I was talking of the unmasked portrait, that one didn't look even close to Evans in the proto, never did. Dunno, on one side I get why people are pissed off, on the other side this is very very easy to foresee and expect.

I agree... SSC even said they were not changing anything. I know it may be disappointing after a 2+ year wait.. But it was out there for all to see.

I agree... SSC even said they were not changing anything. I know it may be disappointing after a 2+ year wait.. But it was out there for all to see.

With more companies listening to customer feedback and frequently asking for it on social media, won't they have to rethink their stance at some point?
This would have required very little work, how many pre-orders/future orders are they going to lose due to not investing some more time into this statue?
Plus they are artists, they are fans, they should try to only release products they can be proud of. They can't be proud of that face, no way, not when they just announced a Darth Maul PF with the best likeness ever seen on a Maul statue.

I get what you guys are saying, but there is no defending Sideshow in that situation imo. They handled this very poorly and didn't stand by what the description was advertising to customers. Maybe this could have been considered decent likeness 10 years ago, but by today's standards...

Didn’t even start on the unmasked portrait, that was just bad from proto to production.
FTR, I cancelled as soon as I saw the proto. When a company promises an actors likeness they should deliver, especially when they take so long to produce.
I was convinced that portrait would of at least had a tweak to make it look better.

With more companies listening to customer feedback and frequently asking for it on social media, won't they have to rethink their stance at some point?
This would have required very little work, how many pre-orders/future orders are they going to lose due to not investing some more time into this statue?
Plus they are artists, they are fans, they should try to only release products they can be proud of. They can't be proud of that face, no way, not when they just announced a Darth Maul PF with the best likeness ever seen on a Maul statue.

I get what you guys are saying, but there is no defending Sideshow in that situation imo. They handled this very poorly and didn't stand by what the description was advertising to customers. Maybe this could have been considered decent likeness 10 years ago, but by today's standards...

Don't get me wrong, bottom line, I agree with you. Everyone here will tell you I'm not exactly a Sideshow supporter, they dropped the ball on this piece big time.
I'm just saying it's unrealistic for you to expect them to change something after preorder, I know "it happened"... but you can count the times it happened on one hand probably. It's not something to expect or to take for granted at all, you're gambling with your money if you preorder from them and expect major tweaks like this.
Especially because, let's say that... this statue wasn't going to sell out anytime soon. All these movie version turned out more or less like the derpy brothers of their comics counterparts and are easily available at retail or lower. Only reasonable approach for these imho is just to wait for release and decide with no rush what to do.

Last edited:

I agree that its an embarrassing portrait and IMO should have been changed. .... I am just saying that anyone who ordered this with the pics that were shown on the site should have known this is how it was going to look. SSC never said they were going to change it. So if you ordered with all of that info or at least some of it and never a promise of a better CE likeness then you should not be surprised or even angry about your purchase. Disappointed maybe.. If you were really hoping SSC was going to pull out a surprise new head sculpt... But really everyone should have known this was coming.

I knew likness was bad but the paint app is what makes me mad. Too tan and overall doesn't look as good

Maybe better in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back