Captain America: Civil War (May 6, 2016)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get what the article is saying, but it sure sounds like a watered-down "Civil War" adaptation, IMO. And if it's NOT supposed to be based on the Civil War series, one of the most well-known Marvel arcs written, then why of all names to name a Marvel movie would you name it.....Civil War?

Last edited:
I get what the article is saying, but it sure sounds like a watered-down "Civil War" adaptation, IMO. And if it's NOT supposed to be based on the Civil War series, one of the most know Marvel arcs written, then why of all names to name a Marvel movie would you name it.....Civil War?
Because it will sells tickets. And considering Robert and Evans most likely will never be around long enough to see a registration act civil war, get the most out of them and your brands while you can.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Because it's a "Civil War", duh. It's about the gray area between right and wrong, not about secret identities.
This argument is gettin' sillier and sillier every day...

Because it will sells tickets. And considering Robert and Evans most likely will never be around long enough to see a registration act civil war, get the most out of them and your brands while you can.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Yeah, and I get that. But it's just the point of: If you're going to advertise for years that 'hey, all of our movies and their characters are only loosely based on what you've seen in the comics,' why continue to advertise with such specific titles and then explain in press releases that it has very little to do with the comic.

Because you know what'll come next?

"Planet Hulk" - a movie based on Hulk fighting the Leader....and nothing remotely to due with the Planet Hulk comic arc - different villain, difficult setting, different characters....but technically, it involves Hulk and....technically, he's living on a planet. So yeah, let's call it "Planet Hulk." :lol

Just ranting here, but wow. Just trying to get my point across.

Between this and the Ike news, it's a new era at Marvel Studios.
By DEVIN FARACI Sep. 02, 2015

This week we learned that Disney restructured Marvel Studios so that it no longer sat under the purview of... eccentric billionaire Ike Perlmutter. Ike, known for penny pinching to a frankly absurdist degree, as well as a guy given to the sorts of outbursts that prompt lawsuits, was a dark cloud hanging over Marvel's day to day operations. But getting away from Ike isn't the only big move that has happened at Marvel recently.

Yesterday my friend El Mayimbe of Heroic Hollywoodreported on Periscope that there has been a shake-up of the Creative Committee at Marvel, and I can now confirm that. Not only has there been a shake-up, I believe that the Creative Committee is actually finished altogether, although some version of it may continue to live on at Marvel TV, which remains under Ike's control.

What was the Creative Committee? It was a group of people who would give notes and thoughts on Marvel productions as they made their way from script to screen. Some of the guys on the committee included Alan Fine, who came with Perlmutter to Marvel through Toy Biz, Brian Michael Bendis, who is a prolific Marvel Comics writer, Dan Buckley, publisher of Marvel Comics and Joe Quesada, former editor-in-chief of Marvel Comics and the current Chief Creative Officer of Marvel Enterprises.

On paper that sounds like a great line-up of talent, but it seems as if in practice it was often a source of frustration. Over the years I've heard many stories of the Creative Committee giving notes that are pedestrian, motivated by 'save the cat' story logic and sometimes a drag on creativity. One Marvel creative talked to me about battles with the Creative Committee where they focused on details of nit-picky science that ignored the general tone of the script itself. The notes that drove Edgar Wright off Ant-Man came from the Creative Committee. What's more, the Creative Committee was often very tardy with their notes, making movie development a much slower process.

All of the Committee members have other, very important jobs, so you understand why that would be the case, but it was a pain for filmmakers. And that's before taking into account the political divisions within Marvel that also created friction with the Creative Committee.

Now that the Creative Committee has been dissolved and now that Ike is out of the picture, Marvel Studios is facing a real new dawn. It won't be evident on Captain America: Civil War or maybe Doctor Strange, which is already deep in pre-production, but everything coming afterwards could reflect a new energy at Marvel. Key creative decisions are now being made by Kevin Feige, Louis D'Esposito and Victoria Alonso alone. Any drag or difficulty caused by the Creative Committee is over, and any skinflint choices and bizarre decisions made by Ike are out of the way (trivia: I understand the reason there are no Black Widow toys is specifically because Ike, with a background in toys, believes girl toys do not sell and thus vetoed them again and again. One guy was the roadblock.), and now we're going to see Marvel Studios operating at full power as it goes into Phase Three. I don't think this means we're going to see Captain Marvel suddenly get a $300 million budget - I think Marvel understands that reasonable frugality is what has allowed Ant-Man to become a success - but I think we're going to see happier actors, more dynamic creative visions and a Kevin Feige who could be leading Marvel well into the next decade. More than that, I think the doors to diversity have opened in a big way, especially post-Ike.

When they write the book about Marvel Studios this is going to be a big chapter.

Captain America might be sticking around for a while.
By SIDDHANT ADLAKHA Sep. 04, 2015

Back when Chris Evans was first cast, I had my doubts about him. Who didn’t? All I had seen him do was play The Human Torch, a Marvel hero that could not be more different from Captain America, and yet in 2011, he proved to be perfect for the role, and he’s continued to prove it time and time-again. Now, he’s finally spoken about wanting to continue on as Steve Rogers. Hallelujah.

Thus far, his intended future at Marvel seemed pretty shaky. It was less than six months ago that he said wanted to leave acting behind in order to focus on directing (his debut feature Before We Go opens today), and it seemed pretty certain that he’d be done with Captain America after Avengers: Infinity War Part II in 2019, a re-negotiated seventh appearance on his six-film contract. But now, he seems to have re-thought that decision.
“Listen, if Marvel wants me they got me.”

He goes on to talk about how Marvel consistently makes great movies, and all the stuff you’re used to hearing actors say about the people who employ them, but it’s with a renewed enthusiasm, and that opening statement, delivered with gusto and confidence, is the important part. It’s the first time he’s spoken publicly about extending his contract beyond 2019, and what a time for him to mention it! This past Monday, we got word that Kevin Feige had managed to get Marvel out from under vice grip of Ike Perlmutter. On Wednesday morning, Devin posted some details on the dissolution of the supposed blockade known as the Marvel Creative Committee. This interview was held later that same day.

I don’t think this is a coincidence. Whether Evans became aware of the restructuring through the press or whether he was privy to it beforehand, it’s clear that he’s changed his mind about his future working relationship with Marvel. Many, including myself, had just sort of assumed that with the end of Phase III we would also see the end of Kevin Feige’s time as President, as well as the departure of Evans’ Steve Rogers, the heart and soul of the MCU. Now I’m not so sure.

What a week for Marvel.

Interesting... Ultron's success finalize all this?

Sometimes its good to have friction.... sometimes its good to have forces working against you so your real talent shines. Spielberg discovered this on Jaws, Lucas clearly showed us the opposite when he surrounded himself with yes-men. Pains-in-the-ass can sometimes force brilliance out of others just by forcing them to really think things through.

Marvel did pretty well with its old set-up. They clearly peaked at Avengers/Winter Soldier. Tastes are already changing -- nothing you can do about that. Things get old. I'm certain by the time Infinity Wars hits, this old Marvel stuff will be so "uncool" it will be like an E.T. knock-off in 1987 (like Batteries Not Included). Jurassic World beat Avengers 2. Remember when Lucas/Spielberg were the unstoppable summer force... until Ghostbusters. It never was the same after. And it's likely this summer will be looked back upon as the end of the MCU era... or the dip in the road to the New Age of MCU... the FeigeCU.

Don't worry though, either way they will keep on plopping out Marvel movies.... its a staple now... but that's the problem: it's a staple now.

Matrix put Lucas in his place in 1999.

Before he even got started.... but then those bros (or bro and sis) fumbled the sequels. Between AOTC and then Reloaded the year after all I could think of is WTF...?

People forget how bad things can go sometimes. They think the good times will last forever. Until they don't.

True dat.

I also think what you're saying about Marvel could be right, but we won't know until movies are released under the "new way of doing things around here."

Maybe Ike directed AOU. :lol

I'm rooting for Marvel. I would love to see a movie as good as Winter Soldier every summer. But that kind of thing just can't last.

It's pretty incredible that we've gotten:
Iron Man
Avengers
Winter Soldier

I pick these three as the top because of their re-watchability. GOTG gets tiresome, I'm sure Ant-Man will too.

/\ Those are my 3 as well, although I really liked Evans in TFA as well and Thor 1 had some great moments in Asgard.

AM only saw once, enjoyed it but no WS.

My three would be Iron Man, Winter Soldier and Guardians.

In best order, IMO
- Iron Man 1
- Winter Soldier
- Guardians of the Galaxy
- Captain America 1 / Thor 1 / Avengers
- Age of Ultron
- Iron Man 3
- Thor 2
- Iron Man 2

I'm looking forward to Civil War and Guardians 2. I'm sure the new Avengers will be better with the Russo's directing. Haven't seen Ant Man yet.

I really liked TFA too, but its not as re-watchable at the Top Three. Same with Thor 1, but it was a great movie truly -- I hated Thor as a kid and only warmed up to him because of that movie. Branaugh really did a great job.

Honorable mention would go to:
First Avenger
Thor 1
Guardians

I really liked TFA too, but its not as re-watchable at the Top Three. Same with Thor 1, but it was a great movie truly -- I hated Thor as a kid and only warmed up to him because of that movie. Branaugh really did a great job.

Honorable mention would go to:
First Avenger
Thor 1
Guardians

I can agree with that, well done.

Back