Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier

I saw this yesterday, and I thought I'd share my thoughts on how they depicted DC? Since I'm a DC boy, born and raised. (NO SPOILERS, I THINK).

It is SO hard for movies to seem to do DC justice, though I think this one did a pretty damn good job overall. The logos and uniforms of the "cops" were pretty close, close enough, and the metrobus in the car chase was pretty good. Not perfect, but good enough that I can't complain. The movie obviously shot in the Air & Space Museum here, so that was a definite plus.

Granted, it wasn't DC, but Cleveland was a pretty close fix. I can't help but count floors when I see a pic from DC - there's a rule that no building can be taller than the Washington Monument, which usually translates to between 6-7 floors. So if you're counting windows and you hit 8 - which I did a couple of times, lol - it's not DC. But honestly, that's something probably no one but me would notice.

So, as far as the HUGE building - technically, it's not in DC, it's in Roslyn, right across the river from the Kennedy Center (you can actually see the building I work in in some of those aerials). So technically, it could be legal. Of course, there's no buildings like that anywhere near the city, but at least they tried!

There were only two *SMALL* things that threw me off. One is at one point (I'm not sure when, exactly, I think it was at the beginning in Fury's big scene), someone referred to "17th Ave." Um, that isn't a street. The State-based names are Avenues (Pennsylvania Ave, Georgia Ave, etc), and the numbered streets are streets (17th St.). So that was off. And then there's a scene where Stilwell is listing airports - and he says "BWI, IAD, Regan." Yeah, no one here calls it IAD. It's Dulles.

Just saying, why can't they ever hire one person from the city they're supposed to be depicting for an hour or two to proofread that stuff? Seems like a simple fix.

Overall though, I give it a B+ for the depiction of DC.

Oh, and an A+ otherwise. I still like Avengers better, but it's right up there. Loved Cap's fighting style.

I really liked MoS and think this new film will be awesome but going head to head vs Marvel is dumb.

I guess I wasn't crazy - Cap's "To Do" list varies by region:

mQ3pyzF.jpg

(France's)

https://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movi...s-to-do-list-across-the-globe--194542393.html

I really liked MoS and think this new film will be awesome but going head to head vs Marvel is dumb.

I don't think DC ever intended to go head to head with Marvel, I think, as, I believe, Chris Evans put it, they're playing a game of chicken. I think this was just DC's way of letting Marvel know that they believe in their film enough that they would actually wager it would beat Marvel's latest outing. Give it time; clearer heads (specifically those in accounting, who will no doubt chew the publicity/marketing people out, when they realize just how much money they'd be losing by going head to head with Cap) will prevail.:lol

How does Cap survive all of these falls and jumps from great heights? He's nearly invincible. I don't recall him ever jumping out of planes with no parachute in the funny books.

Cap-El

Forget Cap, how about

Spoiler Spoiler:

Last edited:

I don't think DC ever intended to go head to head with Marvel, I think, as, I believe, Chris Evans put it, they're playing a game of chicken. I think this was just DC's way of letting Marvel know that they believe in their film enough that they would actually wager it would beat Marvel's latest outing. Give it time; clearer heads (specifically those in accounting, who will no doubt chew the publicity/marketing people out, when they realize just how much money they'd be losing by going head to head with Cap) will prevail.:lol

I hope Fox announces Apocalypse for that date :lol

How does Cap survive all of these falls and jumps from great heights? He's nearly invincible. I don't recall him ever jumping out of planes with no parachute in the funny books.

First of all... "Funny books"!!? Lol. Who calls them funny books?

Secondly in the ultimates issue 1 cap says "parachutes are for pussies" and jumps sans chute. Later he jumps into time square from a helicopter with no line or chute.

His entire existence in the Silver Age and beyond is based on him surviving a freefall from an exploding plane and landing in icy water.

It's not like the guy is is Superman or invincible or something. I was worried at first after I saw the comments from the folks who went to the early viewings. "He falls out of a 200 story building . . . whaaaaaa?" After seeing the movie though, it all felt right.

Anyone that wants to say he's invincible didn't see him take a bullet to the gut or missed the part where his old friend almost beat him to death.

Cap-El

Forget Cap, how about

Spoiler Spoiler:

I do admit to thinking that the whole scene where

Spoiler Spoiler:
was pretty over the top in a "Peter Jackson" kind of way. I half expected Falcon to unleash a giant melting gold statue on Crossbones at that point. :lol

But even with that said my wife commented on how cool it was that

Spoiler Spoiler:

She liked that it was a story where badasses on either side survived being put through the ringer and not just the script immune good guys.

Anyone that wants to say he's invincible didn't see him take a bullet to the gut or missed the part where his old friend almost beat him to death.

Word. You know that after his last comment to Bucky he was prepared to be dead within one or two more punches.

This is a very interesting game of "movie chicken".

I think Marvel is prepared to crash and WB will swerve at the last minute. WB is notoriously risk-adverse, hesitant and run by suits. And honestly, at the end of the day, it's "bad business". If I was in the WB studio, I would let the date hang for a while but once it got closer, maybe late 2015/early 2016 and we saw a clearer picture of the movies coming out and dates, I would move it.

You want to capitalize on the biggest movie audience possible, and it's better to run against NO competition, then it is to run against some...especially a heavy-hitter like Marvel Studios.

Last edited:

I don't know much about Cap's strength levels from the comics but I was overjoyed and pleasantly surprised to see him running through walls, windows and taking huge falls. It was also amazing to finally see him fight and move the way he was meant to.

No Xmen in this Marvel universe. Mutants are made not born.
In this case Von Strucker and Hydra gave the twins powers via Lokis scepter but the "How" is unknown.
Did you see the second credits scene with Bucky?

I highly doubt it's from his scepter since that just has the Mind Gem in it

I highly doubt it's from his scepter since that just has the Mind Gem in it

Its speculated that it is the mind gem. Even Fiege doesn't know for sure. But Strucker did mention experiments and it is led to believe that they were using the sceptre

This is a very interesting game of "movie chicken".

I think Marvel is prepared to crash and WB will swerve at the last minute. WB is notoriously risk-adverse, hesitant and run by suits. And honestly, at the end of the day, it's "bad business". If was in the studio, I would let the date hang for a while but once it got closer, maybe late 2015/early 2016 and we saw a clearer picture of the movies coming out and dates, I would move it.

You want to capitalize on the biggest movie audience possible, and it's better to run against NO competition, then it is to run against some...especially a heavy-hitter like Marvel Studios.

I really can't help but think of the "Hit Me!" scene in TDK. Marvel is the Joker in this case and DC is Batman. You know they're going to blink first. :lol

And for those STILL missing the after credits scenes, Marvel has been doing this since their first film. You should all know by now to stay in that theater until the lights come up and the cleaning crew ask you to leave.

Back