Can we be classified as contemporary art collectors?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After reading some of the posts after mine (mainly thenammagazine and Rook) I've decided that reproductions don't qualify as art. If the original qualifies as art, then the rest are simply copies of art. I think that's the most that can be said of these statues and figures (unless they've been customized, and according to the standards of the definition I quoted above). They have the effect of art, but are not art themselves.

They're definitely contemporary, though.

I'd argue they're just the same as a lithograph of Monet's impressionist work, or a high-res photo of Michaelangelo's David. They're definitely art, and can be displayed as much and called such, just not original art; but copies of it. There's been a copy of the Mona Lisa displayed in place of the original in the Louvre as art for how long now?

I'd argue they're just the same as a lithograph of Monet's impressionist work, or a high-res photo of Michaelangelo's David. They're definitely art, and can be displayed as much and called such, just not original art; but copies of it. There's been a copy of the Mona Lisa displayed in place of the original in the Louvre as art for how long now?

However the collectibles are all hand painted. A lithograph or machine processed reproduction is not prone to having individual character.

Also consider if a person is looking at a photograph of a famous statue such as David is the observer admiring the photograph or the subject matter?

There isn't ever going to be a simple answer to "What is art?"

Exactly.

However the collectibles are all hand painted. A lithograph or machine processed reproduction is not prone to having individual character.

I just gave one (or, relayed it).

It's not the individual 'character'of the work that defines it. The process of selection in which details to include, exclude, etc. is the essential attribute, and that has already been performed by the original creator(s). The factory painters are more akin to members of a symphony orchestra. They're performers, and they play the role of presenting the art/making it available for an audience/customer to experience.

I disagree. There's a lot of work that goes into making a lithograph that accurately represents the subject matter, adjusting hues, tones, balance, etc. Said tech is usually a graphic artist. So I'd say both are art, just different mediums. ;)

Also consider if a person is looking at a photograph of a famous statue such as David is the observer admiring the photograph or the subject matter?

There is. He's admiring art based on art, the photograph and the subject matter all at once, henceforth, 2 forms of art via a single medium. ;)

This topic would make for an interesting poll. Hell you could have even incorporated it into your paper, worstgamerever.

Could you help me out with something worstgamerever? I avoid academic art professionals like the plague, so I'm pretty much ignorant.

What is the definition of contemporary art? That is, other than art which is produced in the present?

I know that your post is aimed at worstgamerever but maybe I can offer some answer. I took a modern literature class in college a few yrs back. An example of contemporary film/movie is Vanilla Sky. Basically, the viewer is overwhelmed. Is the character in a dream state or actually living the moment? He explains his innocence and went back or flash back. The character is confused. Everything is easy and he's wealthy or was. He is overwhelmed by the wealth/easy life, conspiracy of a take over or he was framed of a murder, and the consequences of his action(hence prison). The ending might just be the beginning of another repetitive scene.
Another example of a contemporary movie is The Matrix. Neo is overwhelmed with the sensory that he didn't know he's living in a virtual reality world. He's confuse/shocked with the realization that reality is not what's he's known it to be. Another theme of this movie is the "Chaos theory" but that is another issue.
If you want a more mundane/daily life example of comtemporary art is technology. Look at the Wii system. Is it a game or therapuetic exercise system? You can watch movies, communicate, etc. You'll get overwhelmed by various media/functionality/etc. Others technological wonders includes the iPhone, Blackberry, etc. Technology is definitely a wrok as art. It doesn't have to be in a classical expression as a statue or painting to be art.
So basically, one of the characteristic of contemporary art is being overhwelmed by various sensory, having various and abundant resources.

Last edited:
Back