Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2's Murderous Mess

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that why he was always staring at my ass? :confused: :horror :D

No, it just seems that way.
As your always running for the Boom shot and Im right behind.
That and I hide behind you online.
Those bad men want to hurt me.:monkey2

I'll pick this game up soon enough(rent not buy)
But right now Dragon Age dominates my time.
I cant form any real opinions on the infamous level in CoD as I havent played it.
But on the face of it it seems a great way to get more publicity for the game as if that was needed.
Just wondering what players thought of the level.
Like I said before the "Its just a game" is intellectually dishonest for the most part.
How far does it go?
Is there ever a cut off point?
Or can it all just be rationalized away as "creative expression?"
Wheres good taste gone? That line just keeps getting pushed back further and further in society.
Just because you have the freedom to indulge doesnt mean you always should. :monkey3

Too deep for this board?
Well pick up your lancer and noob saw ****** bags on Gears boys!!
Oh wait that game is a glitchy blow fest anyways, forget it.:lol

Last edited:
yup....and you thought it was you were a charming mofo :lol

ohhh he he wants to be your best friend, your bed friend :lol

Said the dress/kilt wearing scotsman who offers "Nessie rides" when he's four sheets to the wind.:horror

Played the level. I didn't shoot a single civilian. Just couldn't do it. However, once the cops started throwing grenades at me it was kill or be killed and I blasted those mo fo's :lol

I just played it too, and it really wasn't that bad. It's just the media going overboard again regarding video game violence.

HOWEVER, it really would have helped if we had some cinematics briefing the character on his mission, rather than just have the voiceover during the loading/update screen. Would have had more of an impact if you could see the commander or whoever urging how this would be a difficult mission and would mess with your head.

well I unleashed my full clip, head shots and everything

you know why?.....cause i'm adult enough to know it's only a game

I don't think there is a right or wrong decision. It's how you want to play the game because as you said it's just a game.

Some people play games like Fable and choose to be evil and do evil deeds. Other people choose to play it ultra good. Who the ???? cares?

I choose to play on the good side because that's just me. And you know what? Who gives a shat what I do. I say have fun with it and play the game. I don't understand why people are so quick to get on games when there has still been worse seen in movies?

Yeah, I stabbed a couple of guys in the back as they crawled away from me. Big deal. 99.5% of the population knows it's just a game. The other .499% are the people who complain and make a mountain out of a molehill, and sadly, there are the .001% that the.499% can blame video games on when they do something psychotic.

YES! I totally agree with this. I lay waste to those innocent civvies. I did it in grand theft auto and I do it in modern warfare. It's only a game. I'm not retarded. I don't take this stuff literally and I would NEVER do this in real life.

It's only a game. I'm not hurting anybody. If some little kid plays this and then goes on a shooting rampage, it isn't this games fault. That kid was going to anyway. It's the parents job to monitor what children play. Any adult who buys this game should be able to tell the difference betwen this and reality.

I understand why people would have problems shooting unarmed people but being that it is a game, what's the difference between killing an armed person or an unarmed person. If killing a virtual person gets you feeling bad, why the heck did you buy this. Go pick up Elmo's Number Adventure instead.

Hey its only a game right? We get it, but you don't have to be a hostile prick. :rolleyes:

All were saying is if we didn't enjoy it we'll opt out, and thats what I did. I play a game for entertainment and to me, murdering unarmed civilians isn't "fun." I'll stick with MP which is.

I want a challenge, a target that can fight back.

So with that, instead of an elmo quote, let me leave you with something from another great video game to think about.

"We all make choices, but in the end, our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan

Hey its only a game right? We get it, but you don't have to be a hostile prick. :rolleyes:

All were saying is if we didn't enjoy it we'll opt out, and thats what I did. I play a game for entertainment and to me, murdering unarmed civilians isn't "fun." I'll stick with MP which is.

I want a challenge, a target that can fight back.

So with that, instead of an elmo quote, let me leave you with something from another great video game to think about.

"We all make choices, but in the end, our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan

Question. Do those who chose to opt out or couldn't stomach the mission not watch movies like Terminator or Rambo or stuff like that? In The Terminator, the Tech Noir scene where Arnie locates the Sarah he is really after, he guns down lots of innocent unarmed citizens. In T2, when the T-1000 locates John and he ducks back in the hallway in the mall, Pepsi can carry guy gets shot to death right there. The only weapon he was armed with was caffeine. The latest Rambo film was full of innocents getting gunned down too. Women, men, children... Gunned down by the Burmese terrorist guys.

My question is, why is it different for people to get enjoyment out of watching it on the screen but when it comes down to actually being the guy doing it in a make believe setting, people have an issue?

I didn't mean to sound like a prick Deckard but I just don't understand the difference between not being able to stomach it in a game but being able to be okay with it in a movie. Heck your avatar and signature are about a movie where a guy puts an axe into the back of an innocent and unarmed cook.

I just finished the campaign not too long ago. It took me all but a short evening.

I don't sit on any side of this "controversy", I just want to say that all this hoopla about this one (admittedly powerful) sequence is totally wasted when taken as a whole with the rest of the story. The narrative and plot of this game is so rote that this horrible, shocking scene loses most of its meaning. It's just there to evoke a feeling of hatred toward the villain. That's really all it is. That's just so shallow, it's embarrassing.

I played as my friend watched, and he asked me: "What's the point of this?"

I couldn't really say. There isn't anything to it underneath the shock value.

Question. Do those who chose to opt out or couldn't stomach the mission not watch movies like Terminator or Rambo or stuff like that? In The Terminator, the Tech Noir scene where Arnie locates the Sarah he is really after, he guns down lots of innocent unarmed citizens. In T2, when the T-1000 locates John and he ducks back in the hallway in the mall, Pepsi can carry guy gets shot to death right there. The only weapon he was armed with was caffeine. The latest Rambo film was full of innocents getting gunned down too. Women, men, children... Gunned down by the Burmese terrorist guys.

My question is, why is it different for people to get enjoyment out of watching it on the screen but when it comes down to actually being the guy doing it in a make believe setting, people have an issue?

I didn't mean to sound like a prick Deckard but I just don't understand the difference between not being able to stomach it in a game but being able to be okay with it in a movie. Heck your avatar and signature are about a movie where a guy puts an axe into the back of an innocent and unarmed cook.

Simple, going by your referance specifically, I'm not the one choosing to gun down innocent people in a bar in Terminator. Again the answer your looking for seems to be personal choice or actual participation. I have no say if the people in Terminator live or die, I'm not standing behind Arnold with a machine gun. I'm simply an observer. It's also the level and how it relates, 3-4 innocents gunned down in crossfire by accident vs targeting hundreds of unarmed men and women on purpose.

Games on the other hand make you as much a part of them as possible, thats the entire idea, for you to be the one who is to make the desicions. The people who made it want you to forget your playing a game and to become a part of the world they have created, this is what developers strive for. Total immersion. You can use the its jsut a game excuse but its bs. If you doubt that a game has persuasion why don't you stop and think about the fact that the game is the reason people called out of work, or went out at midnight and stayed up late. Games have plenty of influence.

I'm not condemning the entire game, it simply could have told the story without that level, since it doesn't I just skipped it. I am enjoying the mp, I am already a Sergeant Major.

Last edited:
well, it's also what the whole plot of the rest of the game is based on. Without that part there wouldn't be the rest of the game.

That's part of my point. This sequence is so pivotal that it makes the rest of the story seem unworthy of it. Like I said before, the story is so...perfunctory and one-note that it makes this scene less meaningful. It could have just been a custcene -- it might as well have been. It doesn't impart anything to the player. I kept asking myself "why does Infinity Ward want me to do this?" Why is player involvement necessary for this? Are they trying to say something? Is there a message they want to impart to the player by having me play this? No. It's just throwaway scene devoid of any moral consequence.

On a tangential note, I hate how often the story is doled out to the player as mission briefings.

Back